2019 Draft: Targets

G08

Benny Snell Jr I think turns out to be the best RB of this class. If he’s there at 87 I think you sprint to the podium. I don’t buy all the “he’s too slow, he’s not explosive”  nonsense. His physicality and attitude on the field are Anthony Miller reincarnated at RB

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

Benny Snell Jr I think turns out to be the best RB of this class. If he’s there at 87 I think you sprint to the podium. I don’t buy all the “he’s too slow, he’s not explosive”  nonsense. His physicality and attitude on the field are Anthony Miller reincarnated at RB

I think that there issue with Howard is that he does not have an elite burst and homerun ability, I think that will be a priority.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

22 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think that there issue with Howard is that he does not have an elite burst and homerun ability, I think that will be a priority.

I gotta side with Windy on this guy.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/28/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-benny-snell/

In effect he just seems to be a similar back to Howard but one whose strength is the power/gap scheme we were using earlier in the 2018 season as opposed to moving back towards the outside zone scheme Howard does far better with.  And while scouting reports can sometimes be very wrong this part would concern me as far as drafting his as a lead RB.  He specs out more as a complimentary back with power and blocking skills but nothing of substance as a receiver.  I don't think he's the "fit" Pace and Nagy would be looking for.

While Snell enjoyed terrific production in college, his lack of burst and elusive traits limit his NFL upside. His vision, power and ability to win in pass pro are his keys to success in the NFL. By year three, Snell has the makings of a rotational back that offers value as a battering ram, pass protector and special teams contributor.

Add another position to the ones Pace considers "rare" - "Ball hawking" safety.  Good news for Jackson.  

Rare hard to find positions in his previous words are QB, Edge Rusher, Corner and now ball hawking safety. 

Always adding to my profile of him so we can better anticipate what he will do in given situations. 

Kind of a moving target because he is evolving a bit as he goes. 

• Like 1

My brief profile of Pace so far:

Pace has said in recent years that he wants to draft BPA regardless of position.  He will draft for need if has to, but he really doesn't like to be in that box.  

Floyd and White were hinted as past need draft picks in various spots.  He obviously can't say that outright.  But in GM speak basically what he has said in past or how I read it.  I believe those two drafts changed his outlook on draft philosophy. 

It is why he will attempt to fill every team hole with FA players pre draft often in recent drafts even if most of them are minimum pay journeyman.  He doesn't want to feel like he has to take a position to fill a need in draft. 

He wants to use draft to swing for fences on every pick and try to get impact high potential, high ceiling players regardless of position.  

For me, and this is more speculative on my part, I would say he is looking for players in draft that fit a general category I would list as 'difference maker.'  Of course everyone wants difference makers, but you rarely find them when you are filling needs unless you are drafting in first round where most everyone is good.   Packers drafted 3 WRs last year hoping numbers would let them find a good one, improving their odds so to speak.  Panthers did same thing a few years back with corners when replacing Norman.  Neither Panthers nor Packers could seriously believe they were getting 3 potential pro bowlers at one position.  They were throwing darts at guys they liked at one position.

You have to be free to take a chance on people with certain difference making traits that fall in draft for whatever reason.  When you are filling holes you aren't free.  You are looking only at certain guys and not casting a wide net.  

These are people Jimmy Johnson used to call 'momentum changers.'  That's what he used to look for in draft picks and he found a lot diamonds in rough that turned out to be pro bowl players or even hall of famers both at Dallas and Miami.  This is someone who makes big plays happen and/or has some quality that has to be accounted for in scheme.  Could be size, speed, leaping ability, crazy desire and intelligence, whatever.  I am not saying it only has to be a skill position.  Could be any position.  

He does prioritize positions as I have said above.  From his own hierarchy pieced together from various interviews or press conferences it goes:  QB, Pass Rusher, Corner, Ball Hawking FS.  But I think this info falls more into line with who he is willing to pay because of supply and demand. 

In draft he could take any position.  That being said, I think he is in a box when it comes to RB, due to salary cap and Howard's receiving limitations in Nagy's offense.  I think he will definitely take one to compete with Howard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, G08 said:

I can't wait to get these RB numbers down on paper.

I keep saying it but, right now, Miles Sanders feels like such a perfect pick/fit for us.

I’d say the same for Holyfield if he can catch. Love the way that kid runs the ball but i can’t see us taking a one-dimensional player. 

