G08

2019 Draft: Targets

Our picks:

3rd

4th

5th

7th

7th (from Eagles)

Discuss... I wonder if those 7th rounders will be for a K and P.

I think you can slot a RB in there pretty high.

The OL needs an investment as in 2020 I doubt that we see Long and Massie on the team.

The Bears need an athletic TE to backup Burton, watching Shaheen try and threaten the seam was comical/

Backup OLB, we cannot afford Lynch.

CB to compete with Tolliver for Prince's spot in 2020.

Yeah Shaheen looked pretty brutal but I'll chalk that up to the ankle injury he suffered in camp. I don't give a crap about his massive size anymore... tell him to drop his weight to 255 and work endlessly on his hip flexibility. Getting in around out of routes for him is almost comical.

11 minutes ago, G08 said:

Yeah Shaheen looked pretty brutal but I'll chalk that up to the ankle injury he suffered in camp. I don't give a crap about his massive size anymore... tell him to drop his weight to 255 and work endlessly on his hip flexibility. Getting in around out of routes for him is almost comical.

I still do not think that he can play that flex TE spot.

This sounds crazy, but I think the Bears should probably trade down unless a real talent falls to them.

They should trade Howard for whatever picks they can get.

They need to use day 3 and UDFA to add a ton of guys to the team.

On a pure needs basis:

-RT potentially this year, though I feel like we'll just extend Massie since I don't expect him to break the bank.

-RG can probably wait a year but wouldn't hesitate if there's value as Long is one of our worst contracts right now.

-RB "3" Remove Mizzell from existence... Really aren't many of these guys in the draft, from what I've seen. At least none that I'd say are dynamic enough to matter. Maybe convert a WR or look for a college QB who isn't going to play QB at the next level.

-RB "1" Losing faith in Howard for this system.... Long shot he's there when we draft, but Montgomery from Iowa State would be perfect, reminds me a ton of Kareem Hunt coming out.

-WR... Faster, more elusive, and deep ball threat....Andy Isabella I think is the most intriguing option. I'm expecting him to dominate the Senior Bowl

-TE 3.... I like Shaheen as the inline guy since he can block decently, with burton being used all over.... I'm not sure Braunecker isn't fine for this role already, it's not like he'll cost a ton.

-SS I don't expect Amos back, and I think I want someone with better ball skills more akin to having 2x FS instead of a FS and a SS... since I expect a heavier Blitz

-CB  Amukamara is aging, and Tolliver can't be the only guy we rely on.

-K for somewhat obvious reasons regarding Parkey, but also because FA options probably burn too much cap space.

-OLB behind Floyd and Mack.... Hoping Fitts can step it up, but this is a big concern to me.

So 10x positions of need (one double dip at RB) and only 5 picks (6 if we ship Howard out)... Rough offseason for Pace to try and plug the holes, and those are just the ones we can see right now, remember a large reason we where so successful is because we where so healthy overall.... Depth for a couple positions is a bit frightening.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

This sounds crazy, but I think the Bears should probably trade down unless a real talent falls to them.

They should trade Howard for whatever picks they can get.

They need to use day 3 and UDFA to add a ton of guys to the team.

Depends on how the board shakes out... round 2 is my favorite round of the draft and round 3 is right behind it. Players tend to fall through the cracks for whatever reason and I'd rather take my bite at the best available in round 3 than to trade down to round 4 and pick up another 5th pick (or whatever).

3rd/4th/5th/7th/7th I think you can address kicker and punter with the two 7th rounders. 3rd/4th should be some combination of OT and RB (assuming we don't go after Hunt). 

38 minutes ago, G08 said:

Depends on how the board shakes out... round 2 is my favorite round of the draft and round 3 is right behind it. Players tend to fall through the cracks for whatever reason and I'd rather take my bite at the best available in round 3 than to trade down to round 4 and pick up another 5th pick (or whatever).

3rd/4th/5th/7th/7th I think you can address kicker and punter with the two 7th rounders. 3rd/4th should be some combination of OT and RB (assuming we don't go after Hunt). 

I’m not opposed to drafting a kicker or bringing in a rookie as a UDFA but I suspect they’ll want more of a veteran presence and sure thing on a team that is in win now mode and just lost a playoff game because of uncertainty at the position. 

I’d go with a new punter. For a guy once touted as “MegaPunt” O’Donnell was 20th in yardage, 17th in net yardage, his season long (65) tied for just 15th best, and he tied for the 2nd most touchbacks. That is decidedly average. 

For me round 4 is the important one.

I would be interested in seeing if the 3rd or 4th round yields more production.

I think the high end talent usually runs out at the backend of the 2nd round.

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m not opposed to drafting a kicker or bringing in a rookie as a UDFA but I suspect they’ll want more of a veteran presence and sure thing on a team that is in win now mode and just lost a playoff game because of uncertainty at the position. 

I’d go with a new punter. For a guy once touted as “MegaPunt” O’Donnell was 20th in yardage, 17th in net yardage, his season long (65) tied for just 15th best, and he tied for the 2nd most touchbacks. That is decidedly average. 

I think we should draft a punter in the 7th round or sign one as an UDFA. I am not interested in paying many of the average free agents or O'Donnell coming back.

I do not see the Bears investing big cap dollars in the RB spot. My guess is that means it will be more of a draft priority.

I'd be willing to bet that Kyle Long would be open to taking a paycut to stay on the team.  He's been on this team through the worst of times, and has always been a positive voice and team player.   I can't imagine he'd want to jump ship if a reasonable offer was made to get him to stay with the team, especially when they are just now on the upswing.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I do not see the Bears investing big cap dollars in the RB spot. My guess is that means it will be more of a draft priority.

In my mind Hunt is already on the team.  

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

In my mind Hunt is already on the team.  

In reality he already should be lol

Had a chance to lock up a top player that fits the scheme and is cheap AF right before an off-season with limited resources. Really a missed opportunity. 

14 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

In reality he already should be lol

Had a chance to lock up a top player that fits the scheme and is cheap AF right before an off-season with limited resources. Really a missed opportunity. 

Its little things that can win or lose titles.  Margin for error is small.  

A kick that goes off 2 uprights for example.