Raiders Defense

Rolni

The more I think about it the more I agree with @oakdb36 and @Mr Raider

I've been pounding the table for Yannick Ngokue this offseason but it doesn't make much sense anymore. Ferrell will get every chance to succeed as any top pick would. And Maxx has earned a shot to prove himself so far. Granted there is more time left this year and things could change. The rooks have largely feasted on backups but they can't help that. I'd be ok going into next year with the same exact group at DE. Cle, Maxx, Mayowa, Mauro, and Jordan. Seems like a well-rounded group if we can make the money work with the vets

Definitely could use more interior pressure or an off ball LB though. Littleton has probably become my (and many others as I've read here) top target for us in FA. Would be sweet to land him and draft Brown in the first along with a WR. Might be wishful thinking though.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I've been pounding the table for Yannick Ngokue this offseason but it doesn't make much sense anymore. Ferrell will get every chance to succeed as any top pick would. And Maxx has earned a shot to prove himself so far. Granted there is more time left this year and things could change. The rooks have largely feasted on backups but they can't help that. I'd be ok going into next year with the same exact group at DE. Cle, Maxx, Mayowa, Mauro, and Jordan. Seems like a well-rounded group if we can make the money work with the vets

Definitely could use more interior pressure or an off ball LB though. Littleton has probably become my (and many others as I've read here) top target for us in FA. Would be sweet to land him and draft Brown in the first along with a WR. Might be wishful thinking though.

I'm starting to agree as well. Although I'd probably replace Mauro with Key and be happy with that group. I haven't been overly impressed by Hurst or Hall this season. Isaiah Simmons with the Bears pick and Javon Kinlaw with our own pick would fix a ton of problems for our defense. 

• Like 2

I hear you guys!

One part of me is totally with you on this.

Ferrell was 1\4, so he gets at least one more year as the starter after this one, where he is a rookie starter from day 1. Obviously we all hope that he will finish this year strong and makes a jump for year 2. He played the 3rd most snaps for us even with the sickness, missed game.

Crosby is already a starter for us since week 9 as a 4th rounder rookie and not only that but he plays the vast majority of the D snaps. He played the most snaps by any DL this year for us.

They have some sacks, but both of them had one game so far, where they boosted those sack numbers. All in all they are far from a proven and dangerous tandem. We can expect a big jump in year 2, since DL is historically a hard position for rookies, since both of them have great work ethic and mental makeup.

With that said there is a sad part in me, who watched this team for more then a decade now, who is anxious to put this much faith in two year 2 players...What is they pull a Hurst-Hall trick? Where they show promise and potential in year 1, but fail to make big enough jump in year 2...we then will have 2 solid, but not quality starters at DE with some rotational guys, which obviously wouldn't cut it and our pass rush would still be an issue, which would result a struggling D overall again...

With that said I would be down with the Ferrell, Crosby duo with Mayowa, Mauro, Key and Jordan plus a few phisical freak young guys for competition, IF we make a serious improvement to the 3tech DT spot!!

In this scheme I think we can easily live with this DE group if we find a true impact UT. Hurst doesn't seem to be a quality starter so far IMO.

Get an impact DT from FA after we brought back our vet DE's and let them work!

15 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Same. But you might be right. Don't break the bank and let the young guys come up. I'm cautiously optimistic after the last couple games, but want to see how they finish before going all in on not adding a marquee pass rusher

Adding a DT could help them as well which is why it's my number the number 1 need going into the draft. If anything add a guy like Beasley on a 1 year deal as a situational pass rusher.

15 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

LB has got to improve and seems like we are all in on Littleton. 

Rare to see such agreeance lately. Add DT, WR, LB early and most will be happy.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 7:20 AM, big_palooka said:

Adding a DT could help them as well which is why it's my number the number 1 need going into the draft. If anything add a guy like Beasley on a 1 year deal as a situational pass rusher.

LB has got to improve and seems like we are all in on Littleton. 

PJ Hall and Mo Hurst have been one of the most disappointing aspects of our team this year. I thought that Hurst was due for a breakout year where he'd solidify himself as our starting 3T going forward. 

Can you imagine adding Littleton and Isaiah Simmons this offseason? I'd cream myself. 

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

PJ Hall and Mo Hurst have been one of the most disappointing aspects of our team this year. I thought that Hurst was due for a breakout year where he'd solidify himself as our starting 3T going forward. 

