Raiders Defense

Rolni

Been a good while since i've been on here. Like the new look. The Obi news absolutely sucks. Then again he is a project player. Reggie cant seem to land anyone from the second round that can actually stay healthy. I'm not hating but it is a trend. Mario Edwards Jr. just now coming into the season healthy he stayed injured his first two years, Menelik Watson even though he is gone now he was injury prone and from the 2nd round also, it seems like outside of Derek Carr he hasn't been able to really do much with our 2nd round picks. I hope this trend gets broken and like i seen someone else say I hope Obi is designated to come back some time during the season. Just dont get me started on the Jihad Ward pick, i still dont like that one at all.

So we picked up a guy from the canadian football league?  Luani is actually going have a big role early in the year.. Hope the kid is ready.. I thought Xavier Woodson looked decent in preseason.. alot of youth, just hope someone mans up and handles the MLB spot... I think we will get burned early on defense, but the unit can get better

Just look at the starters:

Leo- Mack, all world

BaseEnd- Edwards, needs to come back from his injuries but has shown to be a force

DT- Eddie Vanderdoes, I actually think highly of him. He should be a solid player once he gets adjusted to the NFL

NT- Justin Ellis, contract year. came into camp in the best shape possibly, and this will be make or break year

Weakside- Corey James- strong preseason, may thrive in new role. I see the potential.

Middle- Marquel Lee, not sure if he is ready. Will get a shot

Strongside- Bruce Irvin is a stud

Corner- Amerson steady corner who benefits with a legit pass rush

Corner- Conely, hopefully the kid is starting by week 4. Might as well develop him

FS- Nelson, just need him to be average. could be a weakspot but is a savvy vet who has a knack for making plays

SS- Joseph, needs to improve coverage, but is a beast against the run....

Sure the defense might have a few weak spots, but I see alot of potential in the unit. Just not much depth. 

12 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Anyone think Bruce Irvin can be a 10 sack guy? He was almost as impressive as Mack down the stretch of last year. 

He gets sacks in bunches. There were a lot of games where he was a non factor. I say probably not. Would rather him play his position and cover TEs anyway.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

So we picked up a guy from the canadian football league?  Luani is actually going have a big role early in the year.. Hope the kid is ready.. I thought Xavier Woodson looked decent in preseason.. alot of youth, just hope someone mans up and handles the MLB spot... I think we will get burned early on defense, but the unit can get better

Just look at the starters:

Leo- Mack, all world

BaseEnd- Edwards, needs to come back from his injuries but has shown to be a force

DT- Eddie Vanderdoes, I actually think highly of him. He should be a solid player once he gets adjusted to the NFL

NT- Justin Ellis, contract year. came into camp in the best shape possibly, and this will be make or break year

Weakside- Corey James- strong preseason, may thrive in new role. I see the potential.

Middle- Marquel Lee, not sure if he is ready. Will get a shot

Strongside- Bruce Irvin is a stud

Corner- Amerson steady corner who benefits with a legit pass rush

Corner- Conely, hopefully the kid is starting by week 4. Might as well develop him

FS- Nelson, just need him to be average. could be a weakspot but is a savvy vet who has a knack for making plays

SS- Joseph, needs to improve coverage, but is a beast against the run....

Sure the defense might have a few weak spots, but I see alot of potential in the unit. Just not much depth. 

As you say we have lots of potential. If it weren't for a luckluster pre-season showing I would be really pumped with this starting unit.

After the pre-season I'm a bit skeptical...I just hope we were vanilla with playcalling, scheming and keeping the best for the regular season.

I hope Pagano's packages and actual gameplanning help a lot...hopefully JDR just wanted to give away a bad impression to gain advantage for the early part of the regular season :)

Some interesting names on this initial depth chart release:

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2017/9/5/16256424/raiders-release-week-1-depth-chart

We still notate the D as a 4-3 with Ward and Autry as backup ends and Cowser at backup SLB. I know these are usually not wholly accurate and maybe even sometimes deliberately unclear.

Also noted that Luani is shown behind McGill?!?!?! You would think he'd be the primary 3rd safety especially after all he's shown in pre-season.......

6 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Honestly, this defense has the talent to be around average, if not better, but if we can't communicate and allow big plays against the run and pass in the next few weeks, someone will be on the hot seat if the offense doesn't clean up.

Honestly, we're weak in too many spots. Irvin and Mack are a very good duo on the edges but Vanderdoes is a rookie, Ellis has been nothing more than a rotational NT in his career and MEJ is a question mark. The ILBs are unproven. The front 7 isn't scaring anyone at this point. Everybody's going to gameplan to limit Mack and dare the rest of the unit to make a play.

On 05/09/2017 at 0:21 PM, Rolni said:

I think we are basically already playing that as our base. The only difference is that we call Mack a DE not an OLB. He plays both of those positions...

Our base is a 5-2 in reality, which can be 3-4 or 4-3 with Mack standing up or going down in the dirt.

We will use our EDGE guys and the DL to contain the run and generate some pressure.

Lee/Adams and James will be the off ball LB's and will play pretty much like 3-4 ILB's IMO.

As you said and as we saw in pre-season we will use Obi/Morrow as nickel LB next to James and we will use the Irvin, Mack DE tandem with the Edwards, Eddie, Ward, Autry, Latham interior rotation.

I also hope that we will use more man on the outside and with S help over the top.

Last year we started to play lot more cover 4, which was another step from the Seattle principles. Right now this D scheme is not a Seattle copy IMO. 

Totally agree.