Raiders Defense

Rolni

I don't really care about draft projections my favorite players in this draft from a skill prospective were Sidney Jones and Conley, both have length speed and agility. There's different types of man coverage it's not all bump and run, I think Conley is very good at off man coverage and soft shoe press, sure he's weak but he's got great feet and the length of a big corner, he is a big upgrade in the slot or outside whenever we run cover1 man or cover 3 zone. He brings a different element to the defense when it comes to athleticism and I'm excited to see him play.

1 hour ago, Nodisrespect said:

I don't really care about draft projections my favorite players in this draft from a skill prospective were Sidney Jones and Conley, both have length speed and agility. There's different types of man coverage it's not all bump and run, I think Conley is very good at off man coverage and soft shoe press, sure he's weak but he's got great feet and the length of a big corner, he is a big upgrade in the slot or outside whenever we run cover1 man or cover 3 zone. He brings a different element to the defense when it comes to athleticism and I'm excited to see him play.

I wouldn't want him inside in cover 1 man (not that I expect much of that this year) because of his strength. On early downs, the slot corner is almost like a safety/linebacker hybrid. I really like him outside in cover 3.

15 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I wouldn't want him inside in cover 1 man (not that I expect much of that this year) because of his strength. On early downs, the slot corner is almost like a safety/linebacker hybrid. I really like him outside in cover 3.

Yeah he probably shouldn't be in line to tackle a NFL running back but he has the ability to cover quick guys without getting penalties, we'll see how it works out he needs to get game fit and hit the weight room.

Conley will be huge for the postseason and pivotal games this year (for Hill, Sanders, and Cooks). He's only gonna get better with more exposure. All the corners have looked pretty good to me. No coverage busts, tackling is sound, and I haven't noticed many PI plays.

I hope we can have Obi 100% for week 8 as well so he can get some snaps. There are some good tight ends in the AFC and the more snaps the better.

Joseph has really taken the next step IMO. He's gonna be one of the best safeties in the game sooner or later. You just see it in his mentality. He wants to be great. Every tackle is a kill shot. He has a nose for the ball. He could have better leverage in man coverage, but I'm very pleased with his progress.

26 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Joseph has really taken the next step IMO. He's gonna be one of the best safeties in the game sooner or later. You just see it in his mentality. He wants to be great. Every tackle is a kill shot. He has a nose for the ball. He could have better leverage in man coverage, but I'm very pleased with his progress.

Joseph is looking really good right now, love his mentality.

Edwards is starting to slowly warm up too, I'm pretty optimistic we may have found a solid interior with EVD, MEJ and Jelly.

Conley didn't make any big errors and looks smooth and good in coverage, don't want to jinx him but the D is looking up as far as I can see so long as we keep these guys healthy and they can gel as the season progresses.

On 9/12/2017 at 1:02 PM, NightTrainLane said:
On 9/12/2017 at 0:05 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

As far as the interior DL, it might be early, but Reggie managed to find 2 gems in Hester and Vanderdoes in the mid to late rounds, which is incredible. With those two, Mario, and Autry, it seems like Ward is on the outs.

I know he's only in year 2, but I already feel like Eddie V has made more plays in one game than Ward did all of last year.

Ward didn't get one snap which leads me to believe he he isn't fully healthy from surgery but we are hiding him so we don't have to us an 'IR with a designation to return' spot on him.

On 9/12/2017 at 1:42 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:
On 9/12/2017 at 1:28 PM, NightTrainLane said:

Either way I think his absence is more injury/recovery related than performance relate as MrOaktown_56 suggested.

It definitely is. What I'm trying to say is that even when he's healthy, I doubt he gets serious snaps. 

On 9/12/2017 at 1:51 PM, NightTrainLane said:
On 9/12/2017 at 1:42 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

It definitely is. What I'm trying to say is that even when he's healthy, I doubt he gets serious snaps. 

That is yet to be seen and I doubt that is correct. I think a healthy Ward is still very much in the plans for this defense.

On 9/12/2017 at 2:43 PM, NightTrainLane said:
On 9/12/2017 at 2:28 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

Who's he gonna play over though? Mario and Vanderdoes have clearly supplanted him. He might rotate in, but I doubt he's gonna get starter snaps.

SMH at the bolded. I never said anything about starter snaps. You're the one trying to quantify his playing time after one good game without him. I think he slides into the rotation as he recovers and if, after he is right, he is outplayed then the snaps will be doled out accordingly.

On 9/12/2017 at 4:03 PM, NightTrainLane said:
On 9/12/2017 at 3:16 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

When you said "in the plans", I assumed some kind of significant role. 

