Raiders Defense

Rolni

22 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I wouldn’t call him active in run support. To his credit, most corners aren’t active in run support. I do think he was purposefully kept away from slot work because the slot requires a particular athlete Conley is not. Further, the Raiders currently don’t travel corners so I expect Conley will remain on the boundary for most of his career - which is fine.

I actually think Smith is a better player than Amerson. Amerson seems to just be a day late and a dollar short far too often without offering Smith’s upside in run support and physical coverage underneath.

I would call him active in run support and don't think he was kept away from the slot. Look, we're different!

I think Smith's play in run support is overrated. I don't see him proactively driving thru runners legs in the back field and he rarely seals the edge correctly like Amerson does most of the time. I think some let the PFF score get to their head on that aspect.

Secondly, I think Amerson is not only the better overall player but he has potential to improve even still because he is only 25, has limited injury history and he uses his frame like "football player". Smith may be built like Cam Chancellor but he rarely squares guys up for a hit or form tackles runners. You instead tend to see Smith let the runner collide with him and he just wraps his arms around them or tries to shoulder check them. Amerson beats him in this aspect  as well IMO.

Lastly, I think the style of coverage that Amerson is most successful in lends itself to our defense more than Smith's. This has been discussed ALOT so I won't rehash that discussion but we know Smith's limitations in this area. 

All these things combined with the facts that Smith is 30, has a higher cap # and is again in trouble with the law will, IMO, lead to him being cut loose at seasons end and Amerson still manning the LCB spot for us with Conley in the RCB.

Conley looked amazing for a rookie CB in his first game even though they were playing the Jets.  One thing I saw though is in the next week or two either the Redskins or Broncos are going to beat him deep on a double move or pump fake.  His reactions are so fast he is coming to help before the ball is thrown.  I am not a big Xs and Os guy but I bet the next time Nelson moves up to the line and leaves Conley on the outside by himself Cousins will audible to beat him deep.  Quick pump fake to a crossing TE coming towards Conley's side and then just throw it down the sideline. 

6 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Conley looked amazing for a rookie CB in his first game even though they were playing the Jets.  One thing I saw though is in the next week or two either the Redskins or Broncos are going to beat him deep on a double move or pump fake.  His reactions are so fast he is coming to help before the ball is thrown.  I am not a big Xs and Os guy but I bet the next time Nelson moves up to the line and leaves Conley on the outside by himself Cousins will audible to beat him deep.  Quick pump fake to a crossing TE coming towards Conley's side and then just throw it down the sideline. 

You also tend to play less aggressive when you don't have safety help, though 

4 minutes ago, raiderrocker18 said:

You also tend to play less aggressive when you don't have safety help, though 

Maybe he will be good enough already to not make those mistakes and if so that will be amazing.  I just think he will make some rookie mistakes and using his aggressiveness against him will be the way it happens.  Seeing him play this weekend has made me forget about us not drafting Foster in the first.  If he can turn into a shut down corner this defense will get really good really fast.  Miss the days of having an Allen/James and Woodson combo.  

11 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I wouldn’t call him active in run support. To his credit, most corners aren’t active in run support. I do think he was purposefully kept away from slot work because the slot requires a particular athlete Conley is not. Further, the Raiders currently don’t travel corners so I expect Conley will remain on the boundary for most of his career - which is fine.

I actually think Smith is a better player than Amerson. Amerson seems to just be a day late and a dollar short far too often without offering Smith’s upside in run support and physical coverage underneath.

Bologna

As a skins fan amerson was trash in Wsh he's just good st getting ints but I'll take a corner who covers extreamly well and barley gets ints over a corner who gets beat up a lot but gets u 5 ints a year .

amerson literally let Doctson who isn't even the #3 wideout and barley plays any snaps just moss him.

45 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

As a skins fan amerson was trash in Wsh he's just good st getting ints but I'll take a corner who covers extreamly well and barley gets ints over a corner who gets beat up a lot but gets u 5 ints a year .

amerson literally let Doctson who isn't even the #3 wideout and barley plays any snaps just moss him.

Doctson wasn't playing because he was injured IIRC and he just made a good play on the ball. It was one play. Relax.

7 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Doctson wasn't playing because he was injured IIRC and he just made a good play on the ball. It was one play. Relax.

It was the perfect indicative play of the team last night. Just thought the game would fall into their arms without earning it. Carr's passes were the same, just float it out there and we'll win because we're awesome. No crispness, no physicality, no grit or will. On the other side, Washington played the perfect game to counter that. They physically worked for it, and beat the living hell out of an asleep team. 

The defense holding them to 27 is actually a miracle considering they were on the field the entire game. That said, the pass defense as far as yards and completion rate was once again awful.

8 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

It isn't I just injuries he isn't laying because he never practiced or did and preseason games he didn't earn ir .

amerson trash dude you guys need new corners asap .

1 hour ago, holyghost said:

It was the perfect indicative play of the team last night. Just thought the game would fall into their arms without earning it. Carr's passes were the same, just float it out there and we'll win because we're awesome. No crispness, no physicality, no grit or will. On the other side, Washington played the perfect game to counter that. They physically worked for it, and beat the living hell out of an asleep team. 

The defense holding them to 27 is actually a miracle considering they were on the field the entire game. That said, the pass defense as far as yards and completion rate was once again awful.

Absolutely, there where no adjustments to Thompson. The defense made Cousins look like an All Pro with like 5 incompletions. Every drive it seemed like the defense would stop them for 2 plays and then give up the 3rd and long which honestly is a trend for this team.