Raiders Defense

Rolni

Yeah we need Obi and Conley big time.

Also it would be nice to see Luani in McGill's place...

Let them young guys play, since the vets su&k anyway...

Obi-Karl in the back end with Conley-Carrie-McDonald at CB...obviously Obi needs to return and Conley needs to get healthy first...

With Bowman in the line up the LB group looked better IMO...I hope it is not just bias after the win :)

4 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Secondary is hopeless. I just laughed when I saw that McGill tip play. Didn't even get mad.

But I did like how we defended Kelce. I saw Irvin lined up on him multiple times, hitting him as he got off the LOS. I would love to see Irvin do this more

Good point on Irvin! He is big and strong enough to jam those TE's and mass up the quick timing throws. With some time Mack&Co can get to the QB or/and Bowman&Co can get good position on the TE...we should continue to try this method, since this seems like our best answer so far...

I can't wait Obi to get into the line up against the TE's...

1 hour ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Luani needs to see the field before McGill, plain and simple. 

McGill wasn't bad.  Just showed why he plays defense and not offense. He also gives us size and speed and has experience as a S and a CB. We also want him to get signed next yeqr by another team so he helps our comp equation.

38 minutes ago, NickButera said:

To be fair, for as many holes as we have, our defense is playing much better than last year, and pretty decent. Even last night, against one of the best offenses in the league, we didn't allow a point all 4th qtr and it allowed us to come back and win. 

While I agree we're much improved, last night's offensive line wasn't one of the best. They were starting backups at all 3 interior spots due to injuries. We made plays against them inside tho which is all I wanted to see. We exploited that weakness a few times

27 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

While I agree we're much improved, last night's offensive line wasn't one of the best. They were starting backups at all 3 interior spots due to injuries. We made plays against them inside tho which is all I wanted to see. We exploited that weakness a few times

I was surprised that Mack didn’t go off more. He applied pressure all night. I think Smith is going to be seeing him in his sleep. 

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

McGill wasn't bad.  Just showed why he plays defense and not offense. He also gives us size and speed and has experience as a S and a CB. We also want him to get signed next yeqr by another team so he helps our comp equation.

Just because he gives us size, speed, and experience doesn’t mean he’s not bad. Dude is flat out awful. He can’t tackle and he definitely can’t make any plays since he got into the league in 2014.

1 minute ago, RoyalMajesty51o said:

Just because he gives us size, speed, and experience doesn’t mean he’s not bad. Dude is flat out awful. He can’t tackle and he definitely can’t make any plays since he got into the league in 2014.

I said ALSO gives us size, speed, and experience. Believe what you want.

In hindsight and in the cold light of day, I'm a little less frustrated by our secondary today than I was Friday immediately after watching the KC game - sure, Amerson got lit up a few times but it isn't the first and won't be the last time Tyreek Hill does that to someone - for comparison, Marcus Peters got toasted all night too so it can happen to some very good players. I'd keep faith in Amerson and expect Conley to be a big part moving forward. We have some interesting parts in Luani and Obi to come back in and I for one (and the only one probably) still thinks Sean Smith can be a solid contributor when used correctly - albeit not at his current rate of pay. Smith and Nelson will probably move on next year into retirement so I think we need to see this year what we have in a few younger players so we know what we have to account for in the draft and FA. Carrie I believe is a FA but he's played pretty well when given the chance and I think we should be able to retain him at a reasonable rate to be a #3 CB. 

19 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

So we're going to give him playing time to eventually get a comp pick out of it? Are we trying to win games or get more draft picks?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

So we're going to give him playing time to eventually get a comp pick out of it? Are we trying to win games or get more draft picks?

If that was the only thing that I said then I could see how it would be impractical. Also I don't believe this is among the motivations that have him on the field but an added bonus if he can play reasonably well. That's a big if at this point.

On 10/20/2017 at 11:10 AM, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Luani needs to see the field before McGill, plain and simple. 

Luani was on the field on that fluke int, and I'm not sure if he blew his coverage but it looked like he may have. It looks like it was supposed to be 3 deep instead of 2 deep with luani in the middle.

And that's ok either way but my point is it's hard to put Rookies at saftey.

Looking at the snap count that was literally Luani's only snap.

Edited by Nodisrespect

1 hour ago, Nodisrespect said:

Luani was on the field on that fluke int, and I'm not sure if he blew his coverage but it looked like he may have. It looks like it was supposed to be 3 deep instead of 2 deep with luani in the middle.

And that's ok either way but my point is it's hard to put Rookies at saftey.

Looking at the snap count that was literally Luani's only snap.

I agree it’s hard to play safety at a high level as a rookie but my train of thought is we know what McGill is, he’s been in the league for a few years and isn’t going to turn into anything more than he is which is a borderline ST player that doesn’t have the ability to play meaningful snaps. Now with Luani we don’t know what we have and if the safety play is going to be subpar, I’d rather have Luani make mistakes and learn from them then stick McGill out there.