Raiders Defense

Rolni

2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

An Rapoport reporting...

I'm sure it'll be a preferable option for him, what with the close proximity aspect, meaning he won't have to uproot his family. He would also definitely help out a really weak unit.

The stumbling block will be the finances. He's going to want more than his age and recent play probably merit.

I'd pull the trigger, though. Short term deal, please.

22 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

It's just like saying we should have signed Hayward instead of Smith, who were actually signed in the same offseason, and when Bouye was still a nobody. It's all hindsight and a waste of time.

It is not hindsight for someone who was calling for us to cut Smith and sign Bouye.  There are moves RM has made that I was critical of when he made it it other players I wanted.  If it turns out I am correct and later state that on this forum that is not hindsight.  That is me having a stronger argument that I was correct although nothing is for sure since many things could have gone wrong if it happened the way I wanted also.  In the off-season I was okay with going either direction because Bouye looked like a great player but also Smith looked like he was a viable option at his price.

As far as Smith's contract goes it is a little ambiguous.  $10.75 was initially GTD but it has $20 GTD at signing.  Maybe in the contracts it has something to do with when the money is received because he does not have a signing bonus.  I am not familiar with how his contract is set up.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

It is not hindsight for someone who was calling for us to cut Smith and sign Bouye.  There are moves RM has made that I was critical of when he made it it other players I wanted.  If it turns out I am correct and later state that on this forum that is not hindsight.  That is me having a stronger argument that I was correct although nothing is for sure since many things could have gone wrong if it happened the way I wanted also.  In the off-season I was okay with going either direction because Bouye looked like a great player but also Smith looked like he was a viable option at his price.

As far as Smith's contract goes it is a little ambiguous.  $10.75 was initially GTD but it has $20 GTD at signing.  Maybe in the contracts it has something to do with when the money is received because he does not have a signing bonus.  I am not familiar with how his contract is set up.

You have a stronger argument because of how things turned out...

Smith contract had 10.75mil as GTD at signing and the 2017 base (5mil) and roster bonus (4.25mil) was paid after 3/11 when he was still on the roster. Not technically a GTD.

1 hour ago, Nodisrespect said:

Maybe we shouldn't knee jerk overpay for a 2 down linebacker, Lee is already a good 2 down guy. If Bowman can't cover any more he's not worth a big deal no matter how desperate we might feel.

We were thinking at LB coming into the year and have some injuries now. I wouldn't mind bringing in a two down guy, could be very helpful

7 hours ago, Nodisrespect said:

Maybe we shouldn't knee jerk overpay for a 2 down linebacker, Lee is already a good 2 down guy. If Bowman can't cover any more he's not worth a big deal no matter how desperate we might feel.

I doubt gets more than a one year deal so the money doesn't matter to me really. Good rotational/depth addition and a great mentor/teacher for all the youth we have at LB and on defense overall

46 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Carrie needs to be resigned ASAP. Dude has been balling as of late and has tackled well this year. He's at the very least a piece to the puzzle with Conley and Amerson? Dexter Mcdonald showing some things as well.

Carrie is looking like he'll get a 4-5mil a year. I don't know if Reggie has that much slotted in the budget but he is one of my favorite current Raiders and I would love to see him stay. But if the money is too good elsewhere I wouldn't fault him.

If you are saying we should offer a cap friendly deal now I'm kinda down with that. There are risks whenever someone is signed.

I bet Reggie is realistically counting him as a comp pick tho in his mind and we move McDonald into his slot.

BTW did we notice that SS got zero snaps...

23 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Carrie is looking like he'll get a 4-5mil a year. I don't know if Reggie has that much slotted in the budget but he is one of my favorite current Raiders and I would love to see him stay. But if the money is too good elsewhere I wouldn't fault him.

If you are saying we should offer a cap friendly deal now I'm kinda down with that. There are risks whenever someone is signed.

I bet Reggie is realistically counting him as a comp pick tho in his mind and we move McDonald into his slot.

If we cut SS, we save 10 mil next year. I can't see Reggie willing to dole out 10 to SS, but not give Carrie 4 or 5 million, especially because he likes to "pay his own". Why not keep him and Mconald, who'll still be on his rookie deal? We can never have too many good corners.

19 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If we cut SS, we save 10 mil next year. I can't see Reggie willing to dole out 10 to SS, but not give Carrie 4 or 5 million, especially because he likes to "pay his own". Why not keep him and Mconald, who'll still be on his rookie deal? We can never have too many good corners.

Becuae that money may not be there in the budget and he may feel like he can replace Carrie with a Draft pick or cheaper FA. The Reggie likes to keep his own is pretty over rated at this point. It's all about the $ now.

Edited by NightTrainLane

10 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

I think Carrie is a keeper.

He is a quality slot CB.

We need to let Sean and Amerson walk IMO.

Resign Carrie and bring in a veteran outside guy, then draft another guy.

Conley-FA-Carrie would be the starting 3, Dexter and rookie the depth.

We need to see what we have in Obi, but ideally we will have the Karl-Obi duo with Shalom and McGill as depth.

At LB we will have to wait till the end of this season. Lee is a solid 2 down option right now, he could be a solid MLB option by the season's end. Bowman or another veteran should be brought back/in to back him up/to rotate.

James and Morrow could grow enough to be our WLB rotation. If they struggle we need to invest to that position finally.

We have to monitor Calhoun...he looked solid against the Chargers IMO, he might be able to stay on roster as a depth EDGE guy.

Cowser is also a keeper IMO, but we should bring in some rookie competition for Cowser and Calhoun. Not high draft picks, but raw speed guys IMO.

Irvin is not playing on his 2016 level, but still not an issue IMO, he could still be a solid starter across Mack IMO.

Edwards, Jelly, Autry looks pretty solid this year. Autry is a keeper IMO and so is Jelly on a solid deal.

Vanderdoes and Hester looks promising so far and Latham played well on a limited basis. We need to see more from all of them, but all could be solid options.

Ward seems like a lost project to me. He will have to really fight for a roster spot next year. 

A lot depends on Autry and Jelly on the DL IMO, but this DL is close to being good IMO.

Overall this defense could be a solid group with a better DC IMO. Pagano could take over or we could bring in another guy from the outside to work the scheme a bit and to improve the playcalling. 

I think we need a veteran CB, LB and some rookie depth (CB, DL, EDGE) if we can bring back the solid contributors (Carrie, Jelly, Autry).

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I would love to see what a guy like Jim Shwartz (just an example) could get out of this defense. Just someone who knew how to scheme defenses and bring the most out of players would be interesting. 

I agree but honestly we need to wait and see which HCs get fired this offseason that can be brought in to coach. No way can the Raiders lure away successful coordinators. They need to luck out and see a coaching staff get fired. At this point I can't really think of any though except for Hue Jackson and I highly doubt the Raiders bring him back. Maybe the dolphins can their coach? Idk I feel like a lot of coaches will either retire or just become HCs again. 

2 hours ago, Rolni said:

I think we need a veteran CB, LB and some rookie depth (CB, DL, EDGE) if we can bring back the solid contributors (Carrie, Jelly, Autry).

Yeah that is rooted in a land where we don't have to sign Mack to the highest deal in football. Of course, I wanna keep Carrie and Jelly and sometimes Autry but I think we won't be able to match the offers they get and remain fiscally flexible. Dropping Smith and Amerson would help but I don think we lose both. We'll see. Still a long long long long way away from those decisions.

Edited by NightTrainLane