Can you imagine adding Littleton and Isaiah Simmons this offseason? I'd cream myself. 

I know its highly unlikely but if Chris Jones is a Free Agent I wouldn't give him Donald money but right below that. I also would look at Armstead if available. And Leo if the Giants let him walk.

Hurst has let me down big time and I would relegate him to 4th DT. PJ Hall is coming along like a nice 3rd DT. He can play next to Hankins or spell Hankins, he is growing on me a lot. Was majorly down on him coming into the season.

Edited by OG_C2X

10 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Mo hasn't played bad this year. I saw in Ted's breakdown, he had some nice pressures and got close to sacks. Give him time. Sometimes the big jump comes in the 3rd year. He's on a rookie deal after all. I wouldn't pass up any elite/very good DT prospects though just because we have Hurst/Hall.

I think you're close to how most feel here, we were expecting a big jump from both Hall and Hurst and whilst they've been decent and not liabilities I think we all expected a little more. Agree that we shouldnt pass up legitimate talent if it falls in our lap 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I think you're close to how most feel here, we were expecting a big jump from both Hall and Hurst and whilst they've been decent and not liabilities I think we all expected a little more. Agree that we shouldnt pass up legitimate talent if it falls in our lap 

Javon Kinlaw could be a player. I think @NYRaider also mentioned him somewhere but I can't remember

We can talk all we want about edge, tackle, corner, safety, but it is clear again and again this linebacking corps is just awful. Whitehead is our premier player and he looks pedestrian at best compared to Kirk Morrison, who was pedestrian at best. Just horrid. Morrow has no idea what he is doing most plays. Compton does not belong on the field. Who else do we trot out there? I also do not expect P. Brown to add much seeing as how he cannot cover. Yeesh, overhaul and modernize the LB corps already. 

Much free agency and draft capital thrown at this, please.. So bad..

This is incomprehensible. They're not getting forward on any runs. So if our tackles or edge don't take care of it near the LOS, it's a safety doing it past 5 yards. And they're not getting across or back on any passes, so it's either sack, PD, INT, or corner/S makes the tackle downfield. Essentially, the feel I'm getting nearly every play is that we have a 2 level defense. 3rd central level does nothing. Just stunned, standing in place every play. 

Edited by holyghost
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Javon Kinlaw could be a player. I think @NYRaider also mentioned him somewhere but I can't remember

My plan to fix the defense. Someone forward this to Mayock. 

Free Agency

• Sign Marcus Peters (3 yr/$33M)

• Sign Cory Littleton (4 yr/$40M) 

Draft

• 10th - Isaiah Simmons, LB, Clemson

• 78th - Brandon Jones, S, Texas

• 81st - Darrell Taylor, Edge, Tennessee

• 92nd - Troy Dye, LB, Oregon 

DE - Crosby 

3T - Hurst

NT - Hankins

DE - Ferrell 

OLB - Simmons

MLB - Littleton

OLB - Dye

CB - Mullen 

CB - Peters

S - Abram

S - Jones

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

My plan to fix the defense. Someone forward this to Mayock. 

Free Agency

• Sign Marcus Peters (3 yr/$33M)

• Sign Cory Littleton (4 yr/$40M) 

Draft

• 10th - Isaiah Simmons, LB, Clemson

• 78th - Brandon Jones, S, Texas

• 81st - Darrell Taylor, Edge, Tennessee

• 92nd - Troy Dye, LB, Oregon 

DE - Crosby 

3T - Hurst

NT - Hankins

DE - Ferrell 

OLB - Simmons

MLB - Littleton

OLB - Dye

CB - Mullen 

CB - Peters

S - Abram

S - Jones

Where’s our other 1st rounder?

1 minute ago, Justwinning said:

Where’s our other 1st rounder?

Lamb/Jeudy/Ruggs, obvi

I think giving Hurst and PJ one more year could work out. But if it doesn't, gotta move one from the worse DT of the 2. I like the idea of Littleton or Simmons. Both is fine but I'd love to get one of them for sure. So sick of having LBs that not only aren't good but in fact suck

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Justwinning said:

I think Littleton will get more than that. Last year off-ball LBs got PAID. I guess it remains to be seen if that will become a trend.

Pay him what he needs to be paid and draft Simmons. With those two guys in the mix we'd solve a ton of problems that have plagued our defense for years.