Raiders Defense

Rolni

Though it's exciting to possibly have our 1st round CB getting fit and ready to play, we should definitely be realistic in our expectations IMO. Yes, he's got good hands and is a sticky man cover corner but there are areas of his game that need development and CB is one of the hardest transitions for a rookie, expecting him to come in and all of a sudden be the difference maker that raises the secondary into a great unit is probably not the surest bet. Can he make a positive impact? Absolutely, yes, but I feel we should temper expectations a little and not be too surprised if he is a little inconsistent. I'd hate for him to be rushed in and take a pile of criticism if he doesn't look like a top class corner fresh out the box...........

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Though it's exciting to possibly have our 1st round CB getting fit and ready to play, we should definitely be realistic in our expectations IMO. Yes, he's got good hands and is a sticky man cover corner but there are areas of his game that need development and CB is one of the hardest transitions for a rookie, expecting him to come in and all of a sudden be the difference maker that raises the secondary into a great unit is probably not the surest bet. Can he make a positive impact? Absolutely, yes, but I feel we should temper expectations a little and not be too surprised if he is a little inconsistent. I'd hate for him to be rushed in and take a pile of criticism if he doesn't look like a top class corner fresh out the box...........

Exactly this. I'm completely cool if he continues to sits out or only has very limited snaps until the bye week. I don't want to see what happened to Hayden happen to Gareon. Hayden clearly wasn't ready and was forced in because the defense was struggling. I think it ruined his confidence and he ended up having a mind set of "try not to mess up" instead of the "you can't beat me" attitude the best CBs have. 

The guy barely participated in the offseason and for right now should probably only be on the field in man to man dime situations. I don't remember if he played much zone in college, but out of the base set last week we were running A LOT of zone. I doubt he has a grasp on that yet and he would probably be a liability in those situations right now. Bottom line is, unless the defense does a total flip from what they showed last week, we will be fine bringing Conley along slowly.

6 minutes ago, raiders4life said:

Exactly this. I'm completely cool if he continues to sits out or only has very limited snaps until the bye week. I don't want to see what happened to Hayden happen to Gareon. Hayden clearly wasn't ready and was forced in because the defense was struggling. I think it ruined his confidence and he ended up having a mind set of "try not to mess up" instead of the "you can't beat me" attitude the best CBs have. 

The guy barely participated in the offseason and for right now should probably only be on the field in man to man dime situations. I don't remember if he played much zone in college, but out of the base set last week we were running A LOT of zone. I doubt he has a grasp on that yet and he would probably be a liability in those situations right now. Bottom line is, unless the defense does a total flip from what they showed last week, we will be fine bringing Conley along slowly.

I don't think we can compare Hayden and Conley at all. Conley is as pro ready for a corner prospect as it gets. He played zone pretty well and has good instincts. He can do it all. He will make mistakes, but we gotta get him serious snaps sooner or later.

23 minutes ago, raiders4life said:

Seriously... this fan base is all sorts of something lately. Comparing Conley, a standout high school prospect and later leader on one of the nations best defenses to Hayden is ridiculous. Conley was a top 10 pick, day 1 starter. He's expected to come in and go. You're not going to shake his confidence. He's not DJ Hayden. Hayden was an athlete with no ball skills. Conley is a the exact opposite. He's a gamer and has been on the big stage. 

Let's stop trying to 'bubble wrap' rookies and let them do what they do. Worrying about Conley's confidence is hilarious. Dude is a technician and all around gamer. 

Cant wait for GC to get on the field, dude is so smooth, hes the real deal. I'm interested to see how he shakes things up. Vs a spread, 3 WRs or more sets, id like to see Conley move inside to guard the shiftier guys, and keep Sean Smith on the boundary where he can match up with the bigger guys hes more suitable to play against. Its important to play to our rosters strength and put players in a position to succeed.

I'm fine with bringing him along slow but that's mostly from a health point of view.  No need to force him in too soon.  Smith and Carrie are good enough to get by with (emphasis on get by rather than continue with).  McDonald can play CB4.   I just want Conley confirmed healthy.  I'm not worried about it though -- the staff will be safe.  He should be fine in coverage confidence wise.....unless we play him in press man lol

19 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I'm fine with bringing him along slow but that's mostly from a health point of view.  No need to force him in too soon.  Smith and Carrie are good enough to get by with (emphasis on get by rather than continue with).  McDonald can play CB4.   I just want Conley confirmed healthy.  I'm not worried about it though -- the staff will be safe.  He should be fine in coverage confidence wise.....unless we play him in press man lol

This, no need to rush him. Looking forward to seeing him play though. 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Seriously... this fan base is all sorts of something lately. Comparing Conley, a standout high school prospect and later leader on one of the nations best defenses to Hayden is ridiculous. Conley was a top 10 pick, day 1 starter. He's expected to come in and go. You're not going to shake his confidence. He's not DJ Hayden. Hayden was an athlete with no ball skills. Conley is a the exact opposite. He's a gamer and has been on the big stage. 

Let's stop trying to 'bubble wrap' rookies and let them do what they do. Worrying about Conley's confidence is hilarious. Dude is a technician and all around gamer. 

Conley wasn't close to a consensus top 10 pick even before the rape allegations. I also wouldn't consider him a slam dunk, day one starter. Also, Conley tested out as a better athlete than Hayden (although I believe the only test we had for Hayden was his 40).

I'm an advocate for bringing Conley on slow. I think he should rotate exclusively on the outside in early down roles because, as of last year's college tape, he's a bad tackler, lacks physicality, and few corners are ready from day one to handle the slot (unless in zone). With the current starters being Carrie and Amerson, I could see Conley come in for either of those two in base, or Smith in nickel, in obvious passing situations. I'd have to think he'd come in for McDonald in dime.

Conley has the athleticism, instincts, and is polished enough to take on most team's #2/#3 receivers in man or zone coverage by season's end.

4 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Conley was imo a 15-20 range player.  I think @Rich7sena is spot on throughout that whole post.  And its fine.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  Let the guy develop naturally.

He was a 15-20 guy, but only because he doesn't use his hands well and tackle. In terms of physical profile and coverage ability/smoothness, he's a top 10 caliber player. Seeing as we're looking for guys to cover on 3rd down and be smooth in man coverage against shifty receivers, Conley "feels" like a top 10 guy for a team who sorely needs him. He'll be a #1 corner sooner than later. I haven't been as high on a corner prospect with the exception of Marshon Lattimore (injury issues) since Marcus Peters.

I expect Conely to barely play if play at all this week. Dude's missed too much this offseason and miscommunication has been a big reason for the defenses problems. How well does he know the calls or hand signals? Is he up to speed with what pagano is trying to install? I would rather not see too much of him if he's not there mentally and practice makes perfect.