2019 Draft: Targets

G08

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

With two seconds next year (one of which is Oakland’s and may be an early 2) I don’t think it’s off the radar to move up from the 3rd to late 2 by packaging one of our extra picks next year if Montgomery (or some other back) is our guy. Pace has definitely been aggressive in that manner before if he loves a prospect. 

I am hoping Oakland is terrible next year.  Just like they were hoping we would be terrible this year.

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

With two seconds next year (one of which is Oakland’s and may be an early 2) I don’t think it’s off the radar to move up from the 3rd to late 2 by packaging one of our extra picks next year if Montgomery (or some other back) is our guy. Pace has definitely been aggressive in that manner before if he loves a prospect. 

They could. They should have 2 additional 4th round picks coming there way for Amos and Callahan if they both walk.

I would be fine using future draft capital to get "the guy".

I want to see Montgomery run. 4.5 or lower and I am in with the move up.

NYDN is projecting Isaiah Crowell as a possible cut with the Jets in the Le’Veon sweepstakes. He’s a guy who really intrigues me. Battled a foot injury basically all of last year but prior to that was pretty productive in 4 years for a woeful Cleveland squad, and he’s a capable receiver as well (40 catches in 2016 before Duke emerged as their primary 3rd down back). Paired with a rookie I could get behind that. 

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Assuming we lose Amos in FA but don't trade Howard what's our priority in round three, RB or SS, provided there are guys Pace likes at both positions?

Paul, I know you are high on Coward for the Oline and presumably Windy is too for RG but I really like McCoy from Texas A&M who has been getting middle 2nd and high 3rd round grades in recent mocks. I would not mind moving up 10-15 spaces if he is still on the board. 

• Like 1

On 13/02/2019 at 8:29 PM, WindyCity said:

Right now

2 [Mack]

4 [Amos]

4 [Callahan]

5 [Mack]

6 [Lynch]?

This for me is why 2020 is our best 100% best chance at a championship...with so much young talent we could do it next year but in 2020 with guys really picking up this offence...year 2 under Pagano and the ability to add some impact starters and quality depth I struggle to see that not being our best chance...

I would keep our resources for that and not move up in this years draft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, malagabears said:

Paul, I know you are high on Coward for the Oline and presumably Windy is too for RG but I really like McCoy from Texas A&M who has been getting middle 2nd and high 3rd round grades in recent mocks. I would not mind moving up 10-15 spaces if he is still on the board. 

Love McCoy. Had never heard of him pre Senior Bowl and he was awesome the entire time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, malagabears said:

You're talking about Erik McCoy?

Knowing Pace he'll draft the best player on his board at a position he feels he needs to fill and I suppose it could be an OL.

I read an article yesterday about how his mentor Mickey Loomis, NOLA's GM, has been so successful drafting in round three and why Pace may be well advised to do the same since for the most part his third round picks like Grasu and Bullard have not panned out as expected primarily because both were undersized for the positions they were drafted to play.

The gist of it was that Loomis identifies players who stick out athletically and who have produced better than expected at the college level and who will also fit into the schemes NOLA runs.

With fewer picks this year and a need to hit on all three mid round 3-5 picks yet quite possibly fill positions where we'll lose starters I'd see him focusing more on guys who can come in and compete now much as he did in his 2018 draft.  But I also think a lot of it has to do with what happens with Amos, Callahan, and Howard and what he can accomplish in FA.

I can't focus all that much on many specific picks 'til I know where the holes are Pace may look to fill.  But I do believe he'll draft at least one OL.

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

We would (potentially) get comp picks for Amos, Callahan, Lynch in 2020 and not 2019?

Yes, in 2020 and by then we may need them more than we do now since we have so few starters to replace in 2019.

Edited by soulman

Regardless of what Pace decides to do with Howard I feel he'll prioritize drafting a RB this year in round 3 or round 4.  Here are two RBs I feel might be a nice fit for us.  Both are smaller more compact runners (5'9"/200lbs) who should work well running in a zone blocking scheme.

Of the two I think Henderson will be the more valued and more highly drafted and he could be off he board before we'd have a shot at him in round 3.   I like his speed and his toughness and having played at Memphis with Anthony Miller I expect a bit of that same attitude and drive to succeed.  Of the two I also think he has the best shot at becoming a feature back in the NFL whereas I feel Singletary will end up more a complimentary change of pace back and as a result may still be on the board after round 3.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/02/16/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-darrell-henderson/

Darrell Henderson is a potent backfield weapon who projects favorably to either zone or gap concepts as a rusher. Henderson would be best featured in an outside zone system with his speed and quickness to cut into the second level, but he’s got enough patience to be effective between the tackles. Henderson will need to prove he’s a feature player and in the meantime he’d be best implemented as a primary piece of a stable/crop of backs with complementary skills.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/02/17/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-devin-singletary/

Singletary projects most favorably to a zone scheme where he elusive traits, agility and ability to find creases is maximized. While he hasn’t been a standout receiver, evolving that component of his game will be critical in carving out a prominent NFL role. For a player of his stature and style, Singletary lacks true game-changing speed and quickness that would be preferred for his profile. His ability to find space and make tacklers miss should warrant touches, but how he develops the rest of his game will define his career and role.