Gearing up for next season

WizardHawk

On 2/11/2019 at 9:40 AM, matt79511 said:

Lull period thought experiment: How would you rank the following players in terms of how important it is that the Cowboys re-sign them, and how do you expect the team to rank them?

Dak Prescott

Ezekiel Elliott

Amari Cooper

Demarcus Lawrence

Byron Jones

Jaylon Smith

La’el Collins

I think they’ll rank them like this:

1. Quincy - while time is not critical, this extension is about messaging. If the executives believe he’s a franchise guy, then they need to extend him before his rookie contract expires because it’ll actually save them money long-term and it shows they’re committed to him as a franchise QB. The challenge will be finding the right balance financially.

1a. Demarcus Lawrence - time is critical on this one. He’s set to hit free agency, so my guess is he’ll be hit with the tag again while a long term deal is being worked out. Neither he nor the team want him under the franchise tag, so both sides are motivated to get the deal done.

2. Amari Cooper - even though he’s under contract through the 2019 season, his agent can (rightfully) claim that Quincy became a much better player because of Cooper, so Dallas can’t extend one without the other.

3. Byron Jones - thhis is a classic 50/50 ball. We picked up the fifth year option, so he’s under contract through 2019, but his salary commands could skyrocket if he has a season in 2019 like he did in 2018. It would be cheaper long-term to extend him now than risk paying an extra $3M+ per season if we wait. In all honesty, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Jones chooses to wait for that very reason. He can bet on himself and make more money, especially since Kris Richard is definitely returning next season.

4. Zeke - pay him sooner than later before he hits the RB wall. Statistically, he’s been the most productive RB two of the last three seasons, and it’s all three seasons when prorated against his absurd 2017 suspension. 

5. Jaylon Smith - I think this is the contract he may want to wait on, but Dallas shouldn’t. Due to the more limited sample size from his injury, an extension now will favor Dallas. He absolutely deserves the extension, but waiting until after the 2019 season (or even during it) will land him a better contract when he gets extended. He’s another player who may choose to wait and bet on himself.

6. La’el Collins - sign him ASAP. He’s steadily improving, has been reliable, and shouldn’t be a bank breaker. Keeping him also keeps the o-line continuity, and that’s a precious commodity in the NFL.

I'm not a cap guru by any means but would it make sense to resign Zeke now and put a lot of guaranteed money this year?

We can keep running him into tue groud and get production now and if his wheels fall off then it wont cost us much to let him go later.

Gives us some flexibility with some of the other extensions we have to do.

18 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

I'm not a cap guru by any means but would it make sense to resign Zeke now and put a lot of guaranteed money this year?

We can keep running him into tue groud and get production now and if his wheels fall off then it wont cost us much to let him go later.

Gives us some flexibility with some of the other extensions we have to do.

The savings wouldn't be substantial. It would benefit them more after next year when they exercise the 5th year option. But if he decides to hold out for a new deal, he may force their hand.

2 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Todd Gurley’s deal may end up hurting the Rams.

I don't know. A bit off topic. Admittedly I haven't kept up with the Gurley issue in LA as far as his playing time late in the season and the playoffs (minus our debacle.) I think there's something else that going on in LA. The relationship seems weird and strange right now and it won't be all financial IMO.

3 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Todd Gurley’s deal may end up hurting the Rams.

If it comes to that and this is assuming we have a legit backup plan in place. I would be willing to move on from Zeke if his contract demand was way too much and considering how great he has been for us it just might be.

On 2/13/2019 at 7:34 PM, Calvert28 said:

If it comes to that and this is assuming we have a legit backup plan in place. I would be willing to move on from Zeke if his contract demand was way too much and considering how great he has been for us it just might be.

Remember the last time we thought had a back up plan for D Murray? Zeke wasn't supposed to lead the league in rushing this year given the state of our O-line.

If Goddell didnt screw with us we'd have the leagues leading rusher for 3 straight years. Would we cut the leagues leader in sacks for 3 straight years per say if we had one?

screw Brady & the pats. Screw TG and the Rams. Screw any other player of any other team. All/Any of our offensive success goes through Zeke first. Even despite the RB position lack of importance.

He's just an essential football player to our team. Dare, i'd say the face of our franchise.

Our team is built to function as well as it's bell cow back can perform. Bell cows aren't popping up in bulk. A bell cow & any other running back are two different caliber of players

11 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Remember the last time we thought had a back up plan for D Murray? Zeke wasn't supposed to lead the league in rushing this year given the state of our O-line.

If Goddell didnt screw with us we'd have the leagues leading rusher for 3 straight years. Would we cut the leagues leader in sacks for 3 straight years per say if we had one?

screw Brady & the pats. Screw TG and the Rams. Screw any other player of any other team. All/Any of our offensive success goes through Zeke first. Even despite the RB position lack of importance.

He's just an essential football player to our team. Dare, i'd say the face of our franchise.

Our team is built to function as well as it's bell cow back can perform. Bell cows aren't popping up in bulk. A bell cow & any other running back are two different caliber of players

Wicket W. Warrick is the face of our franchise.

Archived