Raiders Defense

Rolni

37 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He needs an offseason to pick up those sorta things. I'm super torn on adding a DE in the draft. Also depends on how Mayowa and Jordan finish out.

Well we need to see Jordan at DE still. I feel like he's mostly been in the Nascar subpackage to make things easier on him as he doesn't fully know our playbook yet

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I do not see Joseph getting a big contract and I believe if we make him a priority before FA starts we could re-sign him at a discount.  Him and Abram next to each other will make a great combo.  Just stop trying to get him to cover 6'6" TEs.

I think Joseph/Harris/Abram is a great trio of guys to have. I do like the idea of using Worley as a "hybrid" to cover TE's, but we need a new slot corner and outside CB. I'm not sure how the defensive backfield will shake out. I think we draft a CB with a top 100 pick and consider signing Byron Jones or Peters.

21 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think Joseph/Harris/Abram is a great trio of guys to have. I do like the idea of using Worley as a "hybrid" to cover TE's, but we need a new slot corner and outside CB. I'm not sure how the defensive backfield will shake out. I think we draft a CB with a top 100 pick and consider signing Byron Jones or Peters.

I'm not sold on Worley at FS. I'd much prefer to get a real one if that's the alternative. Idk if any safety or LB on the roster is capable of being able to hold their own vs Kelce outside of a play or 2. 

1 hour ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I'm not sold on Worley at FS. I'd much prefer to get a real one if that's the alternative. Idk if any safety or LB on the roster is capable of being able to hold their own vs Kelce outside of a play or 2. 

Yeah DB is a fluid position. It's not terrible, but I want to add a few guys. I like a lot of draftable prospects and the FA pool is decent. Peters, Darby, Apple just to name a few good looking targets. If we resign Worley, add one of them, and then draft a versatile DB , we'd be in business.

9 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah DB is a fluid position. It's not terrible, but I want to add a few guys. I like a lot of draftable prospects and the FA pool is decent. Peters, Darby, Apple just to name a few good looking targets. If we resign Worley, add one of them, and then draft a versatile DB , we'd be in business.

Minkah would've been a great move but Joyner basically plays the same position 😒

On 28/11/2019 at 8:06 PM, Silver&Black88 said:

Well we need to see Jordan at DE still. I feel like he's mostly been in the Nascar subpackage to make things easier on him as he doesn't fully know our playbook yet

If they finish out decently, I hope we keep them both and continue giving the primary reps to Ferrell and Crosby. This D needs some continuity, and it definitely isn't happening at DB (outside of the S's) and shouldn't happen at LB. 

I'll give Jordan more leeway given how late he signed, but I feel like he and Mayowa make perfect rotational players who could easily combine for double digit sacks given time in the system next year. It would open up so much capital for us to address other needs on both sides of the ball to be able to mostly stand pat 2 deep at either end position.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Apple got absolutely roasted against the Falcons last week, even with a great pass rush he just doesn't seem to have improved at all. Peters may be playing himself into a very large contract too......

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Apple got absolutely roasted against the Falcons last week, even with a great pass rush he just doesn't seem to have improved at all. Peters may be playing himself into a very large contract too......

He's played pretty well overall since getting traded to New Orleans. Everyone has bad games. Our guys certainly have.

Peters is someone who I don't think will demand more than 10-12 a year because of prior inconsistencies. If he does, of course we can pass. But at 10-12, his playmaking ability is worth it.

Oh, I agree totally on Peters if he’s able to be had for a reasonable value. Been lucky enough to watch the Saints play 3 or 4 times this season and Apple is a PI call waiting to happen, either that or he gets burned. That’s with a very good corner opposite him, a great pass rush and two very good safeties to help him. Leads the league in PI calls I believe and he would be an absolute liability for us IMHO. 

• Like 1

Peters scares me, he’s been on 3 teams in 2 years. A guy that young and talented being so disposable is concerning. Very talented but I don’t believe he fits in with what we are trying to build here as far as character is concerned. 

• Like 1

Raiders have two players they can build around. Crosby and Mullen and hopefully a third in Abrams. Rest of the defense is filled in players that are replaceable. This years FA is going to be very important for this defense. Adding draft picks on the defense side is needed, but it needs some key FA additions so it can be competitive. 

Edited by agarcia34
  • Like 1