Raiders Defense

Rolni

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I think you'd be pretty close there, I think Worley probably starts at CB and the 3 safeties might interchange and we'll be in Nickel a decent amount so we'll have Joseph, Joyner and Abram on the field at the same time quite a bit. I'm a fan of Joseph so think he will probably start ahead of the rookie but they'll all 3 work together pretty well I think.

The DL will be an interesting one, news filtering through from TC appears to be favouring Mauro and Hankins at the moment. Hall, Ellis, Mayowa, Crosby and key all vying for serious playing time. I think we'll see a heavily rotated line when the season actually starts due to no player being head and shoulders above the rest.

I actually really like our safety group with Eric Harris, LaMarcus Joyner, Johnathan Abram, and Karl Joseph. I expect that we'll see those 4 rotating a lot and moved all around the field. Joyner is likely going to be in the slot a lot of the time too. I think Abram definitely starts this year though, everyone has been raving about him in camp, he'll set the tone in the run game, and he should be better covering TE. 

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I actually really like our safety group with Eric Harris, LaMarcus Joyner, Johnathan Abram, and Karl Joseph. I expect that we'll see those 4 rotating a lot and moved all around the field. Joyner is likely going to be in the slot a lot of the time too. I think Abram definitely starts this year though, everyone has been raving about him in camp, he'll set the tone in the run game, and he should be better covering TE. 

I think Abram can play dime LB as well if we wanna mix it up and run Joyner a bit at safety with Joseph on passing downs. He may be asked to do that in situations.

20 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think Abram can play dime LB as well if we wanna mix it up and run Joyner a bit at safety with Joseph on passing downs. He may be asked to do that in situations.

I could see us having all four of our safeties on the field in certain passing situations. 

Slot CB: Joyner

Dime LB: Abram

SS: Joseph

FS: Harris 

• Like 1

Some nuggets based on the first unofficial DC:

Jelly and Hankins seems to be the starting DT duo. I think it is more that they are the vets and Mo has to earn it type stuff...with that said it wouldn't be a huge shock if these two end up being the base DT duo...it seems that they really want to stop the run, to get some 2nd/3rd and long situations...the question is whether if it is the right method in this new age NFL...

Tahir is the SLB and Marshall is the WLB...this would be logical based on their skillset, however Tahir was the WLB last year and so far this offseason everyone talked about BMarsh as the SLB with Tahir at WLB...we will see I guess...

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

Some nuggets based on the first unofficial DC:

Jelly and Hankins seems to be the starting DT duo. I think it is more that they are the vets and Mo has to earn it type stuff...with that said it wouldn't be a huge shock if these two end up being the base DT duo...it seems that they really want to stop the run, to get some 2nd/3rd and long situations...the question is whether if it is the right method in this new age NFL...

Tahir is the SLB and Marshall is the WLB...this would be logical based on their skillset, however Tahir was the WLB last year and so far this offseason everyone talked about BMarsh as the SLB with Tahir at WLB...we will see I guess...

I've read Jelly and Hankins came in in terrific shape. Hankins can push the pocket from the interior. He's not just a run stuffer. 

Regardless, the Dline is going to be heavily rotated. Hurst will most likely be the guy on passing downs.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I've read Jelly and Hankins came in in terrific shape. Hankins can push the pocket from the interior. He's not just a run stuffer. 

Regardless, the Dline is going to be heavily rotated. Hurst will most likely be the guy on passing downs.

Yup. Vic has said that we're going to rotate Hurst/Hall inside a lot and Key/Crosby/Mayowa on the edge a lot, plus Ferrell is going to slide inside on passing downs too. I'm hopeful that we'll be able to keep our DL fresh all game with constant rotations so that guys like Hall/Hurst aren't worn out at the end of games and as the season progresses. 

