2019 Draft: Targets

G08

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

That doesn’t mean they don’t still need another guy though. They can save $4.5M against the cap to move on from Gabriel after 2019, and I think they can draft and groom a comparable player this year to largely fill a #3 role in 2020. I’m expecting that Miller ascends to that #2 role this year opposite Robinson. 

Gabriel was probably their best receiver this year. His speed is a problem for opposing defenses, he caught everything in sight and his separation was top 10 in the NFL. Unless he has a rough 2019, I'm keeping him around.

Gonna wait for the Combine and then FA to play out before I get too excited about the draft.  Too many variables right now.

Will we re-sign Amos or Callahan or both?  Is Kareem Hunt a possibility or only a pipe dream?  Can we find a decent PK in FA?

Right now I'm thinkin'; RB, Safety, CB, OLB/Edge are all spots we could draft as well as OL and maybe TE.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

They could.

I do not think they are going to disrupt anything around Mitch for as long as possible.

I think a lot will depend on Burton and Miller to me. If Burton grows into the role and Miller is the player we think/hope then Gabriel may become expendable.

If Burton doesn't have a complimentary big TE who can play he is just a sub par WR/RB/FB.  He can only win vs. LBs in passing game and he is a well below average blocker.

But pair him with a solid big TE and he can be a versatile match up problem vs. base who really opens up the playbook.

Gabriel played quite well last year.  Robinson was exactly what I thought he would be in year one.  Gabriel exceeded my expectations and Burton disappointed.  

Miller disappointed a bit too.  Just a bit.  He was victim of a lot of errant throws which would change one's perception of him, but he still had some key drops, fumbles and mistakes.  Shoulder I think effected him quite a bit. As he was tearing the off season up.    Hopefully he has a speedy recovery.

I have big expectations for Robinson next season.  I think most people have forgotten how good this guy can be at his best.  Hopefully we get that. 

Shaheen should finally move into Sims spot this year and get far more snaps.

The kid is a "moose" in size, he has good speed and hands, and he can block every bit as good as Sims ever did.

In this offense as a receiver I don't know that he'll ever be what a guy like Gronk is in NE but with Burton on board I don't know that he needs to be.  As much as anything he should be useful as a red zone guy.  Tough to cover a guy with his size and athleticism with a DB on a short field.

One read of his draft profile would show he came into the NFL raw as sushi and he would need a fair amount of development at this level both as a blocker and a receiver.  Getting injured this past season frustrated that quite a bit.  I want to see a full year of him as a starter before I judge more.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/adam-shaheen?id=2558144

One offseason project for Nagy and his crew needs to be figuring out how to get more production out of Burton.  It wasn't a bad year but with some help I think he could do better in 2019.

Raiders might not have a good home field next year.  They will be starting a lot of rookies. Carr might get benched if Gruden loses patience and decides to tank for 2020 QB.  Actually that would be their best route to contention.  Load up on talent this year with 3 1's and get a rookie QB in 2020, plus you still have Bears 1 to continue to load up.  Then you move in to Las Vegas and have excited fans. 

Point is Bears might get a really high 2nd round pick from Raiders in 2020.  Could be first pick of 2nd round which many view as most valuable pick in draft all things considered.  Who knows though, Raiders thought they were going to get a really high Bears pick in 2019.  

Miles Sanders... I like this kid a lot in round 3 if we don't pursue Kareem Hunt. 

David Montgomery is a better back IMO but I don't think he'll be there when we're finally on the clock (this off-season is going to SUCK)

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Miles Sanders... I like this kid a lot in round 3 if we don't pursue Kareem Hunt. 

David Montgomery is a better back IMO but I don't think he'll be there when we're finally on the clock (this off-season is going to SUCK)

I'm of the opinion that we should be pretty strongly considering moving out our Oakland 2020 2nd round pick (likely a 33-43 pick) for a mid-late 2nd rounder this year (like 50-60)...

I'm not sold on the idea of using it for a RB, however... There's only a few backs in this class I like, and none of them as very early round guys.  I think most of the class goes a round or two earlier than they should...

But fwiw it's worth Jacobs, Montgomery, Henderson, and maybe Singletary are the ones I mainly like right now. 

