Raiders Defense

Rolni

53 minutes ago, holyghost said:

I don't think you can bring him back as anything more than a backup and/or someone to groom as a linebacker coach. If he is the starter it is just an utterly idiotic move. To do the same thing that burned this team horribly, again.

Sure, starters and depth take time (to drfrey). But this team has utterly and arrogantly ignored the position for years now. It's enough already, from Del Rio and McKenzie to Gruden, going back to Al and so on. I watch this team weekly and I swear it's as if we don't even have linebackers on the field. If the line doesn't stop a run, it's a guaranteed 5-10 yarder. They are never making a play in coverage, burned constantly. The only one of them that makes some plays is Morrow, but his angles and tackling are so bad that he never actually finishes the play he is in position for. And that can't make up for his terrible lapses which cost us points and games numerous times. Every week he makes a game changing bad play or more than one. And he is our best linebacker - think about that. Every one of them, if you are intent on having a good defense, are not fit for more than 5 snaps a game. If they're getting more than that, you no longer have a good defense.

Well yea, that’s what I meant, competition/depth/groomer, not to be the man. 

11 hours ago, G said:

DC is too nice and needs that throat stomping mentality to get the love around here.

You nailed it! Carr is too nice! That’s why we tried to bring in nasty mean MOFOs in Incognito and Burfict to be the alpha, “bad” guys.  I think we need a James Harrison type leader on D and one more on offense to be our co-leader with Carr.  Great teams almost always have those tough bad azz leaders who are the soul of the team.   If Carr can finally use his legs and run when it’s there, even if it’s just enough to keep D’s honest.  I think Jacobs can be one of those leaders and “soul” of the team guys, he showed great toughness playing through the shoulder injury,,, but we need one more on Offense.

What do people think of Marquel Lee.  I know it’s hard to judge Him given the mess our D is and he’s coming back into the season so late, but I part hope and part think he can be a spot starter or contributor for us next year.  Since D’s mainly play 4-2-5, Nickle i think we could draft a LB (Isaiah Simmons) in round 1 and sign a FA like Schobert, Littleton, etc and be set at LB.  Then draft a guy in the mid rounds or sign a backup LB for depth/ST to round out the unit.

simmons-will

schobert/Littleton- mike

lee- Sam

plus morrow, Compton (resigned), and a drafted player like Troy Dye, Francis Bernard, Jordan Broom, Evan Weaver, Jacob Phillips, Monty Rice, Chazz Surratt or sign someone like Joe Thomas (Dal) or  Jatavis Brown (LAC), etc.

The run defense was dominating today. Our DL group is fine, though we could potentially upgrade from Mayowa, or add an interior prospect. Robert quinn is a good name.

I think we really need to consider signing a CB in FA to go with Mullen, considering the staff wants to keep Joyner in the slot (puke). Kristian Fulton is a CB I'd target in the draft if LB are gone as well.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Gary Oldman...The BEST and not so followed by the stalkaratzi's. I actually don't recognize what movie that is. LOL

Another LB is a major need. CB a need. S would be a good idea and vet DE/DT couldn't hurt so EVERYONE is needed still. LOL

Edited by G

Nick will be our MLB most probably and we still try to get Littleton to play WLB according to reports, which sounds great IMO.

Maliek Collins could be that DL we need/get with the Marinelli connection.

Chris Harris Jr. seems to be the target at CB, which could make sense, however I would be interested in a guy like Dennard.

At S I would try to get A.Harris on that tag for a mid rounder if we can agree on a contract with his agent prior.

Seems too rich of a list...

Ok so we’ve got our MLB and captain of the defence, this is what I would do (not necessarily what I think the FO will do).

Bring back Joseph and move Joyner back to safety, with Abram and Harris we’d have a strong rotation there and be able to field 3 starter quality safeties regularly.

I would look to bring in a strong slot CB to replace Joyner such as Chris Harris who I feel has a few years left and can be a great locker room prescence.

Bring in a FA UT to add some penetration, I’d like Gerald McCoy but he may want more than we’d like to offer, if he prices himself out a guy like Jernigan could be very good in a rotation. Shelby Harris could be a good option too.

Id look to bring back Jordan and Mayowa as rotational pass rushers but unlikely we get both so I’d add a guy like Zettel who can play the run solid or just bring back Mauro who was solid.

CB I’d look to trade up into the second and take a guy like Jaylon Johnson, I’d also look to add a value vet CB like a TJ Carrie to compete and add versatility.

Id look to add a SLB too in the mid rounds like Davis Gaither. I can see us taking a WR at 12 and that is probably what I would do if Jeudy or Lamb are there so at 19 I’m probably looking at BPA which may be a guy like Queen or Murray.

This would give us:

DE - Crosby, Jordan
DT - Hankins, Hall
DT - McCoy, Hurst
DE - Ferrell, Zettel
SLB - Queen, Morrow
MLB - Kwiatkowski, Compton
WLB - Lee, Davis-Gaither
CB - Mullen, I Johnson, Carrie
CB - J Johnson, Lawson
NCB - Harris, Nixon
FS - Joyner, Harris
SS - Abram, Joseph

It’s still a year away probably but much better depth and we have loads of options with the safeties and LBs, we’d also be able to add a WR1 and depth at RB too in the draft to fill those holes. I’d probably look to add a rotational DTin the tail end of the draft, maybe a small school guy or a guy with athletic upside that we can try and mould.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Ok so we’ve got our MLB and captain of the defence, this is what I would do (not necessarily what I think the FO will do).

