Raiders Defense

Rolni

I'm not talking about this season. Cowser is good backup that we can develop and is under contract control for a few more years but I think they'll actually expend resources at the position next year.

Irvin is 30 and can be let go after the year with no dead money. Even if he performs well this year and we keep him I see them bringing in someone they thing can atleast challenge as a starter if not expect to take over.

41 minutes ago, Rolni said:

NightTrain!

The blown coverages were to WR's early not to Walker. 

First, that isn't what you said or what we were talking about and second, I saw alot of contested catches and zone beater routes on the 3rd downs. That isn't blown coverage. Not saying there weren't any mistakes in the secondary but all game but saying there were too many is a bit much.

6 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

I'm not talking about this season. Cowser is good backup that we can develop and is under contract control for a few more years but I think they'll actually expend resources at the position next year.

Irvin is 30 and can be let go after the year with no dead money. Even if he performs well this year and we keep him I see them bringing in someone they thing can atleast challenge as a starter if not expect to take over.

I think this would be prudent, kind of like a Hali/Ford situation. Irvin is still a good player and will be for a few more years at least injuries permitting but it's important to have a foil for Mack on the other end plus it gives us options. I think Cowser will ultimately be a decent level rotational player but we do need at least 2 of those and most teams have a number of edge rusher alternatives to keep their guys fresh. I can only really see Cowser on the roster, maybe Autry could be an emergency option there but I'd feel a lot more comfortable knowing that we were looking at more options here........you can never have too many pass rushers!

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

I will try to rewatch the game then. Maybe I remember wrong about the open receivers/blown coverages in the early part of the game when Mariota made every 3rd down throw.

They were good plays by the offense, all were contested throws I thought. We played a lot of cover 2 it seemed. Middle of the field is always the weak point in that type of D. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I think this would be prudent, kind of like a Hali/Ford situation. Irvin is still a good player and will be for a few more years at least injuries permitting but it's important to have a foil for Mack on the other end plus it gives us options. I think Cowser will ultimately be a decent level rotational player but we do need at least 2 of those and most teams have a number of edge rusher alternatives to keep their guys fresh. I can only really see Cowser on the roster, maybe Autry could be an emergency option there but I'd feel a lot more comfortable knowing that we were looking at more options here........you can never have too many pass rushers!

Cowser is replaceable. We need an ascending young talent at edge IMO. Kind of like Yannick Ngakoue, who was found in the mid rounds but is killing it.

As far as the interior DL, it might be early, but Reggie managed to find 2 gems in Hester and Vanderdoes in the mid to late rounds, which is incredible. With those two, Mario, and Autry, it seems like Ward is on the outs.

I know he's only in year 2, but I already feel like Eddie V has made more plays in one game than Ward did all of last year. Not only that, but Hester has also shown the ability to rush the passer in limited play. I hope he develops, but unless he makes some quantum leap, he doesn't deserve any playtime at this point.

As mediocre as last years draft was for me, this years draft has the potential to be Reggie's best since 2014. Luani, Hester, and Vanderdoes already look good and we haven't even seen Obi or Gareon in full capacity. Sharpe has shown potential as well.

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

They were good plays by the offense, all were contested throws I thought. We played a lot of cover 2 it seemed. Middle of the field is always the weak point in that type of D. 

The Titans play action was causing the D to take some missteps in the beginning also.

44 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

As far as the interior DL, it might be early, but Reggie managed to find 2 gems in Hester and Vanderdoes in the mid to late rounds, which is incredible. With those two, Mario, and Autry, it seems like Ward is on the outs.

I know he's only in year 2, but I already feel like Eddie V has made more plays in one game than Ward did all of last year. Not only that, but Hester has also shown the ability to rush the passer in limited play. I hope he develops, but unless he makes some quantum leap, he doesn't deserve any playtime at this point.

As mediocre as last years draft was for me, this years draft has the potential to be Reggie's best since 2014. Luani, Hester, and Vanderdoes already look good and we haven't even seen Obi or Gareon in full capacity. Sharpe has shown potential as well.

Ward didn't get one snap which leads me to believe he he isn't fully healthy from surgery but we are hiding him so we don't have to us an 'IR with a designation to return' spot on him.

5 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Ward didn't get one snap which leads me to believe he he isn't fully healthy from surgery but we are hiding him so we don't have to us an 'IR with a designation to return' spot on him.

He played in preseason though. So guessing just letting him get 100% and work back in rotation. Also, he's listed in Calhoun's spot on the depth chart.