Raiders Defense

Rolni

Just now, raidr4life said:

If Lee can be something at SLB I would target Littleton in FA and draft Kenneth Murray with one of our 1st round picks.

I feel like he should be able to hack it. He has the size. Strength. Mobility. And can stack and shed. Hasn't put it all together yet but he would come off the field in passing downs. Plus he could be MLB depth.

1 hour ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I feel like he should be able to hack it. He has the size. Strength. Mobility. And can stack and shed. Hasn't put it all together yet but he would come off the field in passing downs. Plus he could be MLB depth.

I really wanted to see Lee this year.  Hope he can get on the field to see if we need to go in another direction or not.

• Like 1

One guy who has been a letdown has been Maurice Hurst. He flashed as a rookie, and really thought he was first round talent who dropped in the 5th due to his heart. He has had a great game or two this year, but I thought he would take the next step and be a force/pro bowl Grady Jarrett type. He has made a few plays but now I think he is more of a decent depth guy. PJ Hall has played better in 2019. I see UT as a big need now, since Hurst hasn’t taken the next step. I think this DLine still needs two new starters

DE & DT(penetrating one) 

Edited by Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

One guy who has been a letdown has been Maurice Hurst. He flashed as a rookie, and really thought he was first round talent who dropped in the 5th due to his heart. He has had a great game or two this year, but I thought he would take the next step and be a force/pro bowl Grady Jarrett type. He has made a few plays but now I think he is more of a decent depth guy. PJ Hall has played better in 2019. I see UT as a big need now, since Hurst hasn’t taken the next step. I think this DLine still needs two new starters

DE & DT(penetrating one) 

Jarrett really broke out in his 3rd season. I don't know if they plan to expand Hurst's role going forward but this season he's limited to a pass rushing role.

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

For this defense to be worth a darn, bare minimum needed to actually compete 

- DE

- UT

- WLB

- MLB

- CB

- Abram back with Joseph on new deal 

if we let Joseph walk, we need another safety. Harris is okay, but more of a great 3rd safety 

Actually, you don't need that much to compete. You need a DT and a LB who can get sideline to sideline. That alone will give this defense a shot in the arm. The secondary is fine, just needs help upfront. DE is fine if you have an interior player who helps them as well as the LBs free up. 

They are not as far off as you are making them. They just need a difference making player at LB and DT. Abram or Mullen could be that guy on the back end.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Actually, you don't need that much to compete. You need a DT and a LB who can get sideline to sideline. That alone will give this defense a shot in the arm. The secondary is fine, just needs help upfront. DE is fine if you have an interior player who helps them as well as the LBs free up. 

They are not as far off as you are making them. They just need a difference making player at LB and DT. Abram or Mullen could be that guy on the back end.

our LBS are the worst in the league. really need at least 2 NFL starting linebackers.  Vontaze looked so good compared to everyone else, and he isn't even an all pro. 

Just now, oakdb36 said:

Whitehead is just average and Morrow isn't starting material. I don't know if we keep Whitehead or just bring 3 new starters. But I tend towards keeping Whitehead to ease the transition into the scheme of the new players around him.

yeah I could see him back as a 3rd LB who see less snaps next year. More like SLB who can play MLB in a pinch. Don't think he has the speed for WLB, he is on the last year of his contract. I would bring him back since he is a leader. Still want 2 other starting LBs brought in 

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

Whitehead is just average and Morrow isn't starting material. I don't know if we keep Whitehead or just bring 3 new starters. But I tend towards keeping Whitehead to ease the transition into the scheme of the new players around him.

This. He's got the green dot. And one year left on his deal. He can be SLB for one last year. Vet who is respected in the locker room and knows the system. But in no way should start. I still think Morrow has potential but I don't think he's a legit starter any time soon. He needs to be relegated back to rotating in on passing downs only. And if he still has lapses, maybe not on the 53 next year depending on our other options at LB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Unrelated but are we putting Jordan at 3T so we don't have to move Cle inside? Because...

No. It's that NASCAR front. Jordan is doing what Guenther had Key doing on 3rd downs. Cle isn't in on most 3rd downs. It's usually:

Maxx---Hurst---Jordan---Mayowa

15 minutes ago, reddevil said:

No. It's that NASCAR front. Jordan is doing what Guenther had Key doing on 3rd downs. Cle isn't in on most 3rd downs. It's usually:

Maxx---Hurst---Jordan---Mayowa

Ahhhh that makes sense. I know he's a rookie but its depressing he can't be in that lineup over those guys. They bragged they wouldn't need to take him off the field, remember? Again, he's a rookie and everything that comes with that but...just...he's a 4th overall pick. Hopefully he pans out the way they envision because if he doesn't, yikes.

17 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Ahhhh that makes sense. I know he's a rookie but its depressing he can't be in that lineup over those guys. They bragged they wouldn't need to take him off the field, remember? Again, he's a rookie and everything that comes with that but...just...he's a 4th overall pick. Hopefully he pans out the way they envision because if he doesn't, yikes.

My issue with the pick was that Mayock said "he's the guy" and that they would take him wherever their first pick was. I think we just got unlucky that QW and Bosa were both gone. That was my biggest issue, winning that useless Az game. I feel like his length and power will be more effective once he has time in an NFL weight program. Crosby is just a freak. I have no idea how he's been so impactful as a rookie. His last 6 or 7 games, his pressure rate has been Mack-like.

• Like 1