Bring back Joseph and move Joyner back to safety, with Abram and Harris we’d have a strong rotation there and be able to field 3 starter quality safeties regularly.

I would look to bring in a strong slot CB to replace Joyner such as Chris Harris who I feel has a few years left and can be a great locker room prescence.

Bring in a FA UT to add some penetration, I’d like Gerald McCoy but he may want more than we’d like to offer, if he prices himself out a guy like Jernigan could be very good in a rotation. Shelby Harris could be a good option too.

Id look to bring back Jordan and Mayowa as rotational pass rushers but unlikely we get both so I’d add a guy like Zettel who can play the run solid or just bring back Mauro who was solid.

CB I’d look to trade up into the second and take a guy like Jaylon Johnson, I’d also look to add a value vet CB like a TJ Carrie to compete and add versatility.

Id look to add a SLB too in the mid rounds like Davis Gaither. I can see us taking a WR at 12 and that is probably what I would do if Jeudy or Lamb are there so at 19 I’m probably looking at BPA which may be a guy like Queen or Murray.

This would give us:

DE - Crosby, Jordan
DT - Hankins, Hall
DT - McCoy, Hurst
DE - Ferrell, Zettel
SLB - Queen, Morrow
WLB - Lee, Davis-Gaither
CB - J Johnson, Lawson
NCB - Harris, Nixon
FS - Joyner, Harris
SS - Abram, Joseph

It’s still a year away probably but much better depth and we have loads of options with the safeties and LBs, we’d also be able to add a WR1 and depth at RB too in the draft to fill those holes. I’d probably look to add a rotational DTin the tail end of the draft, maybe a small school guy or a guy with athletic upside that we can try and mould.

Good looking mock, but things got even better with Littleton in the mix. I still think we make a run at Randall (pretty good single high, lots of picks) and CHJ.

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

This would give us:

DE - Crosby, Jordan
DT - Hankins, Hall
DT - McCoy, Hurst
DE - Ferrell, Zettel
SLB - Queen, Morrow
WLB - Lee, Davis-Gaither
CB - J Johnson, Lawson
NCB - Harris, Nixon
FS - Joyner, Harris
SS - Abram, Joseph

What moves would you make to fit this all in? I feel like adding and bringing back these guys would not fit under the cap.

22 minutes ago, Justwinning said:

What moves would you make to fit this all in? I feel like adding and bringing back these guys would not fit under the cap.

Well, it was before we got Littleton so his money would have gone to a guy like Harris which only leaves the DT as a major signee. Im guessing McCoy would get around 12 per year at his age, maybe a little less for Shelby or Jernigan  which leaves I believe around 20 mil for the rookies and Joseph, Zettel, Carrie and Compton. Maybe I'm missing someone out here but that seems about right to me. Obviously, I haven't gone into the cap numbers exactly so do please correct me if I'm way out. If necessary Id cut a few guys like Zay Jones, Carrier, Kizer, Peterman and bring in rookies and UDFAs to replace their limited production.

Kwiatkoski and Littleton just made our LB core the best in long long year instantly.

We still have M.Lee (contract) and N.Morrow (tender) on roster next to them and some young guys. With that said we need to add some LB's still preffereable in the draft and UDFA round.

Collins and Nassib looks to form our DL group nicely. Collins most probably is the main 3tech DT, but there will be a heavy rotation with Hurst IMO. Hall needs to really step up, cause Gruden called him out, then they added a young starter. He needs to work hard or they will get a late rounder NT instead of him.
Nassib should be a base DE with Ferrrell and then give space to Crosby and Key as rushers. The rotation will be heavy at DE too.

CB and S are still somewhat weak and this front 7 won't carry them, we won't have that great of a pass rush IMO.

We need a quality outside CB at least FA or high draft and we also need a quality S IMO, since both Harris and Heath are more ST and rotational guys, while Abram is a rookie basically...

We have multiple picks in the 3rd, 4th...lets make a move or two...Slay, A.Harris...

3 minutes ago, Rolni said:

Kwiatkoski and Littleton just made our LB core the best in long long year instantly.

We still have M.Lee (contract) and N.Morrow (tender) on roster next to them and some young guys. With that said we need to add some LB's still preffereable in the draft and UDFA round.

Collins and Nassib looks to form our DL group nicely. Collins most probably is the main 3tech DT, but there will be a heavy rotation with Hurst IMO. Hall needs to really step up, cause Gruden called him out, then they added a young starter. He needs to work hard or they will get a late rounder NT instead of him.
Nassib should be a base DE with Ferrrell and then give space to Crosby and Key as rushers. The rotation will be heavy at DE too.

CB and S are still somewhat weak and this front 7 won't carry them, we won't have that great of a pass rush IMO.

We need a quality outside CB at least FA or high draft and we also need a quality S IMO, since both Harris and Heath are more ST and rotational guys, while Abram is a rookie basically...

We have multiple picks in the 3rd, 4th...lets make a move or two...Slay, A.Harris...

Agree with most of this, however one thing I’m not in favour of is starting Nassib and Ferrell and demoting Crosby to a pass rushing role (If I’m reading that correctly). I thought Crosby improved considerably throughout the year, especially in run defence, setting the edge, using leverage and holding the point of attack and by years end looked to be our best DL player with the potential for much more. It’s early for a few guys of course but Crosby looks to have the making of our only real force on that DL and I’d keep the Condor in there as much as possible whilst spelling Ferrel if anything.