Raiders Defense

Rolni

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Not saying we could have an elite defense like the Jags but we  could have been close if Reggie made the right moves

Sean Smith signed 2016 for 9.5m per.. could have been cut, and made a serious run at a corner... Jags signed AJ Bouye an all pro for 10.3M per

Reggie Nelson 2016 to 6.0m per Jaguars signed Tashaun Gibson 6.3m  both huge upgrades to a slow secondary

Joseph good pick, couldn't drafted Jalen Ramsey..Church not needed due to Joseph pick, plus Conley is promising so I'll give Reggie a pass on his last two first round picks 

Drafting Ward over Yannick Ngakoue who is turning into a pass rush demon for the Jags.. those smart and moves would have free up using (3rd on Calhoun), (2nd on Obi still might be good)

Signing luxury players to an already strong unit Patterson 5.0m not a good wideout, Cook 5.3m, and keeping and overpaid Kicker Jano 3.3m when we could have signed that stud Dlineman Campbell in 2017 or Malik Jackson  2016..... Also kept Dan Williams after he played like a bum in 2016, Reggie waited until he showed up to training camp out of shape to cut him..

just those smart moves and this defense could be looking super nice

DE: Mack, Edwards

DT: Jackson/Campbell, Eddie Vanderdoes

OLB: Irvin, Ngakoue

MLB:  Likely 2017 2nd rounder

CB: Bouye, Amerson, Conely

S: Joseph, Gibson 

plus two picks... 3rd in 2016, and 2nd in the 2017.. that's not even factoring that stupid trade up for Conor Cook which could have been two more mid round draft picks on defense..... Defense could have alot more talent with a better version... just would have missed out on Patterson and Cooks

I wanted Campbell more than anybody in FA but It was never happening jags had boatloads of cash to spend Raiders had Carr, Jackson and Mack coming up. Bouye was never going to happen either  unless your telling me he was coming here on a discount or 1 year deal 

32 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

It is tough but on the flip side sometimes they get sensory overload  and do something stupid when the correct decision staring right at them.  With RM at least sometimes he makes a decision and it is the easy correct decision.  With Al it was a roller coaster ride every round.  I definitely could have put together a better draft and free agency period than him after Gruden left.  Still love the guy though.

But how do we know that the guy we think is the "right decision'' would be on our team, just because he has success on another team. What if he was disqualified because of something that wouldn't let him mesh with the teammates, system or coaches that we'd never see. That plus the dozens of other things that we won't ever know is what I was speaking of.

I get that this is the internet and we just do and judge what we can. But as many have noticed, I see the value in how this org is run and structured and makes decisions. They aren't infallible but it's hard for me to fault them too much given the task before them and their success.

There are many variables and it is very difficult to put them all together.  Sometimes the GM has a rule of thumb that causes them to completely dismiss a player even though it is clear they are an amazing player.  This is not full proof but nothing is.  Randy Moss (Off the field) and Aaron Rodgers (system) are great examples.  Blackmon and Gordon are their counter parts though also.

13 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

There are many variables and it is very difficult to put them all together.  Sometimes the GM has a rule of thumb that causes them to completely dismiss a player even though it is clear they are an amazing player.  This is not full proof but nothing is.  Randy Moss (Off the field) and Aaron Rodgers (system) are great examples.  Blackmon and Gordon are their counter parts though also.

And those are on the extreme edges of that, while the majority of players are in grey areas where the decisions are not as clear cut talent vs flag.

On 10/11/2017 at 10:55 PM, Humble_Beast said:

Sean Smith signed 2016 for 9.5m per.. could have been cut, and made a serious run at a corner... Jags signed AJ Bouye an all pro for 10.3M per

Hindsight 2017 Super Bowl Champs. Signing Sean Smith and Bruce Irvin, and extending David Amerson were perceptibly good moves at the time. Further, Sean Smith signed for a full $20 million guaranteed and would have been owed $9.5 million if he were cut this season. I also don't know where you got the $10.3 million number for Bouye. According to Spotrac, his average salary is $13.5 with the same number being committed to him this year.

If the Raiders cut Amerson and signed Bouye for the number he signed in Jacksonville (unlikely considering California state tax), Bouye true 2017 cost would be $23 million for the Raiders. We also have to consider Bouye wasn't exactly a known commodity pre-2016.

All things considered, I'll take the Raiders current roster of the Jags current roster -- especially going forward.

2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Hindsight 2017 Super Bowl Champs. Signing Sean Smith and Bruce Irvin, and extending David Amerson were perceptibly good moves at the time. Further, Sean Smith signed for a full $20 million guaranteed and would have been owed $9.5 million if he were cut this season. I also don't know where you got the $10.3 million number for Bouye. According to Spotrac, his average salary is $13.5 with the same number being committed to him this year.

If the Raiders cut Amerson and signed Bouye for the number he signed in Jacksonville (unlikely considering California state tax), Bouye true 2017 cost would be $23 million for the Raiders. We also have to consider Bouye wasn't exactly a known commodity pre-2016.

All things considered, I'll take the Raiders current roster of the Jags current roster -- especially going forward.

I think we could have cut Smith before 3/11/17 without taking a cap hit.  Also he was talking about signing him this past off-season and not pre-2016.  I would definitely take Bouye at $13.5 over Smith at $9.5.  We would have had to sign him for a little more considering taxes but not much because by this time the Las Vegas move, I believe, was already voted on.  We would have had to back load his contract and increase the signing bonus but still worth it.  Having a young Conley and Bouye would have been amazing.  Hoping Conley can get healthy and Amerson regain his form.  They still make a good tandem.

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I think we could have cut Smith before 3/11/17 without taking a cap hit.  Also he was talking about signing him this past off-season and not pre-2016.  I would definitely take Bouye at $13.5 over Smith at $9.5.  We would have had to sign him for a little more considering taxes but not much because by this time the Las Vegas move, I believe, was already voted on.  We would have had to back load his contract and increase the signing bonus but still worth it.  Having a young Conley and Bouye would have been amazing.  Hoping Conley can get healthy and Amerson regain his form.  They still make a good tandem.

It's just like saying we should have signed Hayward instead of Smith, who were actually signed in the same offseason, and when Bouye was still a nobody. It's all hindsight and a waste of time.

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Only his base salary ($5,000,000) wasn't fully guaranteed pre-3/11 so the team would still have to pay him $4.5 million to go away. Lessens the $9.5 million number, but it still makes the move to cut him somewhat prohibitive considering what they must have thought of him pre-2016.

My point on Bouye is he had one year of top level production and was a virtual unknown in 2015. Corner is already a mercurial position so there was palpable risk in signing him for what the Jags did.