15 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Pace has said in recent years that he wants to draft BPA regardless of position.  He will draft for need if has to, but he really doesn't like to be in that box.  

Floyd and White were hinted as past need draft picks in various spots.  He obviously can't say that outright.  But in GM speak basically what he has said in past or how I read it.  I believe those two drafts changed his outlook on draft philosophy. 

It is why he will attempt to fill every team hole with FA players pre draft often in recent drafts even if most of them are minimum pay journeyman.  He doesn't want to feel like he has to take a position to fill a need in draft. 

Great post brother and I agree more than anything with this part.

White and Floyd were both lessons learned.  Especially White.  An inexperienced GM put himself in, or allowed his HC to put him in a situation whereby he needed to draft a guy who could become a #1 WR.  Cooper was a better choice but he was taken so there sits White who climbed the boards due to his Combine showing and made us forget about just how underdeveloped as a WR he really was.  Injuries played a part too but that was no more a factor than as far as the route tree and precision timing goes he just never "got it".

Floyd is better but still not the feared edge rusher he was drafted to be and that's never been much of a shock to me.  He wasn't an uber productive pass rusher in college either and lacked the size to bull rush or the moves to win consistently with speed alone.  Fortunately we've been able to allow him to use his versatility more like he did at Georgia and we've ended up with a very good OLB.

I've theorized that no matter how badly we may need a more versatile RB it may not end up being Pace's priority if his guy isn't there early so a RB may not be his top pick and he can also protect himself by signing a hybrid type FA RB.  I've suggested Spencer Ware as an example but there are others. The same may be true of a CB and SS if we lose on or both of Amos and/or Callahan.

Being able to draft "his guys" where he took them I believe has been why he's been so successful in the middle rounds and I'd look for him to use a similar approach again this year.  If it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, soulman said:

Floyd is better but still not the feared edge rusher he was drafted to be and that's never been much of a shock to me.  He wasn't an uber productive pass rusher in college either and lacked the size to bull rush or the moves to win consistently with speed alone.  Fortunately we've been able to allow him to use his versatility more like he did at Georgia and we've ended up with a very good OLB.

I think it was @CBears019 and I who were beating that drum before and during that draft.  Floyd was not a pass rusher, he was a LB who rushed the passer sometimes.

Floyd was and is a stunt rusher. He is a blitzer who excels when he is rushing in a combo gap switch with a DL, not someone you line up and just rush off the edge.  However, like you just said and we said at time, Floyd brings more to table then just pass rushing.  It was just Bears badly needed pass rushing at time.  Mack addition really helps value of Floyd.  It lets Floyd be Floyd.  

He is long and he can drop in coverage.  He covers a lot of ground in run and passing game and is hard to throw over or around.  A quick back like Patriots White can and did make him look stupid on a 2 way go, but just dropping zone he is very effective and disruptive player.

His straight pass rushing has improved too.

What a lot of us were saying after Bears drafted R. Smith was Fangio needed to have movement schemes.  Smith is an excellent blitzer and can close on ball with a lot of suddenness.  Smith and Floyd are both  juke rushers and can be extremely disruptive if used accordingly.  Fangio doesn't like to do that too much although he did it more later in year.  Pagano I hear is much more into that so this could be an exciting year.  Hoping he plays to their strengths and plays a lot less vanilla despite success Fangio had being more vanilla last year.  

• Like 1

Anybody really studied the RBs yet?

I haven't at all.

If you have let's hear your scouting reports and who your top targets for Bears are and where you think these players will be selected or alternatively where you would be willing to take them.

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Anybody really studied the RBs yet?

I haven't at all.

If you have let's hear your scouting reports and who your top targets for Bears are and where you think these players will be selected or alternatively where you would be willing to take them.

Here's their 40 times

NAME COLLEGE POSITION TIME(seconds)  
Anderson, Rodney Oklahoma RB -  
Armstead, Ryquell Temple RB 4.45 VIDEO
Barnes, Alex Kansas St. RB 4.59  
Brossette, Nick LSU RB 4.72  
Gaskin, Myles Washington RB 4.58 VIDEO
Harris, Damien Alabama RB 4.57 VIDEO
Henderson, Darrell Memphis RB 4.49 VIDEO
Higdon, Karan Michigan RB 4.49  
Hill, Justice Oklahoma St. RB 4.40 VIDEO
Holyfield, Elijah Georgia RB 4.78 VIDEO