2019 Draft: Targets

G08

Just now, Sugashane said:

Right, that was what I was implying, he was going to be gone in 2020. I think Long makes it through this year as well, to be cut in 2020. There will be bigger moves to make cap space next offseason rather than this offseason IMO.

Agreed.

I think with new coaching staff Tolliver may take Prince's spot this year given a fair competition.  He is a better athlete than Prince.    

Just now, dll2000 said:

Agreed.

I think with new coaching staff Tolliver may take Prince's spot this year given a fair competition.  He is a better athlete than Prince.    

If he would take Prince's place then could you see Prince sliding into the NB spot?

I think that may be the best trio we can put forth with Callahan unlikely to return, if he sucks there then Fuller IMO could slide in but I like seeing Fuller off the line and attacking downhill more.

4 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

If he would take Prince's place then could you see Prince sliding into the NB spot?

I think that may be the best trio we can put forth with Callahan unlikely to return, if he sucks there then Fuller IMO could slide in but I like seeing Fuller off the line and attacking downhill more.

They would be best 3 CBs on roster.  NFL coaches not named Belichick tend to leave guys in their specialized positions though.  

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

They would be best 3 CBs on roster.  NFL coaches not named Belichick tend to leave guys in their specialized positions though.  

Bah. Unless there is someone who can do better I don't see why. Especially if their roles may be pretty similar.

Me -  I want best players on the field.  Find a way to make it happen.

Everybody talks position versatility and then no one wants to try anything out to get best talent on the field together.  Most people don't have flexible mind and are risk adverse.  

I say throw things at the wall and see what sticks.  Get rid of what you don't like and keep what you do.  Don't be afraid to try something out and have it not work in practice or even in a game sometimes.

You can move DBs around.  Heck I bet Jackson could play CB if need be and Prince could play FS if need be.  Not saying that is what should happen all I am saying different players are capable of playing different positions given time to learn it.

I remember a Coach K interview and interviewer was worried about this position or that position.  Coach K was like, don't worry about positions so much, and just think of them as basketball players.

Obviously a CB can't be a DE or TE, but you get my meaning.  

I'm in the same boat, get the best players on the field, if you have to adapt the scheme a bit to make it the best you can for the players then do it.

I prefer former college OTs across my OL, former college CBs to be my primary DBs at both levels (with SS being a potential exception if I want an enforcer), etc.

Note to Pagano - don't make Mack drop into coverage, have him rush the f***ing passer. That will greatly aid in your defense being the best it can be.

I think NB in Nickel would be ideal for Fuller and the Bears.  On paper anyway for 2019, gets your 3 best CBs on field at same time.  As of right now with Callahan unsigned McManis goes in at NCB and Tolliver is depth at CB behind both Prince and Fuller.  It probably takes something away from a player's effectiveness kicking into NCB in Nickel package and back outside in base.  I am sure it does at least a little and maybe a lot. 

Like I said few coaches go outside the box so I don't see it happening in any event.  Doesn't mean they are bad coaches, just risk adverse.  At least Nagy is willing to experiment on offense.  

I still think Tolliver battles this year for time given chance and what I saw of him last year in practice clips and even games.  Guy had problems of some sort at LSU right?  Guy was an UDFA for some reason I keep forgetting.  Lets hope he keeps his head on straight and stays motivated.  He has high end talent.

On 1/29/2019 at 5:57 PM, dll2000 said:

Me -  I want best players on the field.  Find a way to make it happen.

Everybody talks position versatility and then no one wants to try anything out to get best talent on the field together.  Most people don't have flexible mind and are risk adverse.  

I say throw things at the wall and see what sticks.  Get rid of what you don't like and keep what you do.  Don't be afraid to try something out and have it not work in practice or even in a game sometimes.

You can move DBs around.  Heck I bet Jackson could play CB if need be and Prince could play FS if need be.  Not saying that is what should happen all I am saying different players are capable of playing different positions given time to learn it.

I remember a Coach K interview and interviewer was worried about this position or that position.  Coach K was like, don't worry about positions so much, and just think of them as basketball players.

Obviously a CB can't be a DE or TE, but you get my meaning.  

Did you watch the probowl?

22 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think NB in Nickel would be ideal for Fuller and the Bears.  On paper anyway for 2019, gets your 3 best CBs on field at same time.  As of right now with Callahan unsigned McManis goes in at NCB and Tolliver is depth at CB behind both Prince and Fuller.  It probably takes something away from a player's effectiveness kicking into NCB in Nickel package and back outside in base.  I am sure it does at least a little and maybe a lot. 

Like I said few coaches go outside the box so I don't see it happening in any event.  Doesn't mean they are bad coaches, just risk adverse.  At least Nagy is willing to experiment on offense.  

I still think Tolliver battles this year for time given chance and what I saw of him last year in practice clips and even games.  Guy had problems of some sort at LSU right?  Guy was an UDFA for some reason I keep forgetting.  Lets hope he keeps his head on straight and stays motivated.  He has high end talent.

Tolliver dropping was bc of attitude and off field issues at LSU.  He likely would have been ranked higher than Greedy William's this year had he stayed.  William's will go in the top 10 picks.  The problem with Tolliver has never been talent.

On 1/29/2019 at 5:36 PM, dll2000 said:

Ah I don't see original reference.  I assumed all talk was 2019.

I can’t speak for anyone else but I’m not disappointed at all with what we got from Robinson. He missed 3 games outright and was significantly limited in two others, so he put up 754 yards in basically 11 games. Extrapolate that over 16 games and its almost 1100 yards in his first year coming off an ACL. Give me that every year, with a little better luck with health.

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I can’t speak for anyone else but I’m not disappointed at all with what we got from Robinson. He missed 3 games outright and was significantly limited in two others, so he put up 754 yards in basically 11 games. Extrapolate that over 16 games and its almost 1100 yards in his first year coming off an ACL. Give me that every year, with a little better luck with health.

It might not be worth the 14 million when you compare the $ to the stat sheet. But I was perfectly cool with what they got out of him 

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

It might not be worth the 14 million when you compare the $ to the stat sheet. But I was perfectly cool with what they got out of him 

That doesn’t mean they don’t still need another guy though. They can save $4.5M against the cap to move on from Gabriel after 2019, and I think they can draft and groom a comparable player this year to largely fill a #3 role in 2020. I’m expecting that Miller ascends to that #2 role this year opposite Robinson. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

That doesn’t mean they don’t still need another guy though. They can save $4.5M against the cap to move on from Gabriel after 2019, and I think they can draft and groom a comparable player this year to largely fill a #3 role in 2020. I’m expecting that Miller ascends to that #2 role this year opposite Robinson. 

They could.

I do not think they are going to disrupt anything around Mitch for as long as possible.

I think a lot will depend on Burton and Miller to me. If Burton grows into the role and Miller is the player we think/hope then Gabriel may become expendable.

Archived