Gearing up for next season

WizardHawk

21 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Has anyone taken into account that besides Earl Thomas turning 30 in May that he is also coming off a fractured leg?  I don't want to give significant money to a guy that will be 80% most of the year. 

Maybe he will be cheaper because of it? He was flipping off the Seattle bench for a reason. That's why guys hold out. He wasn't mad that he didn't get to play the rest of the year. He was mad because he got hurt before his contract, so now he stands to make less overall. He was already willing to come here on a discount. Now we will get a discount on the discounted price. Plus a break is easier to come back from sometimes than and ACL or Achilles or some tissue tear. Bones heal.

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Maybe he will be cheaper because of it? He was flipping off the Seattle bench for a reason. That's why guys hold out. He wasn't mad that he didn't get to play the rest of the year. He was mad because he got hurt before his contract, so now he stands to make less overall. He was already willing to come here on a discount. Now we will get a discount on the discounted price. Plus a break is easier to come back from sometimes than and ACL or Achilles or some tissue tear. Bones heal.

Plus, while Earl is at a higher level than most of the available safeties last season, if the market trend is any indication he shouldn't be looking at getting a lucrative deal anyway. 

I wouldn't have any qualms bringing in Thomas. If he's healthy and hasn't lost a step, he's one of the best safeties in the league. Pair him up with Woods and the rest of the secondary and prosper.

On 1/16/2019 at 2:33 PM, resilient part 2 said:

Is he a 1T everyone keeps screaming about??

I'm good if the Cowboys could sign McCoy to fill the need of a big body with pass rushing skills also. Don't really think the Cowboys will spend big money though. More like lunch pail type players that they signed last year Marinelli has an act of getting the most out of a player.

On 2/1/2019 at 11:40 AM, SweetFancyMoses said:

Has anyone taken into account that besides Earl Thomas turning 30 in May that he is also coming off a fractured leg?  I don't want to give significant money to a guy that will be 80% most of the year. 

I’ve brought that up as well. Landon Collins may be a smarter signing (should he hit the market). I love ET just as much as the next guy, but his age and having broken his leg twice (2016 and 2018), should make anyone a little leery about giving him a huge contract.

8 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

With the opportunity to add $20M more by cutting four players.

I suppose it's possible, but I highly doubt we cut Crawford. He's just too valuable from a utility and leadership comparison even if he's overpaid. I think Hurns' injury will forbid us from moving on there without a settlement, as well.

So I think it's just Lee and T-Will we'll end up cutting, unless I'm forgetting someone?

2 hours ago, matt79511 said:

I suppose it's possible, but I highly doubt we cut Crawford. He's just too valuable from a utility and leadership comparison even if he's overpaid. I think Hurns' injury will forbid us from moving on there without a settlement, as well.

So I think it's just Lee and T-Will we'll end up cutting, unless I'm forgetting someone?

Nope. Those are the four. I felt that Hurns was gone almost immediately after the Cooper trade, so, injury or not, I don’t think he returns. And, whether people want to admit it or not, Crawford is a JAG. He’s an overpaid average player. 

4 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Nope. Those are the four. I felt that Hurns was gone almost immediately after the Cooper trade, so, injury or not, I don’t think he returns. And, whether people want to admit it or not, Crawford is a JAG. He’s an overpaid average player. 

I agree, Crawford is not worth the money for the lack of production he brings. He is a tweener in a scheme we dont need him for. 

On 2/3/2019 at 1:48 PM, plan9misfit said:

I never thought about Tyrone Crawford being cut, because he is a captain and a versatile player along to defensive line. I think though he could easily be replaced with a player like Zach Allen, Boston College and I believe there would be more upside. Dallas have players on defense like Jaylon Smith and Demarcus Lawrence who can take over the captain role.

Crawford needs to be cut in 2016. Is it still to late to cut Crawford in 2016?

"Oh but DaBoys! His leadership!"

Stfu. These are grown *** men. And they play defense. Defensive line in fact. They don't need a hype man for 10 million when you can't pay Dez 8.

$10.1M cap hit for Crawford and his leadership....

But we saved 8 to cut Dez, .......

and it will totes help Dak to not have a number 1.... 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/25/dak-prescott-i-dont-know-if-any-team-in-league-necessarily-needs-a-no-1-wr/

Dak Prescott: I don’t know if any team in league necessarily needs a No. 1 WR

-Charean Williams

Dez Bryant produced three 1,000-yard seasons in his eight seasons in Dallas. He has caught 531 passes for 7,459 yards and 73 touchdowns in his career.

His departure leaves the Cowboys without a true No. 1 receiver.

That suits quarterback Dak Prescott just fine.

“I don’t know if any team in the league necessarily needs a No. 1 receiver,” Prescott said. “It’s about getting the ball out, spreading the ball around, keeping the defense on its toes.”

Archived