2019 Draft: Targets

G08

2 hours ago, malagabears said:

I think we should look at a guard in the 3rd or 4th round. With Heistand we can afford to look in the later rounds but I like a couple of interior linemen in the 2nd/3rd round. Obviously we don't have a 2nd round pick.

I'd be fine with that. 

For drafting lineman I often hope they can play tackle, if not then they can kick to guard. In my "Be the GM" thread where we make real-time picks during the draft, I drafted Daniels, which is an oddity as I had no intention of him playing tackle. Sometimes the best OL/athlete with the highest ceiling is simply not going to be a tackle, though I think drafting OTs often is a safer pick in the long run. 

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I was really hoping for Thornhill but I just don't think he will last thay long after watching more of him.  

1 hour ago, ColGerBear said:

I just really really hope a safety drops in our lap if we do not keep Amos.

If there' any position I feel super confident in Pace finding talent at in the late rounds, it's the safety position.  Jackson (4th), Amos (5th) and Bush (4th) were all holding it down. 

24 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

If there' any position I feel super confident in Pace finding talent at in the late rounds, it's the safety position.  Jackson (4th), Amos (5th) and Bush (4th) were all holding it down. 

For the most part I agree.

He got a star in Jackson and a hell of a pick in Amos, but Bush, DHC, and Hall (though Hall was initially a CB) have been at best ST players. Bush may improve with time but still. 

3 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

For the most part I agree.

He got a star in Jackson and a hell of a pick in Amos, but Bush, DHC, and Hall (though Hall was initially a CB) have been at best ST players. Bush may improve with time but still. 

Ya but to your point all players minus Hall are still on the roster, and you can;t always judge a pick by if he's a starter or not.  Is he an effective backup and/or a special teams player?  Also, what was the return value based on where you selected all these guys.  Pace has drafted very few if any total busts in the secondary.

The more I learn about this McLaurin-WR guy that we met with at the Senior Bowl, the more I think he's going to be a prime target for us, potentially even on a trade up.

Taylor Gabriel level Fast, Good size, good route running, good agility, Great on ST, and -extremely high character- player.

I think odds are good we consider making a move for him if he's still on the board halfway through the 2nd, and I'd bet that we pull the trigger if he's on the board by the 3rd.

A key factor here is something Madmike90 mentioned in his end of season mock thread "if we cut Allen Robinson going into next offseason he count’s $2 million in dead money but saves us $13 million against the cap"   Reduce WR costs while improving the unit's overall speed/mismatch potential.

Trimming costs is going to be important, considering how significantly our drafting has improved under Pace.... these guys are going to start needing to get paid.  Cohen, Trubisky, A.Miller, Jackson are all going to cost us bigtime $$ in the next bunch of years.

I don't think I hate the RB options that may be there when we pick in round 3... some names I like based on preliminary "tape":

Elijah Holyfield

Darrell Henderson

Justice Hill

Bryce Love

Devine Ozigba

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

The more I learn about this McLaurin-WR guy that we met with at the Senior Bowl, the more I think he's going to be a prime target for us, potentially even on a trade up.

Taylor Gabriel level Fast, Good size, good route running, good agility, Great on ST, and -extremely high character- player.

I think odds are good we consider making a move for him if he's still on the board halfway through the 2nd, and I'd bet that we pull the trigger if he's on the board by the 3rd.

A key factor here is something Madmike90 mentioned in his end of season mock thread "if we cut Allen Robinson going into next offseason he count’s $2 million in dead money but saves us $13 million against the cap"   Reduce WR costs while improving the unit's overall speed/mismatch potential.

Trimming costs is going to be important, considering how significantly our drafting has improved under Pace.... these guys are going to start needing to get paid.  Cohen, Trubisky, A.Miller, Jackson are all going to cost us bigtime $$ in the next bunch of years.

You want to cut Robinson in year 2?

That seems outlandish.

Using fan speak and a quick look at game clips of best available that fell I took:

87: R3P23

S JOHNATHAN ABRAM. -  Emotional high motor player who seems to be all over the place.  This pick assumes Amos walks.  I think sans Amos this kid could compete with Bush for a starting position. 
MISSISSIPPI STATE
126: R4P24

TE DAX RAYMOND. - Really good receiver. Horrible blocker.  Not an inline player at moment, but good be really nice weapon to back up Burton as a flex player.  
UTAH STATE
163: R5P24

RB JUSTICE HILL. - Looks really fast and shifty in open field.  Looks to have good hands.  
OKLAHOMA STATE
227: R7P11

OT CHUMA EDOGA. - Former 5 start recruit.  Not strong enough to be a top end player, but has good feet which is rarer attribute and something you can build off if you want to develop an OT for future.  If he can add strength he might make it in the league.
USC
240: R7P24

CB COREY BALLENTINE - Couldn't find any tape on him.  Went off reputation and like to take small school guys later over 2nd string big school guys.  
WASHBURN

I think if Tru gels with Robinson then it is more likely Robinson gets extended and put on a highly guaranteed deal rather than cut. If he has another 50-55% completion percentage then he is likely a goner and WR becomes a primary need.

Gabriel was a speedster who averaged only 10YPC, though I feel that is more due to gross misuse from Nagy rather than his ability. Either Nagy uses him properly and his impact improves or he might as well be cut.

Amukamara will be 31 and making $10 mil. Fuller will be making $17.5 in 2020, which is more than any CB did this year. I would expect his contract to be reworked. Long won't be playing for $9.5 as a 32 year old in a 45 year old's body. There will be a lot of money to open up for extensions, we will just have to see what happens.

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

I think if Tru gels with Robinson then it is more likely Robinson gets extended and put on a highly guaranteed deal rather than cut. If he has another 50-55% completion percentage then he is likely a goner and WR becomes a primary need.

Gabriel was a speedster who averaged only 10YPC, though I feel that is more due to gross misuse from Nagy rather than his ability. Either Nagy uses him properly and his impact improves or he might as well be cut.

Amukamara will be 31 and making $10 mil. Fuller will be making $17.5 in 2020, which is more than any CB did this year. I would expect his contract to be reworked. Long won't be playing for $9.5 as a 32 year old in a 45 year old's body. There will be a lot of money to open up for extensions, we will just have to see what happens.

This will likely be Amukamara's last year in Chi.  I think Tolliver takes over in 2020. 

Just now, dll2000 said:

This will likely be Amukamara's last year in Chi.  I think Tolliver takes over in 2020. 

Right, that was what I was implying, he was going to be gone in 2020. I think Long makes it through this year as well, to be cut in 2020. There will be bigger moves to make cap space next offseason rather than this offseason IMO.

Archived