Raiders Defense

Rolni

3 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I actually think the back end has begun to become the weakness of this team. Our corners aren't making plays and Nelson is always late on deep balls.

My point is more that the defensive front has been the bigger disappointment considering the investment the team has made.

5 hours ago, RaiderX said:

I'm kinda thinking the staff should start throwing some of these young guys out there. Vets like Amerson, Smith, Nelson, etc. are not getting it done.

Smith has already been pulled. There isn’t anyone reliable to put in Nelson’s place right now. The options there are a 7th round rookie in Shalom Luani or Kieth McGill. It’d be tough to pull Amerson too without Conley healthy.

Playing well in preseason against 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stringers is one thing. Guys like Borders and Luani still have a lot to prove on the practice field.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I'd be willing to risk giving Luani some reps, not Borders though.  Thing is: Nelson was voted a captain in preseason.  Gonna be tough to straight up bench him.

We don't have to bench him IMO, but when Obi is back we should start to reduce Nelson's snaps.

We have Bowman now in the middle, to call the D and to present veteran leadership, so Nelson's veteran aspect won't be that improtant IMO. 

I would like to see Obi on TE's and as a box safety with Karl playing deep. We could always play 3 S looks like we did with McGill lately.

Bowman's presence and the young DB's return could be a big down the strech.

The Irvin-Bowman-James trio looks solid to me and the Cowser-Lee-Morrow depth looks like NFL caliber also.

The Conley-Carrie-Obi\Nelson-Karl-Amerson\McDonald secondary could be a nice improvement to close the year.

The DL so far looks solid IMO and Eddie and Hester should only get better with playing time.

This D still won't be a top 10 unit, but hopefully we could be a middle of the pack kinda D, which could be enough to have a strong finish, IF the O plays like they did against the Chiefs...Hopefully Downing (and Tice) will build on this KC game, use more power runs and play actions and move Coop around.

34 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Really jealous of Philly's DL last night, watching how fresh and hard those guys went every single play was awesome to see. Hope we draft a pass rusher early this coming draft, 1-3. Can never have enough of those guys. Philly is legit. 

Yes big time I mean look at what’s behind Mack It isn’t much to put it nicely 

1 hour ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Really jealous of Philly's DL last night, watching how fresh and hard those guys went every single play was awesome to see. Hope we draft a pass rusher early this coming draft, 1-3. Can never have enough of those guys. Philly is legit. 

I was thinking that too... they have 8 studs who can make play all over their dline..I can only count 5 on this team 

Mack- all world 

edwards- solid base end.. having an impact 

eddie vanderdoes- has been a day one starter and made plays 

Ellis- playing his heart out on his contract year 

autry- good for pressures here and there, solid against the run 

beyond those 5 we have next to nothing.. I wouldn't mind drafting a few defensive lineman 

Latham- suspended, can't really count on him 

Hester- getting a shot, but I really haven't noticed him making an impact. Can't expect so much for 7th round pick 

Calhoun/Ward- busts 

Cowser- I consider him more of a linebacker 

4 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I was thinking that too... they have 8 studs who can make play all over their dline..I can only count 5 on this team 

Mack- all world 

edwards- solid base end.. having an impact 

eddie vanderdoes- has been a day one starter and made plays 

Ellis- playing his heart out on his contract year 

autry- good for pressures here and there, solid against the run 

beyond those 5 we have next to nothing.. I wouldn't mind drafting a few defensive lineman 

Latham- suspended, can't really count on him 

Hester- getting a shot, but I really haven't noticed him making an impact. Can't expect so much for 7th round pick 

Calhoun/Ward- busts 

Cowser- I consider him more of a linebacker 

Defintely agree. I’d like to draft a young pass rusher DE (not olb) and sign/draft another DT to go with Vanderdoes and Jelly moving forward. 

1 hour ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

I want to see us use Irvin as more of an off the line LB. He, simply put, isn't a pass rusher. We tried to get him to fit that role and it's just not him. 

Seattle had it right when they used him as an all around LB. 

We do use him that way. Especially when we are in the nickel or dime. He is a SLB. He will rush, keep the edge and be a Jack(roving attacker/DE hybrid) at times.