2019 Draft: Targets

G08

On 3/16/2019 at 2:43 PM, Madmike90 said:

Lets make this interesting...

Jachai Polite had maybe the worst combine of anyone...rumour has it he is dropping like a stone...if he is their in the 3rd do we take the risk on the personality & inconsistency for the potential reward of a quality pass rusher?

I haven't watched him at all.

Worst combine of all time they say on google.  They said same thing about Orlando Brown last year and he ended up starting and playing well for Ravens.

Tape said Brown was a late first to second rounder and his play bears that out for an OT.   I scouted him and he made every block in college.

Combine made everybody freak and dropped him to 19th in the 3rd so Ravens got a deal. 

Trust the tape is usually a good rule of thumb unless they are tweeners (short arms, short, light in the butt).  Tweeners with bad work outs tend to fail a lot more.

Jachai Polite had maybe the worst combine of anyone...rumour has it he is dropping like a stone...if he is their in the 3rd do we take the risk on the personality & inconsistency for the potential reward of a quality pass rusher?

LOL. PFF can be such clowns.  

PFF:  "Going to light up the combine."  "Going to test off the charts."   

Reality:  Polite "has worst combine of all time."

Watched some of two games Michigan and LSU.

He has no skill, he just out athletes people.

He would be an NFL project not unlike Floyd was.   Unlike Floyd it doesn't look like they have him playing a lot of off ball in college, so I'm not sure why he didn't develop actual pass rush skills.  

I think he would be worth a 3rd round pick based on potential and value of the position.  He wouldn't be any good his first year in NFL I don't think.

On 3/16/2019 at 7:52 AM, dafreak said:

I agree with most of this but Rodgers cane make up for a lot of average players/draft picks. If their defense is improved I still think they will be the team to beat in the North unless Mitch takes a big jump. If that happens it wont even be close.

Unless Pace doesn't find ANYBODY in the draft, this simply isn't true. 

Just now, Heinz D. said:

Unless Pace doesn't find ANYBODY in the draft, this simply isn't true. 

Bears are team to beat in the North.  

They will have best defense in football next year barring injuries.  Offense can't help but improve.  

I think if a stud offensive playmaker emerges from Packers draft that could make them scary and Rogers gives them a chance any given Sunday, but on paper they aren't better than the Bears in 2019.

They may beat the Bears head to head, but I highly doubt they have a better overall record.

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Well, if he follows his philosophy even he doesn't know how it will go so no one could predict it.

According to him he has a list of ranked guys and is going by BPA regardless of position (mostly - I don't believe he doesn't factor need or replacements at all).  

If value is good enough, meaning if a player falls past where he thinks he will go, or if he just really, really want him he will trade up.

If value is bad or he wants more picks, presumably because a lot of guys on his list are still available, he will trade down.

Spot on.....or in other words Ed Zachary.  LOL

All we know, or think we know, is that S, CB, and RB are primary needs and OLB, OL, and TE appear to be secondary needs .  But if a TE or an OT Pace has a late 2nd/high 3rd grade on is still there when his 4th round pick comes he could easily take that guy and shove another position back a round.

When he first arrived I used to think I could predict his drafting to a degree.  Now it's more like playing Magic 8 Ball trying to get into his head and much like you describe.  He may have an end result in mind but what ingredients he's gonna combine to get there are unknown to any of us.

FWIW, I tend to make chili that way.  Never the same way twice.  xD

11 hours ago, soulman said:

Spot on.....or in other words Ed Zachary.  LOL

All we know, or think we know, is that S, CB, and RB are primary needs and OLB, OL, and TE appear to be secondary needs .  But if a TE or an OT Pace has a late 2nd/high 3rd grade on is still there when his 4th round pick comes he could easily take that guy and shove another position back a round.

When he first arrived I used to think I could predict his drafting to a degree.  Now it's more like playing Magic 8 Ball trying to get into his head and much like you describe.  He may have an end result in mind but what ingredients he's gonna combine to get there are unknown to any of us.

FWIW, I tend to make chili that way.  Never the same way twice.  xD

Mmmmmmm chili... 

15 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Watched some of two games Michigan and LSU.

He has no skill, he just out athletes people.

He would be an NFL project not unlike Floyd was.   Unlike Floyd it doesn't look like they have him playing a lot of off ball in college, so I'm not sure why he didn't develop actual pass rush skills.  

I think he would be worth a 3rd round pick based on potential and value of the position.  He wouldn't be any good his first year in NFL I don't think.

His lack of skill really bothers me as a coach.  I dont know what these coaches are doing.  Maybe they are trying their best and it isn't sinking in.

However, I strongly suspect either A) they are bad coaches or B) they figure what he is doing is working and these O linemen arent athletic enough to stop it so they aren't going to mess with it or make him do it right.

After all if you can just run by someone why bother doing it right?

As a teacher, which is what a coach is, this is an extreme disservice to your student.

In little league football you can win all you early games by blitzing hell out of other team.  Because sending a kid on a blitz is easy and teaching proper oline tech and scheme is hard. Most little league O line coaches retaliate by moving their O line foot to foot. 

Both methods are lazy teaching for immediate results and a disservice to the students.  You are sacrificing long term gain for short term accolades.

Watching Polite play I saw a Florida DB flash on the screen during a couple of plays that impressed me.  I think he will be a player to watch.

I don't watch CFB at all anymore other than after NFL season.   

I don't know what he was rated as a recruit or anything about him.  He was #21.  

Just googled Gator roster and #21 is Trey Dean III and is a freshman.   

Not saying he is a world beater off a handful of plays watched, but I think this guy likely has talent to play in NFL if he develops and improves.  

We'll see if time proves me right.

28 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If one of these RBs could fall to us it would be very nice

Miles Sanders

Darrell Henderson

Damien Harris

Those are the 3 that I think really fit the profile of what the Bears need.

That's all? I can think of a few more in no particular order:

David Montgomery

Devin Singletary

Justice Hill

Devine Ozigbo

I kind of like Travis Homer a bit as well, but he's a very, very VERY poor man's Matt Forte (minus the size).

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

That's all? I can think of a few more in no particular order:

David Montgomery

Devin Singletary

Justice Hill

Devine Ozigbo

I kind of like Travis Homer a bit as well, but he's a very, very VERY poor man's Matt Forte (minus the size).

Lack the athletic ability that I would hope for.

The other 2 I like, but I was thinking about more pick 87, which I would not spend on those 2. 126 and we can talk.

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Lack the athletic ability that I would hope for.

The other 2 I like, but I was thinking about more pick 87, which I would not spend on those 2. 126 and we can talk.

I think the way the RB pool looks to me, we might be looking at secondary at pick 87. Ha Ha may be a one year rental and Prince can be cut after this season if he gets banged up or shows any decline in play.

I think RB, if we are looking toward the future, may be someone Pace thinks has upside but he can still hedge behind Mike Davis.

As for the athletic ability, Montgomery and Singletary "on tape" have shown me the ability to make tacklers miss and good enough burst to hit a hole before it closes. If Montgomery is there at 87 I would almost have to take him.

What do you guys think of Jalen Hurd?

Former 5 star RB who left Tennessee and went to Baylor to play WR because RBs are being devalued.  He's 6'5.  I wonder why he played RB in first place?

But can be another multi tool guy that can presumably be picked up in mid to later rounds.

I haven't watched him yet, but his story intrigues me.

Archived