Raiders Defense

Rolni

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

The Titans play action was causing the D to take some missteps in the beginning also.

It was mainly those 2 designed QB runs by Mariota. Both very good play designs by the Titans.

The first Mack on the edge and Carrie in the slot both bit hard on the run fake and Joesph behind them follows Walker on a fake wheel route leaving a big lane for the QB run.

The next was the TD run by Mariota. Great blocking and Cowser biting on the edge made it an easy score.

A few things to take away from these plays were that the Titans used our excitement to stop the run against us on both plays as both were set up with previous plays with similar formation that were actual runs. Also the two plays were to separate side of the defense so it's not like they were exploiting something over and over that we couldn't adjust to.

Next to not is that after Cowser bit on that fake he didn't see the field again on defense except for one play after Irvin's penalty.

And lastly, we didn't have any issues with these type of plays in the 2nd half so you know we focused on that on the sidelines. Good thing is that we are learning from this stuff and adjusting.

Catching up on the All-22 today and there are certainly some interesting changes this season. Smith seems to be the outside nickel corner with Carrie moving to the slot against 3-receiver sets. Dime looks against 4-receiver sets had Smith line up against Walker when in man coverage. In the 2nd half, Smith was kept outside in nickel and dime in every situation and I suppose it was a reason why Walker was able to run free through the linebacker's zones.

Speaking of the linebackers, they were one of the more interesting aspects of the day. Corey James was in the most, but there was definitely a platoon-style approach to the group. In the first half it was mostly James and Lee and in the second half it was Adams and Morrow. I suppose as the opponent goes more pass heavy, the unit changes? That said, they didn't do a great job checking Walker over the middle. Something to watch.

44 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

That is yet to be seen and I doubt that is correct. I think a healthy Ward is still very much in the plans for this defense.

Who's he gonna play over though? Mario and Vanderdoes have clearly supplanted him. He might rotate in, but I doubt he's gonna get starter snaps unless he shows huge improvement over last year. I doubt he's gonna develop on the job like he had the opportunity to do last year.

Edited by MrOaktown_56

9 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Who's he gonna play over though? Mario and Vanderdoes have clearly supplanted him. He might rotate in, but I doubt he's gonna get starter snaps.

SMH at the bolded. I never said anything about starter snaps. You're the one trying to quantify his playing time after one good game without him. I think he slides into the rotation as he recovers and if, after he is right, he is outplayed then the snaps will be doled out accordingly.

31 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

SMH at the bolded. I never said anything about starter snaps. You're the one trying to quantify his playing time after one good game without him. I think he slides into the rotation as he recovers and if, after he is right, he is outplayed then the snaps will be doled out accordingly.

When you said "in the plans", I assumed some kind of significant role. 

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

It was mainly those 2 designed QB runs by Mariota. Both very good play designs by the Titans.

The first Mack on the edge and Carrie in the slot both bit hard on the run fake and Joesph behind them follows Walker on a fake wheel route leaving a big lane for the QB run.

The next was the TD run by Mariota. Great blocking and Cowser biting on the edge made it an easy score.

A few things to take away from these plays were that the Titans used our excitement to stop the run against us on both plays as both were set up with previous plays with similar formation that were actual runs. Also the two plays were to separate side of the defense so it's not like they were exploiting something over and over that we couldn't adjust to.

Next to not is that after Cowser bit on that fake he didn't see the field again on defense except for one play after Irvin's penalty.

And lastly, we didn't have any issues with these type of plays in the 2nd half so you know we focused on that on the sidelines. Good thing is that we are learning from this stuff and adjusting.

They adjusted and it worked.  There was not much that I did not like about this game.  We could have capitalized on a couple turnover opportunities and Smith sticking to Walker would have been ideal but we were very good overall.

41 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

When you said "in the plans", I assumed some kind of significant role. 

If all the dlinemen, besides Mack, are getting around 25-35 snaps, which was what it was last game, and once Ward is healthy he gets the same, then yes, I guess your assumption is correct. That is what I expect from him as I think he is in the plans still.

15 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Catching up on the All-22 today and there are certainly some interesting changes this season. Smith seems to be the outside nickel corner with Carrie moving to the slot against 3-receiver sets. Dime looks against 4-receiver sets had Smith line up against Walker when in man coverage. In the 2nd half, Smith was kept outside in nickel and dime in every situation and I suppose it was a reason why Walker was able to run free through the linebacker's zones.

