Gearing up for next season

WizardHawk

2 hours ago, atran35 said:

Re-sign DLaw.
Attempt to sign Landon Collins. 
Earl Thomas is looking to get PAID. SF will prob. pay him. 
JJ and SJ over rules JG and fires SL. 
Rod is ok with demotion to DL or consultant. 
Kris Richards becomes DC. 
Let David Irving go FA. No one signs him? See if he wants to come back for league minimum. 

Irving is facing a massive suspension for the missed drug tests; potentially a season-long suspension. I wouldn’t waste the effort on him.

2 hours ago, atran35 said:

Reported Sean Lee leaning on a returning. Great depth and mind; HOWEVER, he has to take a payout for sure. Maybe JJ and SJ will also assure him a LB coaching position when he decided to hang it up :)

Source: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001011023/article/sean-lee-im-leaning-towards-playing-in-2019

I think a pay cut is inevitable and he knows it. If he refuses, we cut him and gain something like $7-8M in space. If he retires, same thing. He has very little leverage.

31 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Irving is facing a massive suspension for the missed drug tests; potentially a season-long suspension. I wouldn’t waste the effort on him.

I agree. But we did the same with RG. I would have NO ISSUES giving him league min. to sit for a year and see if he can get his act together and then use him as a CHEAP DT for a few seasons before letting him walk in FA. 

Additionally, I'm hoping to GOD that we abandon ROD's hatred for run stuffing NT and grab Johnathan Hankins. He was paid only $2000000 by the Raiders. Our DTs got spanked by the RAMs. 

Broaddous: "Antwaun Woods, Maliek Collins and Caraun Reid were a big non-factor in this matchup. There were several snaps where they were engulfed by blockers. Woods didn’t win at the point of attack with his power. Reid was either on the ground or driven back into the depth of the linebackers, while Collins was stuck along the line of scrimmage."

31 minutes ago, atran35 said:

I agree. But we did the same with RG. I would have NO ISSUES giving him league min. to sit for a year and see if he can get his act together and then use him as a CHEAP DT for a few seasons before letting him walk in FA. 

I hear you, but in my opinion, there’s a difference between Randy Gregory and David Irving: desire. Gregory was self-medicating to deal with being bi-polar, but his love and dedication to football was never in question. His issue was (and will be for the rest of his life) a legitimate medical condition in mental illness. David Irving, on the other hand, doesn’t care about football, and is a moron who has off field personal problems that aren’t related to mental illness. From my perspective, they are totally different situations and should thus be handled completely differently. Irving is a prison sentence waiting to happen. Gregory is not.

10 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

He's a 3T, but a really good one that would provide the interior rush we really lack right now.

See I thought our interior rush was fine all year. Woods did great most of the year, and Ross was doing good too. Then Collins got in later in the year, a long with Crawford bumping inside on obvious pass downs.

Rod wants every body rushing up field and tells them to defend the run on the way to the QB.

It was defending the run against IND and LA where we struggled. Teams that run right at us had success. Even old man AD went for 100 yards on us. We did well with sideline to sideline RBs like Kamara and to an extent Barkley. But even Saquads got us up the middle a few times.

Just a general musing here after some browsing thru some team forums...

Offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael Jr. has also reportedly received interview requests. Carmichael is also set to interview with the Packers on Saturday, according to ESPN.
I couldn't give two rips about Carmichael leaving. Between him and Payton, I think our offensive play calling is generally garbage. Not totally sure who's fault it is, but I usually don't like our calls.

The Saints offense...

Scoring - 30.8 pt/gm (3rd)
Total Off - 381.6 (7th)
Yd per play - 6.0 (7th)
Run - 127.2 (6th)
Pass - 254.4 (10th)
Yds per attempt - 7.8 (4th)
TOP - 31:48 (3rd)
3rd down conv - 45.23% (5th)

I read this and all I can think is what the hell is wrong with people?  I must be losing it.

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

See I thought our interior rush was fine all year. Woods did great most of the year, and Ross was doing good too. Then Collins got in later in the year, a long with Crawford bumping inside on obvious pass downs.

Rod wants every body rushing up field and tells them to defend the run on the way to the QB.

It was defending the run against IND and LA where we struggled. Teams that run right at us had success. Even old man AD went for 100 yards on us. We did well with sideline to sideline RBs like Kamara and to an extent Barkley. But even Saquads got us up the middle a few times.

Yup! Opposition OC sees this and will exploit it till we get a RUN STOPPING NT. ROD needs to be flexible. If we can sit a David Irving for 2.5 million a year, we can certainly pay a Johnathan Hankins to actually play 16 games for 1.5 or 2 million a year. 

Archived