Of those I think Jacobs is a top 10-20 lock.... and I want to see combine results for the rest and/or running some WR routes..

If Henderson is 4.45 or better in the 40 I'd be pretty sold... His college game was speed based and he needs to show it at the combine...

Singletary and Montgomery, on the other hand, I need to see them not embarrass themselves in the 40 as well... Montgomery didn't have a single break away TD from outside the redzone.... and Singletary, I need to see his long speed AND his route running.

That all said, as I said, I'm not really keen on RB value at the 2nd-3rd range.... What I am keen on is the TE and WR value around there.... We could use a hefty dose of speed.... I'd grab Isabella-WR with the trade up from oakland's pick in the late 2nd, and McLaurin-WR in the third....

Both guys are shifty as hell, and both guys are expected to run 4.3 in the 40.... McLaurin has the height to play outside, Isabella gets used as a slot/deep threat.....

How it would work roster wise is I'd carry an extra WR this season, cut Robinson for cap next season. Cohen would be back to RB full time, with very limited WR reps, and Mizzell would be thanos-snapped off the roster.  Howard gets traded for a pick (I think a 5th-6th might be about right, not ideal but I'm not paying him next year so get what value we can), we snag Hunt in FA, and put Nall on the active Roster until Hunt is available.  Cohen/Cunningham (or mid-late rounder like Pollard from Memphis) > Nall.   Bonus points for also getting to get a better look at Nall so we can make a decision on that as well, since if he outplayed Cunningham, I'd cut him too and roll with Nall.

I'm also personally very much on the bandwagon of using a later rounder on Bryce Love if he's on the board because of his knee.... He'd go immediately to IR for 2019, but there's more than enough upside to take the shot on him, and he could potentially solve the RB problem in a very cheap fashion.

Schematically, I'm seeing our OL not opening holes this past year, and our WR not threatening the field enough, or getting open enough. I don't want Mitch to have any excuses after this season, so the extra WR depth and speed will help us push at least one deeper route constantly to spread defenses out... which should help loosen up things for the running game.... I just don't see us being a "run to set up the pass, or play action pass" team with our run blocking right now, and I think we're going to have to become a dangerous pass offense that spreads the defense out on the edges and deep, to scoop up big chunks underneath when we do run the ball.... Put Cohen in more punt return-esque open field situations.

potential mid-later round guy to keep an eye on:

Edge: Ronheen Bingham....

per roto (which is quoting PFF)

"Pro Football Focus is a website that focuses on the analytics, so it's not a surprise they're fans of a player that has won 30.2 percent of his opportunities as a rusher; second to just Ohio State's Nick Bosa in 2018. A junior college transfer, the 6-foot-2, 242-pound defender doesn't have elite size, but his production for an underrated Red Wolves team is certainly going to be something scouts keep an eye on. Don't be surprised if Bingham gets an invite to an All-Star event, and if he performs well there, he'll assuredly move up draft boards. "

18 hours ago, Epyon said:

potential mid-later round guy to keep an eye on:

Edge: Ronheen Bingham....

per roto (which is quoting PFF)

"Pro Football Focus is a website that focuses on the analytics, so it's not a surprise they're fans of a player that has won 30.2 percent of his opportunities as a rusher; second to just Ohio State's Nick Bosa in 2018. A junior college transfer, the 6-foot-2, 242-pound defender doesn't have elite size, but his production for an underrated Red Wolves team is certainly going to be something scouts keep an eye on. Don't be surprised if Bingham gets an invite to an All-Star event, and if he performs well there, he'll assuredly move up draft boards. "

Sounds like a tweener.

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Sounds like a tweener.

He's right around the same size as Mack, Harold Landry, Von Miller, and Vic Beasley coming out...... None of those guys have more than 1 inch on him in height or ~10 lbs in weight.

TBH, 6ft 2in-6ft 3inch  240-255 seems to be pretty ideally sized for the position, if anything, as prospects start really losing out on speed/explosion/bend beyond those metrics.  Now granted, we would hope to see his arm length and overall athleticism/ "SPARQ" numbers... but he's also coming off an MCL tear in his bowl game, so the opportunity to buy low and get him later in the draft is pretty solid.

Archived