Raiders Defense

Rolni

3 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

At this time Hurst is the only player worth building around on the Dline. I was critical of Hurst, but he has really raised up and played well. His snap count was more then what Collins had yesterday. 

Going into next year I think you have to understand that Ferrell is nothing more then depth and should be looking for two new starting pass rushers cause Maxx might just be better off as a situational pass rusher. 

Hmmmm, not sure Hurst is the guy. Hankins and Crosby I would say are better players but I don't think we have a single keystone type player anywhere on D. We did have but we traded him 😁😁

9 minutes ago, Jerry said:

What do you guys think of bringing in Wade Philips?  He seems to be a pretty good DC from what I can recall.

Love Phillips, he got the best out of Joyner and Littleton. But he's old now and if we transitioned to a 3-4 we'd basically have to rebuild our entire front 7. 

3 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Hmmmm, not sure Hurst is the guy. Hankins and Crosby I would say are better players but I don't think we have a single keystone type player anywhere on D. We did have but we traded him 😁😁

And even in the 4 years he was here our defense gave up 361 yards, 25 points, and only averaged 29 sacks per year. Last season we gave up 354 yards, 26 points, and had 32 sacks. 

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

And even in the 4 years he was here our defense gave up 361 yards, 25 points, and only averaged 29 sacks per year. Last season we gave up 354 yards, 26 points, and had 32 sacks. 

So are you saying he wouldn't make a difference? He would probably make a 100% increase in our sacks and 150% in our pressures plus make every other player more effective in my humble opinion. 

5 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

So are you saying he wouldn't make a difference? He would probably make a 100% increase in our sacks and 150% in our pressures plus make every other player more effective in my humble opinion. 

He would definitely make a difference but his presence alone isn't enough to go from horrible to even average.

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

It sounds dumb, but I'd want a guy like Pagano back. He did a lot of stuff with disguise and stunts that I really liked.

Otherwise, maybe we should try to poach someone from the 49ers/Ravens or another excellent defensive team?

I want us to hire Kris Richard. He developed the LOB in Seattle, was a good DC there, then helped Byron Jones become an elite CB and was the defensive play caller for the Cowboys the last two seasons. 

In 5 years as a DC/Defensive play caller his defenses have averaged: 317 ypg, 19.3 ppg, 39 sacks, 21 takeaways. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

It sounds dumb, but I'd want a guy like Pagano back. He did a lot of stuff with disguise and stunts that I really liked.

Otherwise, maybe we should try to poach someone from the 49ers/Ravens or another excellent defensive team?

I agree with this.  I never understand why the Raiders don't go after more defensive position coaches that make other defenses so great.  If there is a team that's getting 50 sacks we should interview their defensive line coach.  Or best pass defense in the NFL, interview their defensive backs coach.  Obviously they're doing something right.  We need to move on from Guenther and our DL coach seems like a shaky replacement with the way the DL is playing.  I feel like Crosby regressed.  He played the screen really well last year and now it seems like our entire DL is always fooled on those screen plays. Its irritating.  At this point they should know that if their guy is letting them get after the QB then its probably a screen.

Edited by Jerry

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He would definitely make a difference but his presence alone isn't enough to go from horrible to even average.

Well no, that's why he'd be a keystone to build around. Trouble is we have none that I can see right now, maybe Mullen but you dont usually build round a corner.......

32 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Well no, that's why he'd be a keystone to build around. Trouble is we have none that I can see right now, maybe Mullen but you dont usually build round a corner.......

We need some pass rushers and LBs that can play.  We need a better DC.  We need to keep going heavy in bringing in talent to the defense.  We need a DC that can get them ready to be a top 10 unit faster than 2-3 seasons (Guenther).

8 minutes ago, Jerry said:

We need some pass rushers and LBs that can play.  We need a better DC.  We need to keep going heavy in bringing in talent to the defense.  We need a DC that can get them ready to be a top 10 unit faster than 2-3 seasons (Guenther).

We invest high picks on Dbs. We need to invest on the DLine until we get it right. Game is won in the trenches 

23 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Dating back to 1990 we've only spent 6 first round picks on defensive linemen. I thought Littleton played his best game of the season yesterday, was fast to the ball, didn't miss any tackles, was solid in coverage. Kwit is currently PFF's 11th highest graded LB FWIW.

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1