Jump to content
Rolni

Raiders Defense

Recommended Posts

Good post again Rolni! My couple of observations would be;

Whitehead looks to be a SLB but from most accounts his weak point is coverage, I can see us using Morrow who I thought was good in coverage last year, particularly on TEs and I can see us using Obi in a hybrid type role also as you suggest.

I think Carradine/Edwards would be our base DE with Irvin coming in on Nickel and pass rush downs. I’ just can’t see Irvin being a full time DE like Mack. I’d like to see a ‘Nascar’ type package of Irvin - Mack - Hurst - Key too. 

I think we’ll see a lot of 3 safety sets with Joseph as the FS, Gilchrist playing near the line or slot and Obi tasked with matching up against TE or RB

I hope that Vanderdoes injury isn’t too bad as I feel he could put it together this year. We’ve added what appear to be one gap pentrators and doubled up so I think we may have finally found a solution to our pass rush issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I read we will be doing a lot of Cover 2 and Cover 4 with a little bit of man. Guenther likes to hide two LBs behind the ball/DL and send blitzes up the middle. The hope is this creates more one on one matchups for our DLinemen since those interior blockers will always be thinking about who they got to pickup. Not a blitzer so much as he wants pressure on every play because he thinks there is oppertunity for more one on one matchups. He prefers to get there with four but will blitz if it is not working which also helps open it back up for the front four. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TiberiusRising said:

From what I read we will be doing a lot of Cover 2 and Cover 4 with a little bit of man. Guenther likes to hide two LBs behind the ball/DL and send blitzes up the middle. The hope is this creates more one on one matchups for our DLinemen since those interior blockers will always be thinking about who they got to pickup. Not a blitzer so much as he wants pressure on every play because he thinks there is oppertunity for more one on one matchups. He prefers to get there with four but will blitz if it is not working which also helps open it back up for the front four. 

Cover 2 and Cover 4 with man-to-man CB duties most of the time IMO.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Raiders bringing in Derrick Johnson for a visit. Cue the gruden old guy jokes. In all seriousness, he graded out as a top five coverage backer last year. If he’s cheaper than bowman, go for it. Plus he’ll probably have a little extra motivation against kc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Would rather resign Bowman, but Johnson wouldn't be a terrible fall back option if he's cheaper. 

 

Edited by SilverNBlackFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Roninho said:

Would both be an option?

Thats what I was thinking. Why not. With Tahir in the mix we would have  a nice rotation of LBs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TiberiusRising said:

Thats what I was thinking. Why not. With Tahir in the mix we would have  a nice rotation of LBs. 

Well, if we cant come to terms with Bowman now then I doubt the money will be there if we sign Johnson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Well, if we cant come to terms with Bowman now then I doubt the money will be there if we sign Johnson.

I think we may be using Johnson as leverage with Bowman.. Bowman still wants to play, but i doubt he wants to pack up and move his family else where for one season.
It makes sense for him to stay in the bay area, but wants more than the raiders are offering.. He was probably saying, there is no other LB out there, so pay me good money..

We can now say, well Johnson is willing to pay for as little as X amount, either take the deal or we are going with him?

I would be happy with both though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

I think we may be using Johnson as leverage with Bowman.. Bowman still wants to play, but i doubt he wants to pack up and move his family else where for one season.
It makes sense for him to stay in the bay area, but wants more than the raiders are offering.. He was probably saying, there is no other LB out there, so pay me good money..

We can now say, well Johnson is willing to pay for as little as X amount, either take the deal or we are going with him?

I would be happy with both though. 

Good point. Johnson played for under 2.5mil last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Would rather resign Bowman, but Johnson wouldn't be a terrible fall back option if he's cheaper. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Corey James released

Damn! I thought he was decent in spot duty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×