Gearing up for next season

WizardHawk

3 hours ago, DaBoys said:

That's risky. While Collins isn't elite, I don't know if we'll be able to improve upon him in 2019. Especially as a run blocker. With JG coaching for his life I doubt we make a change to either of the OT positions. Another thing to consider is teams are more and more lining up their best edge rusher on the strong side. In a make or break season I just don't see us going cheap there.

If Connor really bulks up he has the ability to handle the RT position and I wouldn't be opposed to just switching them both.

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

If Connor really bulks up he has the ability to handle the RT position and I wouldn't be opposed to just switching them both.

There’s one other thing to remember about what’s required in a RT: aggression and a general mean streak. Collins is mean. He plays angry. Connor would have to find a mean streak in order to be a truly dominant LT. Is it possible? Sure. Would I like to see it? Absolutely. If he finds that piece of himself and bulks up, I’d be 100% on board with moving Collins to LG with Connor at RT.

I think Lee and Crawford will be willing to take a pay cut to stay - especially if it is part of a "let's keep this Defensive family together" deal that has many players sacrificing salary. (including D-law . . .) IMO, I would be leveraging the Dallas Brand for sponsorship opportunities, Texas' state tax, and even point to the new strategy of NBA players taking cuts to form super teams.

But the fact that neither Lee nor Crawford would get what they are slated to make in Dallas anywhere on the open market makes bringing them back at a fair price a realistic option. 

Definite Cut: Twill

Priority spending:

Lvl 1 Immediate Must have: D-Law 5yr 20mil per yr, Zeke 5yr 16mil per.

Lvl 2 Must have, but can wait until after draft & FA to sign: Byron Jones initial offer 5yr 13mil per, Dak Prescott initial offer 3yr 20 mil per year all guaranteed (I think they could/should do something creative like this), Amari Cooper initial offer 5yr 15mil per.

Lvl 3 Wants: Beasley 3yr 6mil per, Restructure Lee 3yr 2-2.5 mil per, Rod Smith low-ball . . . (more value to Cowboys than anywhere else), I would even try and low-ball and bring back David Irving (while expecting 0 from him)

I think the non-specific priorities should be finding a versatile back-up O-lineman, a young scat-back/receiver/returner, a young safety, a DT, and a TE.  

I think ALL could be had in the draft. In fact, I would hope they make an effort to bring no more than 2 guys in to fill those roles via FA.

I wouldn’t keep Lee for more than $1.5, $2M at the most. He was playing like 5 snaps a game for us by the end and the drop off from LVE to him was sizable. I mean you could move him to SAM I guess but what’s the point, just re-sign Wilson or sign a journeyman or draft someone on Day 3- you can even do all 3 of those things.

Crawford I’m a little more mixed on. He wouldn’t get a $7-8M APY on the market, but he could probably get close to the $15M he’s owed over the next two years in total guarantees. If they approach him about a pay cut, it’s probably going to be in the form of an extension. I honestly doubt they view reducing his cap hit as a real priority at the moment. They obviously value him a lot more highly than we do.

16 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

There’s one other thing to remember about what’s required in a RT: aggression and a general mean streak. Collins is mean. He plays angry. Connor would have to find a mean streak in order to be a truly dominant LT. Is it possible? Sure. Would I like to see it? Absolutely. If he finds that piece of himself and bulks up, I’d be 100% on board with moving Collins to LG with Connor at RT.

Watch some of Connor's Texas film. The kid has a big time mean streak, I just would prefer him at the LG position because i believe with some strength and Frederick back he could have a very good 2nd year. I also like Collins I don't see why we would move on from him.

8 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I don't think Williams has the arm length to hold up at either tackle spot. 

Agreed. I doubt that flipping he and Collins is a legit consideration.

Technically they both have 33" arms, but La'el just seems to have a much wider frame.

17 hours ago, matt79511 said:

I wouldn’t keep Lee for more than $1.5, $2M at the most. He was playing like 5 snaps a game for us by the end and the drop off from LVE to him was sizable. I mean you could move him to SAM I guess but what’s the point, just re-sign Wilson or sign a journeyman or draft someone on Day 3- you can even do all 3 of those things.

Crawford I’m a little more mixed on. He wouldn’t get a $7-8M APY on the market, but he could probably get close to the $15M he’s owed over the next two years in total guarantees. If they approach him about a pay cut, it’s probably going to be in the form of an extension. I honestly doubt they view reducing his cap hit as a real priority at the moment. They obviously value him a lot more highly than we do.

We aren't far-off in terms of Lee's pay, I'm giving it a little more because, I think if needed to play he will be worth that amount, AND he has tremendous value in leadership and in the LB room. 

I think all the talk about the O-Line is a bit overblown. With the misfortune that occurred last year, Fred-beard and the early season and preseason injury bug, and lingering injuries . . . I think Connor Williams will get some much needed bulk & strength this off-season (something that was known to be needed when we drafted him). Obviously, he will also have his rookie year under his belt - and the kid seems like a worker so... 

