Raiders Defense

Rolni

Just now, NYRaider said:

Littleton was good with the Rams because he played WLB and was allowed to roam and make plays. Guenther played him almost exclusively at SLB and asked him to take on blocks and be a run stopper, that's not his game.

Exactly. He's a pretty bad SLB. He's not good at shedding blocks and being a hammer in the run game. I don't know how hard that is to understand.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Littleton was good with the Rams because he played WLB and was allowed to roam and make plays. Guenther played him almost exclusively at SLB and asked him to take on blocks and be a run stopper, that's not his game.

I'm not sure how they plan to use the LBs now that they've re-signed Morrow. I wonder if Kwit could move to SAM, with Morrow at MIKE.

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

In the regular season he had zero ints and 4 PD.  In the playoffs he had 2 ints and 2 PD.  If you watch him he looked more comfortable and did a better job of getting back into his zone.  Not saying he was great but did a good job of being where he was suppose to be and did not look lost.

7 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I wouldn't say that Parsons biggest strength is a Blitzer. I would say it's as an overqualified sideline to sideline player which is what I like about him the most. I also think playing in a simplified defense that you're only asked to do the same thing Every play would Put him in a situation where he could be better in coverage because the focus then becomes Focusing on his coverage technique rather than learning a Defense. 

That's also my take on the rest of the back 7

Parsons is at his best when he's playing down hill whether that's blitzing or in run support. At Penn State he had 4 pass breakups and 0 INT in 600 coverage snaps and only played 64 snaps in man coverage. Again I don't like to use PFF as an end all be all but they gave him a 94.8 run defense grade, an 86.8 pass rush grade, and a 68.5 coverage grade. 

Aaron Curry was viewed as a can't miss prospect coming out of college and the Seahawks took him 4th overall. And he's considered one of the biggest busts in NFL history. Guess who his defensive coordinator was? Gus Bradley. 

7 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

In the regular season he had zero ints and 4 PD.  In the playoffs he had 2 ints and 2 PD.  If you watch him he looked more comfortable and did a better job of getting back into his zone.  Not saying he was great but did a good job of being where he was suppose to be and did not look lost.

I'm sure he'll improve in coverage, he's a great athlete. But the value that he added to Tampa's defense was his sideline to sideline range as a run defender and ability as a blitzer. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'm sure he'll improve in coverage, he's a great athlete. But the value that he added to Tampa's defense was his sideline to sideline range as a run defender and ability as a blitzer. 

That is definitely his strength.  I was just saying he is improving.  It was known he needed to improve and needed some time.

18 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Parsons is at his best when he's playing down hill whether that's blitzing or in run support. At Penn State he had 4 pass breakups and 0 INT in 600 coverage snaps and only played 64 snaps in man coverage. Again I don't like to use PFF as an end all be all but they gave him a 94.8 run defense grade, an 86.8 pass rush grade, and a 68.5 coverage grade. 

Aaron Curry was viewed as a can't miss prospect coming out of college and the Seahawks took him 4th overall. And he's considered one of the biggest busts in NFL history. Guess who his defensive coordinator was? Gus Bradley. 

I was waiting for the Aaron curry comparison honestly LOL. Some key differences though. Aaron Curry ran 4.5(staright line speed metric), had a 3 cone drill of 7.15(Change of direction metric) And played for a wake forest(Which while Isn't a bad football school isn't known for producing linebackers)

Micah Parsons ran 4.3, had a 3 cone 6.89 Played for Penn State(Which is considered linebacker U of college football). 

I think the Aaron curry comparisons are fairly thin. I'm not saying that Mike Parsons is this great coverage guy I'm saying that When a guy runs for three at 246 pounds and runs a three cone of 6.89, he Can be coached Into improving in coverage. Especially in a scheme where everyone only has one job lol. 

Another thing to take into account is that Mike Parsons Came into college playing defense of end so one could even make the argument that he's fairly raw at the position giving another reason Why a lot of things that he does wrong in coverage can be coached out of him

Edited by Jeremy408

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Absolutely false. In the 12 games Kwit played we allowed 117 rushing yards per game, in the 4 games he missed we allowed 150 rushing yards per game. 

I don't like to use PFF as the bible but since Lester mentioned it, Kwit graded out as the 15th best LB in the in 2019 and the 18th best LB in 2020 while also grading out as the 7th best LB in coverage. Morrow graded out as the 25th best LB in 2020 and was the 12th best LB in coverage. 

Is Kwit some game changing, elite player? No. But he played well last season especially considering how bad our defensive line was. And we're paying him what we were paying Tahir Whitehead.

We paid Cory Littleton to be the LB that can run and cover. He was one of the best LB's in the league his last two seasons with the Rams and Guenther misused him. He should fit better in Guenther's scheme in a role more suited to his strengths.

Graded out by who?????......how many stops did he have for loss.....i respect what youre sayin i just think he is just ok

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

He's a very average LB, which is what I said. He's not above replacement level and you could get a lot more dynamic at the position. He's still overrated by Raider fans on the fact he wasn't a complete disaster. Would I pass on a guy like Parsons because I have Kwaitkoski.... no.

As for Littleton, get back to me when he actually does something. Easy to blame Guenther for everything, but for all his supposed talent and ability, you think he'd made a play somewhere last season. The thing he's suppose to be great at, coverage he was exposed repeatedly. Far more likely Littleton was a product of the Rams stacked defense. I saw nothing

Let's blame Guenther.... even though Morrow significantly outplayed him. Or was that Guenther's fault to?

Im glad you see what i see...he is VERY average...had no impact plays...no factor in tackles for loss....and im not just going on what PFF said anybody who watched the Raiders last year saw that Morrow was the best LBer

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lester said:

Graded out by who?????......how many stops did he have for loss.....i respect what youre sayin i just think he is just ok

I never said he was a great player, he's an average starter that's getting paid average starter money. He only had 1 sack, 3 TFL, and 2 QB hits but he was only sent as a blitzer on 16 plays in 14 games.

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm confused. You say Kwiatkoski was average, but shouldn't he look worse playing with a mediocre pass rush/defensive line by your logic? He's not a top tier class coverage guy, but is pretty good. He's always in position making tackles. I think he'll look better with upgrades at DL.

I think he proved to be the same average player he was starting in Chicago who had a more talented defense. Sure tackler, knows his assignments, plays hard. Nothing special. Just a guy. 

He's not going to be a sideline to sideline playmaker who makes plays behind the LOS, creates havoc and forces turnovers. I want that Roquan Smith type for my defense. Have literally been on that bandwagon for years now it seems.

I love JOK as well fwiw. 

3 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

I wouldn't say that Parsons biggest strength is a Blitzer. I would say it's as an overqualified sideline to sideline player which is what I like about him the most. I also think playing in a simplified defense that you're only asked to do the same thing Every play would Put him in a situation where he could be better in coverage because the focus then becomes Focusing on his coverage technique rather than learning a Defense. 

That's also my take on the rest of the back 7

Exactly this. Parsons is a sideline to sideline apex predator. He's instinctive, pulls the trigger quick and blows plays up before they have a chance to develop. Those instincts and quick tirgger are what make him a hell of a blitzer as well.

• Like 2

Just now, big_palooka said:

Exactly this. Parsons is a sideline to sideline apex predator. He's instinctive, pulls the trigger quick and blows plays up before they have a chance to develop. Those instincts and quick tirgger are what make him a hell of a blitzer as well.

😂😂😂 YOU SAID APEX PREDATOR hahahahhaaha.