Speaking of the linebackers, they were one of the more interesting aspects of the day. Corey James was in the most, but there was definitely a platoon-style approach to the group. In the first half it was mostly James and Lee and in the second half it was Adams and Morrow. I suppose as the opponent goes more pass heavy, the unit changes? That said, they didn't do a great job checking Walker over the middle. Something to watch.

Something else I noticed is the playcalling being much more zone-heavy than last year. This was something I was calling for before the season to help hide some of the warts in the secondary. The Raiders were definitely bend but don't break on Sunday. While guys weren't disrupting receivers at the line, there were so few missed tackles on the back end the Titans' offense was forced to execute on a down in, down out basis.

As much praise he gets nationally, Mariota played right into the Raiders plans most of the game. He's very by the book and doesn't seem to punish the defense for playing zone. He also wasn't very accurate on Sunday.

As others have noted, the defensive line play was much improved from last year. The trio of Ellis, Vanderdoes, and Edwards won early. Khalil Mack had one of the best games I can remember from him. There were instances when it seemed like the three interior lineman would shift away from mack to dare the Titans to run his way, making the offense more predictable. I know he's getting a lot of early love and buzz, but the Tulane kid (forget his name) didn't particularly stand out. He was often paired with Autry in obvious passing downs. I didn't see Latham in even once; is he hurt?

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

I know he's getting a lot of early love and buzz, but the Tulane kid (forget his name) didn't particularly stand out. He was often paired with Autry in obvious passing downs. I didn't see Latham in even once; is he hurt?

They went with the Tulane kid and Latham was a healthy scratch. 

3 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I know he's getting a lot of early love and buzz, but the Tulane kid (forget his name) didn't particularly stand out. He was often paired with Autry in obvious passing downs. I didn't see Latham in even once; is he hurt?

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

They went with the Tulane kid and Latham was a healthy scratch. 

His name is Treyvon Hester and he went to Toledo.

Rich7 re: Autry and Hester - I've noticed some of our sub packages which seem to be predominantly rotational players on the front. I'd posted something during preseason about it. I think there was a goal line play where Autry lined up next to Hester and we just got walked over. It's one thing I don't like that I've seen quite a lot over the last few years. I'd rather we brought in rotational players one at a time, rather than all in one go. I think Autry is a decent player next to Mack and Edwards but put him next to Hester and Cowser and it spells trouble. I'd like our coaches to be a bit more careful with how they rotate these guys in. Minor gripe though!

34 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Rich7 re: Autry and Hester - I've noticed some of our sub packages which seem to be predominantly rotational players on the front. I'd posted something during preseason about it. I think there was a goal line play where Autry lined up next to Hester and we just got walked over. It's one thing I don't like that I've seen quite a lot over the last few years. I'd rather we brought in rotational players one at a time, rather than all in one go. I think Autry is a decent player next to Mack and Edwards but put him next to Hester and Cowser and it spells trouble. I'd like our coaches to be a bit more careful with how they rotate these guys in. Minor gripe though!

I get the gripe.

To maybe explain it alittle. Autry Cowser and Hester came in as part of the secondary nickel front. Meaning they are the nickel front when Irvin/Mack and Edwards and Vanderdoes need a breather. It just happened to be that we were in the redzone when they were in. I'm not saying that they couldn't be subbed out piece meal was we got down there but that it why they were in.

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

I get the gripe.

To maybe explain it alittle. Autry Cowser and Hester came in as part of the secondary nickel front. Meaning they are the nickel front when Irvin/Mack and Edwards and Vanderdoes need a breather. It just happened to be that we were in the redzone when they were in. I'm not saying that they couldn't be subbed out piece meal was we got down there but that it why they were in.

I can see that it might crop up every now and again that everyone looks gassed and to bring in multiple replacements, but would think it could be planned around. I do like our depth up front and in many ways I feel less concerned about the impact having all the 'lesser' players out there and more that it reduces their individual impact to come in fresh and do their job with the 1st teamers. For example I like Cowser as a rotation pass rusher but his impact is going to be less if he doesn't have Mack, Edwards and Vanderdoes taking up blocks and giving him a chance to pin his ears back. Same goes for Autry, Hester and when Ward comes in.

Im sure though as the season goes on there will be ample opportunities to see these guys get chances.