Another constant theme that you've heard with all of the guys in interviews is that it starts with the run defense. One of Buckner's emphasizes for them is that they have to focus on being run stoppers first and then worry about the pass rush. If we can stop the run early, then we can force longer passing downs, and our DL will have more time to get after the QB. 

20 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Hankins has 12 sacks in 6 season...one year he had 7, but that's it...he is not a pass rusher, but he sure can push the pocket a little with force.

Rotation will be key and it really looks like we wanna be a stout run D on early downs and build on that on the late downs...this could be a good strategy, however more and more teams pass on first down nowdays...I just hope we won't come out and try to play early 2000's D in 2019...

48 minutes ago, Rolni said:
21 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Hankins has 12 sacks in 6 season...one year he had 7, but that's it...he is not a pass rusher, but he sure can push the pocket a little with force.

Rotation will be key and it really looks like we wanna be a stout run D on early downs and build on that on the late downs...this could be a good strategy, however more and more teams pass on first down nowdays...I just hope we won't come out and try to play early 2000's D in 2019...

What was the story with Hankins? Had a stellar couple years with the Giants I believe and then signed a big contract with the Colts before becoming something of an afterthought.......how did he go from being a bright young thing to a guy we picked up after the first game of the season for very little and with very little fanfare? 

6 hours ago, Rolni said:

Gruden has regularly praised him this offseason and said that he has been our most improved player. Hell, he's currently listed as a starter over Mo Hurst. 

6 hours ago, Darbsk said:

What was the story with Hankins? Had a stellar couple years with the Giants I believe and then signed a big contract with the Colts before becoming something of an afterthought.......how did he go from being a bright young thing to a guy we picked up after the first game of the season for very little and with very little fanfare? 

He wanted more money than anyone was willing to pay him when he hit free agency both times.  I think he's finally settled in to realizing his own worth.

22 hours ago, Darbsk said:

The Giants paid Snacks and JPP, so they let him walk. The Colts gave him almost 10M/year what was his desired money reportedly. Then they cut him when the new DC came to town and they did the switch from 3-4 ot 4-3. Eberflus likes his DT's smaller and quicker, he uses Dencio Autry as a DT, so Hankins was too big there, he would have been a 2 down NT and I guess Ballard&Co. decided that 9M is too rich for that.

After that he wanted 10M/yr again and was willing to wait...then he was willing to sign for less, but he wanted a 4-3 team and the right situation. He felt we were that team last year and played solid for us. He reportedly had offers after last season (the Broncos were on him hard), but decided to stay. I thought that he will be the starting NT for us, but he might end up being the starting DT next to Jelly (NT). I think the focus on early downs will be the run D and that pair in the middle should be rock solid. Mauro-Jelly-Hankins-Ferrell should be among the better 4DL lines against the run. My only fear is that opposing teams will counter us and pass on early down against this run DL...I can't really see a quality pass rush from that quartett, but hopefully Hankins and Ferrell can surprise me and others :) 

I expect us to use a heavy rotation on the DL, so the starting/back up title means less here...it will be interesting to see the snap counts tho...last year our DL finished like this:

Key  644 D snaps , 62,6% of the total defensive snaps

Hankins 573 D snaps , 55,7% of the tot def snaps

Rucker 550 D snaps , 53,5% of the tot D snaps

Hall 511 D s , 49,7% of tot

McDonald 419 , 40,8%

Hurst 472 , 45,9%

Irvin 250 , 24,3%

Brown 175 , 17%

Ellis 133 , 12,9%

Ellis was obviously injured for a good part of the season and played 20+% of the D snaps after he returned, while Irvin was out after a few weeks.

These numbers suggest to me that Hankins was not only used as a NT last year and he had the conditioning to play the most snaps among the interior DLs. 

I think we can again expect around 50-55% from him and that 45-50% from Hall and Hurst could be realistic too IMO. Jelly with a 20-25% as a NT should be good IMO. 

