Raiders Defense

Rolni

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

While many are suggesting completely gutting our secondary and starting over yet again, I'd be very interested to see how we adapt under our new interim DC Pagano. Amerson I feel still has talent so I'd be loathe to cut him even after a down season. I want to see what he can do with a competent DC holding the reigns, Smith of course may play better but he'd still be way overpaid so he has to go on his current cap hit.

Amerson has been bad to mediocre two seasons in a row. Corners mostly have the same job no matter what team they're on: either play man, cover 2 zone, or cover 3 zone. The best think Pagano could do for the defense in improve the pass rush, thus helping the secondary.

I think it might be late for him to make whole sale changes to the unit, but I'd like to see more blitzes -- especially from the secondary -- called.

I really do not understand why they did not claim Jalen Collins. Maybe the guy is a jerk. Maybe he really wasn't very good when playing for Atlanta. But not adding some decent talent is almost riskier than taking on (potentially) troubled talent at this point. 

26 minutes ago, mct288 said:

I really do not understand why they did not claim Jalen Collins. Maybe the guy is a jerk. Maybe he really wasn't very good when playing for Atlanta. But not adding some decent talent is almost riskier than taking on (potentially) troubled talent at this point. 

But that is the point. We don't know what they do.

He is young, was a highly drafted therefore atleast looked like he had good potential and has produced in the league. And still no one touched him. I'm betting there is a good reason for it and would rather not have that on the team.

12 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

He is young, was a highly drafted therefore atleast looked like he had good potential and has produced in the league. And still no one touched him. I'm betting there is a good reason for it and would rather not have that on the team.

Oh, that's a given. If the guy was arrested or had an incident, we would probably know though. I guess he could be injured. But aside from that, I don't really care if he's an A-hole/rubs teammates the wrong way/isn't coachable as long as he isn't doing something heinous.

For perspective - I don't think missing out on or grabbing Jalen Collins is going to make or break a team. He can probably be successful if he goes to NE, or SEA or somewhere with established people, but other than that - we might not hear about the guy really ever again. Just thought it would be worth the risk, which is basically zero.

16 minutes ago, mct288 said:

I don't really care if he's an A-hole/rubs teammates the wrong way/isn't coachable as long as he isn't doing something heinous.

But I think I can say for a certainty that GMs care about those things especially when deciding to add someone to an already established group mid campaign. Bill B may not care if the guy is an ahole but if he isn't coachable he isn't a Pat.

this team lacks talent at corner, should take a shot on Jalen Collins.. actually historical bad DB play....

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/jalen-collins?id=2552573

Good size, and is young at 24 former 2nd round pick.. Best case we land a starting Corner, worst case he screws up again and just cut him.. plenty of guys who don't deserve to be in the nfl we could cut:

mcgill, mcdonald, erik harris

Edited by Humble_Beast

On 11/23/2017 at 8:26 AM, NightTrainLane said:

he had a great game at the super bowl.... low risk type of pickup... Reggie put nice talent on offense, but I don't like how he built this defense...

Just now, Humble_Beast said:

he had a great game at the super bowl.... low risk type of pickup... Reggie put nice talent on offense, but I don't like how he built this defense...

How do you know it's a low risk pick up?

What if he has already done the thing that would get low risk guys cut from the team?

When 32 team pass on a young 2nd rd talent, that says he isn't NFL material ATM regardless of how well he played in the past. Hell, the Chief just signed Revis and we all remember how done he was.

Not sure why you're trying to push this agenda. Maybe to troll vs Reggie...

3 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

How do you know it's a low risk pick up?

What if he has already done the thing that would get low risk guys cut from the team?

When 32 team pass on a young 2nd rd talent, that says he isn't NFL material ATM regardless of how well he played in the past. Hell, the Chief just signed Revis and we all remember how done he was.