The real question is Joe Looney. He played extremely well in place of Fred-beard. Not well enough to takeover, but I think he deserves a shot at LG. I'm unaware of his abilities there, or whether he has tried it and looked bad, IDK. But, if he is as capable a guard as he was a center than he brings great value to the middle of our line. I think with the expected health of our guys coming in next year, and adding a mid-round guy in the draft that is versatile and can play a couple spots on the o-line, we should be fine. Maybe a guy that can push behind La'el at RT.

How does everyone feel about Ha-Ha? I know everyone like the idea of Earl Thomas, but I have pushed him out of my mind as being too injured and old for the money I am sure he will command. So, I like him as a double-look-type sweetheart deal, like way low hometown discount kinda numbers. I think Xavier Woods is getting better and better, and Jeff Heath is, well, serviceable. Basically, I'm ok with our S being average if that means having money other places.

While I think we should keep Beasley, if we don't I would be willing to spend good money or high pick on a guy who can fulfill both the Slot role and be a scat-back type. Look at Olamide Zacheous*

13 minutes ago, J Shank said:

We aren't far-off in terms of Lee's pay, I'm giving it a little more because, I think if needed to play he will be worth that amount, AND he has tremendous value in leadership and in the LB room. 

I think all the talk about the O-Line is a bit overblown. With the misfortune that occurred last year, Fred-beard and the early season and preseason injury bug, and lingering injuries . . . I think Connor Williams will get some much needed bulk & strength this off-season (something that was known to be needed when we drafted him). Obviously, he will also have his rookie year under his belt - and the kid seems like a worker so... 

The real question is Joe Looney. He played extremely well in place of Fred-beard. Not well enough to takeover, but I think he deserves a shot at LG. I'm unaware of his abilities there, or whether he has tried it and looked bad, IDK. But, if he is as capable a guard as he was a center than he brings great value to the middle of our line. I think with the expected health of our guys coming in next year, and adding a mid-round guy in the draft that is versatile and can play a couple spots on the o-line, we should be fine. Maybe a guy that can push behind La'el at RT.

How does everyone feel about Ha-Ha? I know everyone like the idea of Earl Thomas, but I have pushed him out of my mind as being too injured and old for the money I am sure he will command. So, I like him as a double-look-type sweetheart deal, like way low hometown discount kinda numbers. I think Xavier Woods is getting better and better, and Jeff Heath is, well, serviceable. Basically, I'm ok with our S being average if that means having money other places.

While I think we should keep Beasley, if we don't I would be willing to spend good money or high pick on a guy who can fulfill both the Slot role and be a scat-back type. Look at Olamide Zacheous*

Looney filled in admirably for Frederick but to say he "played extremely well" feels like a stretch. Teams were working him a little bit towards the end of the year. I think PFF had him as one of their absolute lowest graded centers (like 2nd or 3rd to last). I don't know about all that, but I would agree he's clearly a below average starter. Awesome backup, but the LG throne is rightly C-Will's to defend.

La'el counts $10M against the cap now (hit his $2M performance escalator) so I don't think anyone is buying that some rookie who'll make roughly the same per year in salary as Collins does per game is gonna take his starting job. Definitely need a swing tackle if Fleming walks plus some insurance for Collins' impending FA, though.

My understanding is that Clinton-Dix was really bad this year and has mostly been bad for the last several years. I would be pretty surprised if we splurged on him. I mean I kind of have a hard time buying that we'll spend on any safety at all. It would've cost nothing to bring in Vaccaro or Boston last year and we still rode with Heath.

I fully agree that if/when we lose Beasley, his replacement has to be someone with a greater capacity for explosive plays offensively. Again, would think that player is more likely to be acquired via the draft than FA.

On 2/6/2019 at 8:03 PM, JWingate said:

Watch some of Connor's Texas film. The kid has a big time mean streak, I just would prefer him at the LG position because i believe with some strength and Frederick back he could have a very good 2nd year. I also like Collins I don't see why we would move on from him.

Conner Williams biggest asset is his lateral movement, he did get pushed around quite a bit last year, he does have that mean streak that everyone speaks about. Let's see how he makes out in the off season strengthening program I feel that Williams would be a better RT with his movement to help stop the speed rushers where Collins has a weakness there, when Doug Free gave up those sacks or holding penalties Cowboys nation was screaming bloody murder. Also the Cowboys have a decision to make on Collins next year they  can't keep shelling out big money to their OL and not pay the other players on the team. With a new year on the horizon and possibly Fredrick's being healthy, Smith and Martin fully healthy again, Colombo with a full season under his belt and hey a new offensive coordinator maybe we will see that OL being dominant once again.

WRs - Twill will be gone. So will Bease. I think they will keep Hurns and see what Cedric Wilson can do. He never played and he is a slot guy. They will also draft a WR. I am fine with that option knowing we will get an entire offseason with Amari and Gallup to improve. They were starting ti gel in the end so they can build off that.

I also agree they need to switch Collins and Williams. I think that will change everything for the better.

Archived