Ferrell should be our most used DL player IMO, while Key, Mauro, Mayowa and Crosby will rotate heavily at DE IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

The Giants paid Snacks and JPP, so they let him walk. The Colts gave him almost 10M/year what was his desired money reportedly. Then they cut him when the new DC came to town and they did the switch from 3-4 ot 4-3. Eberflus likes his DT's smaller and quicker, he uses Dencio Autry as a DT, so Hankins was too big there, he would have been a 2 down NT and I guess Ballard&Co. decided that 9M is too rich for that.

After that he wanted 10M/yr again and was willing to wait...then he was willing to sign for less, but he wanted a 4-3 team and the right situation. He felt we were that team last year and played solid for us. He reportedly had offers after last season (the Broncos were on him hard), but decided to stay. I thought that he will be the starting NT for us, but he might end up being the starting DT next to Jelly (NT). I think the focus on early downs will be the run D and that pair in the middle should be rock solid. Mauro-Jelly-Hankins-Ferrell should be among the better 4DL lines against the run. My only fear is that opposing teams will counter us and pass on early down against this run DL...I can't really see a quality pass rush from that quartett, but hopefully Hankins and Ferrell can surprise me and others :) 

Excellent, thanks for the comprehensive update on Hankins. I knew he'd had a good couple of seasons then mysteriously gone under the radar, sounds like we were in the right place at the right time. I do like Ellis too however and prior to getting injured last year he looked to me like he'd lost a good 15 to 20 lbs of fat and was moving very well for a big guy.

I too share the nervousness about having a very stout front in order to stop the run and then being countered on early downs when teams pass a lot more against us. Hall is a guy I'm pretty exited about and with a little seasoning I see Hankins and Hall as guys who could both potentially play on run or pass downs so very useful when disguising our intentions. I'm not convinced that Ferrell as a rookie will be great moving inside in say, a Nickel or Dime D. I'd rather we use Hurst and Hall there with maybe a rotation of Ferrell, Key, Mayowa and Crosby on the outside. Vanderdoes if he ever gets fit could be a good penetrator in the inside I feel in a rotation too. I'd probably keep more DL on the roster than usual specifically for us to use a heavy rotation, I can see us keeping around 10 DL guys. 

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Excellent, thanks for the comprehensive update on Hankins. I knew he'd had a good couple of seasons then mysteriously gone under the radar, sounds like we were in the right place at the right time. I do like Ellis too however and prior to getting injured last year he looked to me like he'd lost a good 15 to 20 lbs of fat and was moving very well for a big guy.

I too share the nervousness about having a very stout front in order to stop the run and then being countered on early downs when teams pass a lot more against us. Hall is a guy I'm pretty exited about and with a little seasoning I see Hankins and Hall as guys who could both potentially play on run or pass downs so very useful when disguising our intentions. I'm not convinced that Ferrell as a rookie will be great moving inside in say, a Nickel or Dime D. I'd rather we use Hurst and Hall there with maybe a rotation of Ferrell, Key, Mayowa and Crosby on the outside. Vanderdoes if he ever gets fit could be a good penetrator in the inside I feel in a rotation too. I'd probably keep more DL on the roster than usual specifically for us to use a heavy rotation, I can see us keeping around 10 DL guys. 

With Hurst and Hall on roster I think we won't need to use Ferrell inside...I would let him on the outside and let him develope

2 hours ago, Rolni said:

With Hurst and Hall on roster I think we won't need to use Ferrell inside...I would let him on the outside and let him develope

We're already giving him looks there in camp to get out 4 best pass rushers on the field together. 

I'm assuming it'll be something like: Key - Ferrell - Hurst - Mayowa/Crosby

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

We're already giving him looks there in camp to get out 4 best pass rushers on the field together. 

I'm assuming it'll be something like: Key - Ferrell - Hurst - Mayowa/Crosby

Agreed. Mayowa has developed into a decent rusher. 4 sacks and some solid pressure in limited time in Arizona last year. Will be interesting to see how our young front develops.