2019 Draft: Targets

G08

On 2/6/2019 at 3:49 PM, Epyon said:

potential mid-later round guy to keep an eye on:

Edge: Ronheen Bingham....

per roto (which is quoting PFF)

"Pro Football Focus is a website that focuses on the analytics, so it's not a surprise they're fans of a player that has won 30.2 percent of his opportunities as a rusher; second to just Ohio State's Nick Bosa in 2018. A junior college transfer, the 6-foot-2, 242-pound defender doesn't have elite size, but his production for an underrated Red Wolves team is certainly going to be something scouts keep an eye on. Don't be surprised if Bingham gets an invite to an All-Star event, and if he performs well there, he'll assuredly move up draft boards. "

Analytics also tend to indicate those who do best as pass rushers in the NFL are those who were also most productive at it college.

That seems to say some things can be taught but natural ability seems to be the prevailing factor.  Floyd's struggles to establish himself as a top flight edge rusher would seem to confirm this.

Based on this Pace may not find players as versatile as Mack and Floyd in the middle rounds but he could find a good rotational edge rusher.

Draft forum brought this one to my attention, today.... Under the radar guy that is apparently a combine snub and would be a -VERY- Ryan Pace style pick:

Darwin Thompson-RB  Utah State

5ft 8inch 200lb....

Player comps: "Saquon Barkley lite" and "Tarik Cohen"

Expected 40 time of 4.42 or faster, expected vertical over 40 inches.
Elite level contact balance when taking on hits, and overall running style very reminiscent of Barkley, with the Cohen comps mostly coming from his size I guess...
Great running and catching the ball, and could be a mid-later round steal, in the same vein Cohen was, and a pretty fantastic 1-2 punch with Tarik.

(obligatory highlight reel)
https://youtu.be/48ZOC8w9B5I

Also, watched more tape on Pollard (Memphis' other back behind Henderson).... I'd be more than happy with him getting a shot to come in and thanos snap any memory of Mizzell ever being on this team.

One of those two, and then a bigger bruiser type RB to replace Howard for short yardage and we'd be in a really good spot.... Or alternatively perhaps going for both, so have Cohen/Pollard/Thompson all essentially being 3rd down dual threat type backs and working in more spread style concepts/screens to get them working in space more.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I really like Darrell Henderson from Memphis.

Home rum ability.

I have a strong feeling he's going to go before our late 3rd, and while I do really like him, I don't like him enough to trade up, or trade next years Oakland 2nd for a late 2nd/early 3rd to get him (I'm stuck on doing that to go up and snag Andy Isabella-WR still).

But yeah both of Memphis' backs could theoretically find a good home here.... Henderson replacing Howard, and Pollard replacing Mizzell.... Henderson specifically reminds me a bunch of Tevin Coleman a few years ago, very dangerous slashing running style... though Henderson is built more compact and should ideally be a bit more durable as a result.

13 hours ago, Epyon said:

I have a strong feeling he's going to go before our late 3rd, and while I do really like him, I don't like him enough to trade up, or trade next years Oakland 2nd for a late 2nd/early 3rd to get him (I'm stuck on doing that to go up and snag Andy Isabella-WR still).

But yeah both of Memphis' backs could theoretically find a good home here.... Henderson replacing Howard, and Pollard replacing Mizzell.... Henderson specifically reminds me a bunch of Tevin Coleman a few years ago, very dangerous slashing running style... though Henderson is built more compact and should ideally be a bit more durable as a result.

Pollard would be interesting. He's a hell of a returner, too.

11 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

David Montgomery is my guy. I don’t think he makes it to our pick but MAN he looks like an ideal fit for us. 

NFL.com’s player comp for him: Kareem Hunt. 

I love Montgomery, I think early 3rd is his ceiling though. He just does too much well and has that ideal size guys like Henderson and Singletary lack.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I love Montgomery, I think early 3rd is his ceiling though. He just does too much well and has that ideal size guys like Henderson and Singletary lack.

With two seconds next year (one of which is Oakland’s and may be an early 2) I don’t think it’s off the radar to move up from the 3rd to late 2 by packaging one of our extra picks next year if Montgomery (or some other back) is our guy. Pace has definitely been aggressive in that manner before if he loves a prospect. 

Archived