2019 Sign, Draft or Promote - Starting TE

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the starting TE position?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting TE position?

• Keep Rudolph as the starting TE
    • Sign a free agent (State preference in thread)
    • Draft a replacement for Rudolph (State preference in thread)
    • Promote Tyler Conklin to starting TE
    • Other

We did this last a couple of years ago, I think it's time to drag it back up to evaluate where the Vikings go from here, so they can make a triumphant return to the playoffs next year.  Let's move on to the starting TE position...

2018 depth at the position:  Kyle Rudolph, David Morgan II, Tyler Conklin (additionally Cedrick Lang and Josiah Price on IR)

2019 Outgoing Free Agents: None

Potential Free Agents Available: Tyler Eifert, Tyler Kroft, Jesse James, Maxx Williams, CJ Uzomah, Nick Boyle, Jeff Heuerman

Potential Draftees:  Noah Fant (Iowa), Kaden Smith (Stanford), Irv Smith (Alabama), Jace Sternberger (Texas A&M), TJ Hockenson (Iowa)

What should the Vikings do to improve this position?  Sign a free agent, Draft a replacement, or Promote from Within?  For the record, any of the options chosen other than retaining Rudolph means that you believe the Vikings should either renegotiate or outright cut Kyle Rudolph.

I haven't thought much about how Stefanski might want to use the TE position but if the team can't get Rudolph to take a pay cut I would promote David Morgan before promoting Conklin to the starting job -- unless you are thinking a base offense with two TEs and already counted Morgan.

So, I try to get Rudolph to take a couple million dollar a year pay cut. If he refuses, I cut him, promote Morgan, and look for a cheap free agent as a backup. I then draft a TE (for something like the fifth year in a row iirc) in the mid to late rounds hoping he beats out the free agent in camp.

And, all of this might change after I learn more about what Stefanski wants out of the position.

I picked sign a FA.  I think Maxx Williams would do good here.  I'd look to  Re-work Rudolph's contract, if he's unwilling then a cut is likely.  I'd also look to the draft as I just personally don't believe in Conklin 

17 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I haven't thought much about how Stefanski might want to use the TE position but if the team can't get Rudolph to take a pay cut I would promote David Morgan before promoting Conklin to the starting job -- unless you are thinking a base offense with two TEs and already counted Morgan.

So, I try to get Rudolph to take a couple million dollar a year pay cut. If he refuses, I cut him, promote Morgan, and look for a cheap free agent as a backup. I then draft a TE (for something like the fifth year in a row iirc) in the mid to late rounds hoping he beats out the free agent in camp.

And, all of this might change after I learn more about what Stefanski wants out of the position.

I pretty much view Morgan as the "blocking" TE, so he'll likely always be considered the #2 guy in today's NFL.  He is awfully critical to the team, so he'll likely be in lots of plays regardless of who is deemed to be the starting/receiving TE.  

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I pretty much view Morgan as the "blocking" TE, so he'll likely always be considered the #2 guy in today's NFL.  He is awfully critical to the team, so he'll likely be in lots of plays regardless of who is deemed to be the starting/receiving TE.  

I would rather use Morgan as the base TE and bring in a receiving TE than have Conklin as a base TE and bringing in a blocking TE. Morgan can catch. I have seen nothing from Conklin that would make me feel bad about the team cutting him all together. Turning to him to become the starting TE is not something that I would be excited about right now.

I would rather not have a TE on the field that can't block. Pass protection and run blocking are more important than receiving ability and ability to get yards after the catch. I love me some Kleinsasser -- a TE that is one of the best blocking TEs in the game that can catch well enough to grab the wide open throws to him and then fall forward for a yard. Sure, a Gronkowski would be better but you just don't find those for what I would be willing to pay considering the other needs on the team.

If I can get Tyler Croft or Maxx Williams on a decent deal I sign them and let Rudolph go.  Second choice would be to get Rudolph sign a short-term team friendly deal.  Either way I am looking to get a TE in the first half of the draft, with the priority being higher if I don't get a FA TE or Rudolph doesn't return.

Rudolph is a prime candidate for a contract restructure, so that’d be my first option. Then I’d look to the draft in a very loaded class. Whether or not Rudolph restructures is how I’d base my level of commitment on a draft pick. If Rudolph refuses and is subsequently released, I’d look for a TE as high as the 2nd round. If Rudolph stays, then I might look closer to the 4th-5th round range. Someone to compete with Conklin. 

But, I’d stick be very hesitant to move on from one of the more dependable and productive tight ends in the league without having a replacement on the roster. 

What happened to the tight ends who were 3 down players?  The ones who could catch and gain yardage after the catch...block at the line of scrimmage...as well as block downfield!  Are they extinct as a species?

51 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

What happened to the tight ends who were 3 down players?  The ones who could catch and gain yardage after the catch...block at the line of scrimmage...as well as block downfield!  Are they extinct as a species?

I think Hockensen could be it

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

Yes, because the popular tight ends these days are just guys who used to be wide receivers, but are too heavy and too slow to play as NFL wide receivers....or they were just college basketball power forwards who aren't good enough to play in the NBA.

On 1/16/2019 at 11:43 AM, NoDakViking said:

I think Hockensen could be it

Agree.

He's the complete package. Hands, speed, smarts, blocking. He can play any role you ask him and can fit into any offense.

He's the tight end version of Harrison Smith. Not truly "elite" in one area but very good in all areas which makes for a great player.

Archived