Not sure why you're trying to push this agenda. Maybe to troll vs Reggie...

not even about Reggie, this secondary play sucks..... could use any type of talent... Revis was picked up, because he is a hall of fame vet and Chiefs still want to make a super bowl run. All teams knows its risky because he has been suspended. his talent is there, but his teams aren't that desperate to add corner like the raiders. Conely is out for the year.... Collins feels a need and this defense just needs talent.. its low risk because he is a free agent who isn't going cost much or a high pick.. we had a guy who was suspended for performance enhancers Andre Holmes....idk why you say he doesn't have NFL talent, he has already started and prove he can play as a starting corner.. Could he screw up again, sure.... could he help the raiders, maybe... corners suck, it is worth the risk

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

not even about Reggie, this secondary play sucks..... could use any type of talent... Revis was picked up, because he is a hall of fame vet and Chiefs still want to make a super bowl run. All teams knows its risky because he has been suspended. his talent is there, but his teams aren't that desperate to add corner like the raiders. Conely is out for the year.... Collins feels a need and this defense just needs talent.. its low risk because he is a free agent who isn't going cost much or a high pick.. we had a guy who was suspended for performance enhancers Andre Holmes....idk why you say he doesn't have NFL talent, he has already started and prove he can play as a starting corner.. Could he screw up again, sure.... could he help the raiders, maybe... corners suck, it is worth the risk

The team needs secondary talent but it doesn't need problems. This guy has proven that he can't follow the rules and god knows what else he has in his NFL file that makes him so toxic. Revis was washed up and getting abused before he was released but the Chiefs still took him over a young guy that has proven he can play still the last time he was on the field. That should tell you enough right there.

There are tons of guys that fit needs for teams and still aren't picked up because they haven't earned the right to be in the NFL or have physical or mental issues that make them undesirable. I didn't say he doesn't have NFL talent, I said he wasn't NFL material ATM as was proven by EVERY TEAM passing on him. You have no idea whether it's worth the risk but the GMs that passed do and they decided it wasn't.

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

The team needs secondary talent but it doesn't need problems. This guy has proven that he can't follow the rules and god knows what else he has in his NFL file that makes him so toxic. Revis was washed up and getting abused before he was released but the Chiefs still took him over a young guy that has proven he can play still the last time he was on the field. That should tell you enough right there.

There are tons of guys that fit needs for teams and still aren't picked up because they haven't earned the right to be in the NFL or have physical or mental issues that make them undesirable. I didn't say he doesn't have NFL talent, I said he wasn't NFL material ATM as was proven by EVERY TEAM passing on him. You have no idea whether it's worth the risk but the GMs that passed do and they decided it wasn't.

What are you arguing? It’s not that big of a deal... obviously he has red flags... but at this point  why not take a shot and potential find someone to help this pathetic defense. Not expecting anything but worth a shot...Revis also has great football iq and prolly can help at safety with Eric berry out... you are so against adding a potential player who could help a team who can’t get an interception... we are talking about cb depth, don’t take it to heart 

27 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

What are you arguing? It’s not that big of a deal

I'm saying that if it was worth it we or someone else would have picked him up.

28 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

at this point  why not take a shot and potential find someone to help this pathetic defense.

Because every GM in the league has deemed it not worth it even in the face of his talent.

29 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

we are talking about cb depth, don’t take it to heart 

What makes you think I'm taking it to heart? We're having a discussion.

32 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

So he juiced up... okay, but has he broke his qb jaw like that guy we had in training camp... if he screws up with the chemistry and juices up again, just cut him. Wouldn’t be a big loss 

It's not about comparing players from the roster it's about the people in charge of every team looked at him and said no. Normally a guy like that gets grabbed on waivers  but with everyone passing there are obviously things about him that make it a bad idea to sign him. We don't know what they are. Could be he doesn't want to play? Could be he has proven to the league with his attitude that he doesn't appreciate the opportunity? Could be that he isn't in shape after sitting the whole year? Could be that his good play was dependent on the PEDs and he isn't as attractive a player without them?

You keep asking why not?...Well, there are just a few of the possible reasons but the reality is we don't and probably won't know why no one took a chance on him but even if Reggie was stupid for not picking him up, are all the other GMs stupid too?

Or just maybe are they operating with more knowledge than we are...

That is the whole circle of this discussion. Nothing else to say unless more info comes out.

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

I'm sure insiders know more about his situation. I bet he signs with a team by next week

I bet he isn't signed til next year when he can make a fresh start in a camp or a contending team like the Rams gets REALLY REALLY desperate down the stretch. Right now teams are taking guys off practice squads and out of retirement over him so it's not looking good.