Raiders Defense

Rolni

5 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Honestly, we're weak in too many spots. Irvin and Mack are a very good duo on the edges but Vanderdoes is a rookie, Ellis has been nothing more than a rotational NT in his career and MEJ is a question mark. The ILBs are unproven. The front 7 isn't scaring anyone at this point. Everybody's going to gameplan to limit Mack and dare the rest of the unit to make a play.

MEJ has played average to very well when he's been on the field. Every member in our starting secondary has had years of good play, there needs to be consistency and communication. We have one of the best sets of edge rushers in the NFL too.

I cant see why the talent isnt there to be AVERAGE.

4 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

MEJ has played average to very well when he's been on the field. Every member in our starting secondary has had years of good play, there needs to be consistency and communication. We have one of the best sets of edge rushers in the NFL too.

I cant see why the talent isnt there to be AVERAGE.

Because ATM the talent hasn't gelled yet and many are young. Yes, Mack, Irvin, Nelson, KaJo, Smith, Amerson, and Edwards will make plays but we also will have Vanderdoes, James, Conley, Lee, Ward, Adams, Hester and Obi that will all be taking snaps and they are young and will make mistakes and those mistakes will lead to big plays and converted 3rd downs. It's gonna be a process to get everyone together and up to speed on just the basic reads and sets because the amount of time missed before, in and after camp in the preseason. It's gonna take time...If you're not ready to be patient than be ready to tear your hair out.

34 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Because ATM the talent hasn't gelled yet and many are young. Yes, Mack, Irvin, Nelson, KaJo, Smith, Amerson, and Edwards will make plays but we also will have Vanderdoes, James, Conley, Lee, Ward, Adams, Hester and Obi that will all be taking snaps and they are young and will make mistakes and those mistakes will lead to big plays and converted 3rd downs. It's gonna be a process to get everyone together and up to speed on just the basic reads and sets because the amount of time missed before, in and after camp in the preseason. It's gonna take time...If you're not ready to be patient than be ready to tear your hair out.

If this team finishes as a bottom 5 defense, I will tear my hair out. I've seen plenty of defenses go from bottom 10 to top 10 in one year. I'm not even suggesting that needs to happen. I just want to see it be respectable, which may be a stretch at this point. 

The extreme youth movement is concerning to me as well, as we went out of our way to bolster the offense with proven vets, but were unable to find any defensive ones in our "price range"? Just seems a bit questionable to me. I hope it works, but I'm skeptical at this point. Especially with Conley sidelined.

6 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If this team finishes as a bottom 5 defense, I will tear my hair out. I've seen plenty of defenses go from bottom 10 to top 10 in one year. I'm not even suggesting that needs to happen. I just want to see it be respectable, which may be a stretch at this point. 

The extreme youth movement is concerning to me as well, as we went out of our way to bolster the offense with proven vets, but were unable to find any defensive ones in our "price range"? Just seems a bit questionable to me. I hope it works, but I'm skeptical at this point. Especially with Conley sidelined.

If we draft/sign a top notch DT/NT and both G. Conley and O. Melifonwu pan out, we definitely have a chance at being a top 10 defense by next year.  I'm alright with that.

8 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think it's less we were unable to find any and more we planned to build the defense through the draft and with young moldable player that are cheap for a good amount of time and we can develop how we want. Only had a few visits and the guys that did visit signed other place for less or about the same money. That says tht they either weren't a fit for what we wanted to do or the role we had in mind for them wasn't what they wanted.

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

If we draft/sign a top notch DT/NT and both G. Conley and O. Melifonwu pan out, we definitely have a chance at being a top 10 defense by next year.  I'm alright with that.

I think you've gotta add at LEAST top 15 ILB play to that list. If we consistently trought out a bottom 3 signal caller of the defense, I don't think we can count on a big improvement like that. It doesn't have to be a big strength or a pro bowler but it can't be a massive liability like last year. 

19 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

I think you've gotta add at LEAST top 15 ILB play to that list. If we consistently trought out a bottom 3 signal caller of the defense, I don't think we can count on a big improvement like that. It doesn't have to be a big strength or a pro bowler but it can't be a massive liability like last year. 

Soooo...Riley was a massive liability.

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Soooo...Riley was a massive liability.

In the 11 games he played? No but overall I'd say the play we got from or ILB's was. Riley came in and played admirably but I think we overstate how good we really was because we wanted to cling to any semblance of decency at that position. There is a reason he is not resigned anywhere and the season starts tonight. 

10 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm 99% sure we won't bring him in, but I'd love Lamarr Houston back. Him and Mario can do similar things in terms of being a big end. We've invested too much in youth on the interior to do it, but I'd love to see him back in the Silver and Black on a buy low 1 year deal.

Yeah i wouldnt mind that either. Probably not nearly as explosive as he was, but his versatility would be a plus.

Vic Tafur basically shot it down on twitter though

Next year's free agent corner group is very good. Considering we can cut Smith and save 10 million, these are some damn good options:

Johnson, Vontae Davis, Amukamara, Grimes, Joseph, Claiborne, Kyle Fuller, Phillip Gaines, Bashaud Breeland, EJ Gaines.

I think the bolded are guys we'll seriously pursue and are young enough to have some good years left.

I think we draft a LB very early next year along with another offensive tackle. LB is very thin in free agency.

Ellis has looked good at NT in the preseason and has slimmed down so don't discount him breaking out/signing long term.

At DT, if we do take a look, Lotuelei, Easley, and Timmy Jernigan are the guys I'd look for.

I think it's possible that the defense could be good NEXT year if we can add some of the above and the young guys develop. Quite a ways away though, just sharing some thoughts. Though I've been pretty decent at predicting Raiders in FA so I"ll give myself a mini back pat ;) .

1 hour ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

In the 11 games he played? No but overall I'd say the play we got from or ILB's was. Riley came in and played admirably but I think we overstate how good we really was because we wanted to cling to any semblance of decency at that position. There is a reason he is not resigned anywhere and the season starts tonight. 

There is a BIG difference in between what you just said and a massive liability. All I'm saying.

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

There is a BIG difference in between what you just said and a massive liability. All I'm saying.

Okay, I will do my very best to choose my words more carefully next time I post. 

End of the day, my point is the same. Our MLB play must be significantly better if we want to make the jump that the OP suggested.