Raiders Defense

Rolni

it still just blows my mind how, our GM, HC and DC were all relatively successful LBers in the NFL.... and yet that is the one position they seem to not value on D.

Do you think between the 3 of them they just feel like they can coach up and make anyone work there? Id hope not, but it seems like it.

22 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

it still just blows my mind how, our GM, HC and DC were all relatively successful LBers in the NFL.... and yet that is the one position they seem to not value on D.

Do you think between the 3 of them they just feel like they can coach up and make anyone work there? Id hope not, but it seems like it.

Or the chips haven't fallen into place to address it the way they want. Davis went a few picks before us. Conley was a steal and Foster fell for a reason. McMillian went a few picks before us again in round 2. I'd put money on the chance we take either of those guys if they are on the board.

3 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Yeah that is rooted in a land where we don't have to sign Mack to the highest deal in football. Of course, I wanna keep Carrie and Jelly and sometimes Autry but I think we won't be able to match the offers they get and remain fiscally flexible. Dropping Smith and Amerson would help but I don think we lose both. We'll see. Still a long long long long way away from those decisions.

We will see, as you said.

I think we need to cut both Amerson and Smith. Then we should be able to bring back Carrie, extend Mack and also have a decent shot at bringing back Autry and/or Ellis...

5 hours ago, Chali21 said:

I agree but honestly we need to wait and see which HCs get fired this offseason that can be brought in to coach. No way can the Raiders lure away successful coordinators. They need to luck out and see a coaching staff get fired. At this point I can't really think of any though except for Hue Jackson and I highly doubt the Raiders bring him back. Maybe the dolphins can their coach? Idk I feel like a lot of coaches will either retire or just become HCs again. 

Good position coaches posing as head coaches get fired every year KNJ contract is expiring and at bare minimum we need a senior offensive assistant similar to Pagano but for the offense.

3 hours ago, Rolni said:

We will see, as you said.

I think we need to cut both Amerson and Smith. Then we should be able to bring back Carrie, extend Mack and also have a decent shot at bringing back Autry and/or Ellis...

Yeah, just doing a quick glance at the #'s and knowing that there are a TON of different ways to work deals and for money to be moved around, it very possible.

Say Mack is signed to a huge deal like Von's deal last year but more. His cap hit next year might stay around 15mil and then jump to around 20 for the next 6 or so years depend on the length of the deal. That would leave us with around 13mil. Add Smith's 8.5mil (I think is very likely) and Amerson's 6mil (less likely) and we have 28.5mil. Minus around 6mil for draft picks and that leaves 22.5 to sign whoever.

Of course, if we do cut Amerson then Carrie getting a deal is more likely just out of position need. I just think the rest of the year will determine DA's fate. If he holds up and doesn't have any more real red flags(bad games, concussions, etc) we may hold on to him because the position is so hard to get and keep reliable help in. You need all the help you can get, as we have learned this year. Amerson is still only 26 and not on a crazy deal. Plus I'm not overjoyed about the corner class in the draft or in FA. At this point in FA I'd only want T. Johnson or Butler or maybe Kyle Fuller and they all will get PAID. To early to tell in the draft.

3 hours ago, Nodisrespect said:

We also need self scouter/analytics guys to keep the offense balanced and unpredictable.

This I agree with. The Chiefs have had a guy like that, Mike Frazer, sine 2013 and he's been with Reid for more than 10 year.

http://www.chiefs.com/team/coaches/mike-frazier/3d300b94-86e6-4091-87fe-8ca7b4aabe06

4 hours ago, Nodisrespect said:

Good position coaches posing as head coaches get fired every year KNJ contract is expiring and at bare minimum we need a senior offensive assistant similar to Pagano but for the offense.

Sure, but who is that this year? Hue? McAdoo? Pagano? Not sure there's a defensive guru that's on the hot seat other than maybe pagano. And he's a tool. 

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

Of course, if we do cut Amerson then Carrie getting a deal is more likely just out of position need. I just think the rest of the year will determine DA's fate. If he holds up and doesn't have any more real red flags(bad games, concussions, etc) we may hold on to him because the position is so hard to get and keep reliable help in. You need all the help you can get, as we have learned this year. Amerson is still only 26 and not on a crazy deal. Plus I'm not overjoyed about the corner class in the draft or in FA. At this point in FA I'd only want T. Johnson or Butler or maybe Kyle Fuller and they all will get PAID. To early to tell in the draft.

I think David Amerson is a keep despite me not being a big fan of him. His cap hit isn't oppressive and at the very least he'll provide much needed veteran depth at the corner position. Carrie has been playing well as of late but I don't think he's worth more than 4 million a year. I would think the only safe guys for next year would be Amerson and Conley.

A player I really like at a bargain basement price next offseason would be Kyle Fuller. He apparently hasn't been good (again) this year but I think he has reclamation potential ala David Amerson. There are few corners I liked better coming out of college and I think he could thrive in the slot.