Raiders Defense

Rolni

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

What do you think?

Defense lacks star power currently. There isn't "that guy" on that side of the ball. They should be improved, but there are still major questions at LB and pass rusher that will continue to haunt them. Unit needs an Alpha eventually. Abram can maybe become that guy in time as a tone setter. But next year they need to focus on finding that player to bring it all together in the front 7.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Defense lacks star power currently. There isn't "that guy" on that side of the ball. They should be improved, but there are still major questions at LB and pass rusher that will continue to haunt them. Unit needs an Alpha eventually. Abram can maybe become that guy in time as a tone setter. But next year they need to focus on finding that player to bring it all together in the front 7.

I dont think we currently have anyone that has the ability to be top 3 at their position, but i do think the defense has the ability to be a solid defense, thats better than the sum of their parts. I think Hurst and Conley both have the ability to take another step and could become guys that are top 10 at their position type of guys, and that could make a world of difference  on this defense. I also think Abram and Ferrell can be that caliber of player as well, though Ferrell maybe a little lower because of the amount of good pass rushers. That likely wont be this season though. I agree we still need an alpha, but if we can find that the defense is closer than some probably think if a few guys take a step forward. 

Edited by Mr Raider
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Raider said:

I dont think we currently have anyone that has the ability to be top 3 at their position, but i do think the defense has the ability to be a solid defense, thats better than the sum of their parts. I think Hurst and Conley both have the ability to take another step and could become guys that are top 10 at their position type of guys, and that could make a world of difference  on this defense. I also think Abram and Ferrell can be that caliber of player as well, though Ferrell maybe a little lower because of the amount of good pass rushers. That likely wont be this season though. I agree we still need an alpha, but if we can find that the defense is closer than some probably think if a few guys take a step forward. 

There is certainly potential. Have to remember Ferrell and Abram are rookies, they will have to adjust. And hopefully Hurst, Hall, Key all take big steps in year 2. By 2020, they could be rounding into a nice unit. 

LB is still going to be an issue. 3 guys that lack in coverage is a problem. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Raider said:

I characterize this unit as one that will be good if everyone does their job but if there is a breakdown they are done.  Nobody is able to make up for someone not doing their job.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

There is certainly potential. Have to remember Ferrell and Abram are rookies, they will have to adjust. And hopefully Hurst, Hall, Key all take big steps in year 2. By 2020, they could be rounding into a nice unit. 

LB is still going to be an issue. 3 guys that lack in coverage is a problem. 

Think how weird it will be if we ever get to a point where we dont have to say that next to last sentence. 

• Like 1

I don’t think having super stars is entirely necessary to be an elite defense. Some of the best defenses have above average guys play well. I think with the exception of the linebackers the raiders have solid players throughout their defense. A solid defense mixed with an above average offense can make this team go and be playoff bound. Not this season but maybe next. 

I think this will be a solid defense, PG is the best DC weve had in a looooong time. We saw huge improvement last season. Now he will have actual NFL level talent/speed on that side of the ball. We will have bumps in bruises as rookies get acclimated and vets get used to the new system, but I think this could be a well rounded unit. If guys like Key, Hurst and Hall can step up that will be a huge plus. If we can get production opposite of Ferrell we can be on to something.

add a MLB high in next years draft and this might be a real unit. 

2 hours ago, Chali21 said:

I don’t think having super stars is entirely necessary to be an elite defense. Some of the best defenses have above average guys play well. I think with the exception of the linebackers the raiders have solid players throughout their defense. A solid defense mixed with an above average offense can make this team go and be playoff bound. Not this season but maybe next. 

You're describing New England and not many else. NE has a rare "do your job" culture that can maximize players abilities. The top defense almost always have star talent. 

IMO, the best defenses have star level (probowl) talent at all 3 levels. Dline, LB and secondary. 

4 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Imagine if we begged beast mode for one more year 

- drafted Ed Oliver @4 

- drafted Sweaf @24 

Why would you want to draft Oliver at 4 when you said White was the best player in the draft?

Edited by SBXISBXVSBXVIII
  • Like 2

On 4/30/2019 at 3:40 AM, big_palooka said:

I said the same in NFl gen. Next year we need to look for players to "bring it together". I'm thinking 2 more defensive picks (DL/LB/DB), unless we get a fantastic WR to fall to us (one of Jeudy/Shenault/Higgins/Lamb).

On 4/30/2019 at 2:43 PM, Chali21 said:

New England Patriots comes to mind