Raiders Defense

Rolni

5 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I said the same in NFl gen. Next year we need to look for players to "bring it together". I'm thinking 2 more defensive picks (DL/LB/DB), unless we get a fantastic WR to fall to us (one of Jeudy/Shenault/Higgins/Lamb).

We need Chase Young next year. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I said the same in NFl gen. Next year we need to look for players to "bring it together". I'm thinking 2 more defensive picks (DL/LB/DB), unless we get a fantastic WR to fall to us (one of Jeudy/Shenault/Higgins/Lamb).

I already think Higgins is going to be one of my highest ranked WR prospects in the past 5 years. Hes so smooth, has ridiculous hands, good size, and speed. Don't see many negatives. And hes in for a big year with Lawrence being there and likely taking a big step. 

2019 Defense

DE: Mauro (weak) atleast he good against the run

UT: Hurst

NT: Hankins

DE: Ferrell 

WLB: Whitehead

MLB: Marshall 

SLB: Vontaze

CB1: Conely

CB2: Worely

CB3: Mullens

FS: Joyner

SS: Abram 

defense doesn't look so bad. they need to really get that chemistry together, no stars but alot of solid starters 

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

2019 Defense

DE: Mauro (weak) atleast he good against the run

UT: Hurst

NT: Hankins

DE: Ferrell 

WLB: Whitehead

MLB: Marshall 

SLB: Vontaze

CB1: Conely

CB2: Worely

CB3: Mullens

FS: Joyner

SS: Abram 

defense doesn't look so bad. they need to really get that chemistry together, no stars but alot of solid starters 

Mayowa will easily start over Mauro. Mayowa is actually a decent end. Not a bad player. Not someone you want starting every game, but he's not terrible either considering what we're working with.

• Like 1

I think in our scheme Mayowa is not a starter. I think PG will use the Mauro-Ferrell base pair and will pull Mauro out when the pass attack begins and replace him with Mayowa, Key and/or Crosby to bring in speed to the edge.

It worth noting IMO that Mauro played 4 years under Buckner and started 26 games out of 47 and he was picked up a lot sooner then Mayowa this offseason. I think they want to use him like Frostee last year. Be that edge setter LDE early on and on short yardage situation.

Ferrell can play the base RDE role and then shift over to LDE when the "speed" guys sub in to RDE.

Mayowa seems like a solid addition as a rotational DE and the timing of his signing makes me think how much has Arden Key showed to PG and Co. in this offseason? I mean why not address the issue sooner? They were waiting on Key to show up ready and it didn't really happened, so they went out and grabbed Mayowa?

Arden Key's rookie year was pretty bad. I get that there were no quality guys around him, but still he sucked on his own. I mean he wasn't double teamed, because he was the best rusher we had...he was a non factor.

He might jump in year 2, with a full offseason, with the rookie experience and also with a limited role (he was gassed last year), but I wouldn't bank on him stepping up big time for us.

PG told reporters that Hurst, Hall and Key looked good when reporting in for the after draft workouts, so we can all hope he can be usefull. Also PG told reporters, that now we will be able to use Key the way they wanted from the start. Rusher on passing downs...he said that they just wanted some muscle on him from his rookie year, they don't really want him too big around 270, because he "looked like a slug" at LSU with that weight. I imagine he will be around 245-250 and be a situational pass rusher. If all goes well, he can be the first guy off the bench when Mauro comes out, if not Mayowa will be that guy and Key will sink...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mr Raider said:

I already think Higgins is going to be one of my highest ranked WR prospects in the past 5 years. Hes so smooth, has ridiculous hands, good size, and speed. Don't see many negatives. And hes in for a big year with Lawrence being there and likely taking a big step. 

He's from Clemson, so we know Mayock will be interested. 

Higgins, Jeudy, Ruggs III, Lamb, Shenault - Hope the Raiders are all over this group. AB will be in year 2 of his contract at 32. Nice to have someone coming up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

He's from Clemson, so we know Mayock will be interested. 

Higgins, Jeudy, Ruggs III, Lamb, Shenault - Hope the Raiders are all over this group. AB will be in year 2 of his contract at 32. Nice to have someone coming up.

Tee Higgins and Chase Young would erase all memories of Cooper and Mack. 

9 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Key and Ferrell are going to have to play really well or we'll be one of the worst pass rushing teams in the league again next year.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Will need 2 top 10 picks for that to happen is my guess. Hope the Bears tank ala the 2017 - 2018 Jags.

Unfortunately, if we're picking in the top 10 again next year we're almost certainly going to take a quarterback. 

13 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Mayowa will easily start over Mauro. Mayowa is actually a decent end. Not a bad player. Not someone you want starting every game, but he's not terrible either considering what we're working with.

This is where competition comes in.

DE2, CB2 and 3, SF1 and 2, all the LB positions are fluid at the moment imo.

17 hours ago, Rolni said:

I think in our scheme Mayowa is not a starter. I think PG will use the Mauro-Ferrell base pair and will pull Mauro out when the pass attack begins and replace him with Mayowa, Key and/or Crosby to bring in speed to the edge.

It worth noting IMO that Mauro played 4 years under Buckner and started 26 games out of 47 and he was picked up a lot sooner then Mayowa this offseason. I think they want to use him like Frostee last year. Be that edge setter LDE early on and on short yardage situation.

Ferrell can play the base RDE role and then shift over to LDE when the "speed" guys sub in to RDE.

Mayowa seems like a solid addition as a rotational DE and the timing of his signing makes me think how much has Arden Key showed to PG and Co. in this offseason? I mean why not address the issue sooner? They were waiting on Key to show up ready and it didn't really happened, so they went out and grabbed Mayowa?

Arden Key's rookie year was pretty bad. I get that there were no quality guys around him, but still he sucked on his own. I mean he wasn't double teamed, because he was the best rusher we had...he was a non factor.

He might jump in year 2, with a full offseason, with the rookie experience and also with a limited role (he was gassed last year), but I wouldn't bank on him stepping up big time for us.

PG told reporters that Hurst, Hall and Key looked good when reporting in for the after draft workouts, so we can all hope he can be usefull. Also PG told reporters, that now we will be able to use Key the way they wanted from the start. Rusher on passing downs...he said that they just wanted some muscle on him from his rookie year, they don't really want him too big around 270, because he "looked like a slug" at LSU with that weight. I imagine he will be around 245-250 and be a situational pass rusher. If all goes well, he can be the first guy off the bench when Mauro comes out, if not Mayowa will be that guy and Key will sink...

I agree Mauro will start just do to the fact he is good against the run and setting the edge.. Mayowa prolly get more snaps