If all the dlinemen, besides Mack, are getting around 25-35 snaps, which was what it was last game, and once Ward is healthy he gets the same, then yes, I guess your assumption is correct. That is what I expect from him as I think he is in the plans still.

One week later and Ward is right back in the rotation like I thought he would be. Here are the Snap counts for the Dlinemen. I think we should noted tho that the Jets were in pass heavy mode in the 2nd half trying to catch up so the nickel defense was on the field alot more in that half.

56 total defensive snaps

Mack - 44 snaps 79%
Irvin - 38s 68%
EVD - 31s 55%
Auutry 26s 46%
MEJ 24s 43%
Ward 24s 43%
Cowser 18s 32%
Jelly 15s 27%
Hester 14s 25%

5 hours ago, Nodisrespect said:

I was a Ward hater/ criticiser but he's improved, his body is different and he looks stronger and is using his hands more. Rewatching the game I saw he also got a good pressure. We probably shouldn't give up on him yet.

Ward was a project player to begin with, he was thrust into action when MEJ went down last year and played way more than he was supposed to.  Hes hated on way too much on here. Poster's are so quick to call players out for being busts when most need time to develop. And when they do develop, posters claimed they loved the pick from jump lol

Conley looks like the real deal, dude has exceptional athleticism and ball skills. It was also nice to see him stick his nose in on a couple tackles. Great addition to our defense.

Karl Joseph is playing like our 2nd best defensive player right now, dude is every where on the field. Sometimes he gets bodied in the pass game by big targets, but dude is a baller and makes a huge impact.

MEJ is showing us why so many on here are so high on him, dude is an impact player and makes us that much better. Vanderdoes also looks the part our interior DL is better than most expected.

We have a bunch of young players on defense that will continue to get better as the season goes on. Still far off the level of our offense, but I don't think this is a bottom 10 defense.

7 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

One week later and Ward is right back in the rotation like I thought he would be. Here are the Snap counts for the Dlinemen. I think we should noted tho that the Jets were in pass heavy mode in the 2nd half trying to catch up so the nickel defense was on the field alot more in that half.

56 total defensive snaps

Mack - 44 snaps 79%
Irvin - 38s 68%
EVD - 31s 55%
Auutry 26s 46%
MEJ 24s 43%
Ward 24s 43%
Cowser 18s 32%
Jelly 15s 27%
Hester 14s 25%

I mean, consider that this was the Jets as well and this game was out of reach from early in the 3rd. If Ward gets serious snaps next week, I'll eat my prediction.

4 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I mean, consider that this was the Jets as well and this game was out of reach from early in the 3rd. If Ward gets serious snaps next week, I'll eat my prediction.

4 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah, that was a out you had. But even with that I'm not worried. Only thing that will change IMO if it isn't a blow out are the bottom 6 dlinemen's snaps will even out which will still prove my point.

HTTPS9kLmdyLWFzc2V0cy5jb20vaG9zdGVkaW1hZ

23 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Yeah, that was a out you had. But even with that I'm not worried. Only thing that will change IMO if it isn't a blow out are the bottom 6 dlinemen's snaps will even out which will still prove my point.

HTTPS9kLmdyLWFzc2V0cy5jb20vaG9zdGVkaW1hZ

Not really an out, I would also give him more snaps if the game was out of reach to "develop him"?

10 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Not really an out, I would also give him more snaps if the game was out of reach to "develop him"?

Still doesn't change the snaps being evened out in a normal game point that I made. Which is the proof of your prediction being off. We'll see next week.

(We kinda already know but yeah...)

3 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Still doesn't change the snaps being evened out in a normal game point that I made. Which is the proof of your prediction being off. We'll see next week.

(We kinda already know but yeah...)

It's     one      game.

Was it really that ludicrous of a prediction? 

JDR called him a "non-factor" last year after making him an INACTIVE for the playoff game.

He was PFF's lowest-rated DL, which doesn't mean everything in the world, but it isn't a good sign either.

Granted, he was "raw" coming out, but considering he missed most of the offseason with injuries, it would be pretty rational to assume he wouldn't be taking meaningful snaps in close games when other guys have the production and playtime to prove that they deserve more snaps.

I really don't understand why you're harping on this so much. If he plays great, then I'll be the first to admit I whiffed on him coming out and as a player. But playing 40% of snaps (I'm assuming mostly garbage time) in a game against arguably the worst team in football isn't really telling. I'm not being defensive, it is what it is.

Also, WHY would you think a guy coming off surgery would take similar snaps to established starters? I'm more curious about this than snap counts. Did you see something in Ward last year to make you think this?