Raiders Defense

Rolni

6 hours ago, roi34 said:
6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The Broncos only offered Simmons like $12.5M/yr and he declined their offer so they can't even negotiate with him until the offseason. I'd offer him a 4 yr/$58M deal on the first day of free agency. 

him and abrams with our young cbs all heck yeah! 

add a stud DT and LB and we starting to get somewhere

Aren't there a couple really good draft prospects at FS this year too we could look into? We have some options and it looks like we can target a few specific positions. 

Just now, Darbsk said:

Aren't there a couple really good draft prospects at FS this year too we could look into? We have some options and it looks like we can target a few specific positions. 

Ar'Darius Washington and Andre Cisco are my two favorite FS prospects. Washington is a ball hawk with great range, above average man cover skills, and also thrives in run support but he's really small at 5'8" 180 so I don't know if he'd be in play for us. Cisco is your prototypical FS prospect with excellent size and athleticism for the position, has a high football IQ,  with great range and elite ball skills. He just has to show more in run support and be able to stay healthy as he missed 3 games last year and is going to miss the rest of the 2020 season after playing like 3 games. 

I'd still prefer to sign a proven veteran like Simmons though. 

• Like 1

Last season our opponents average depth of target was 9.4 yards down the field and their average depth of target on completions was 8.0 yards down the field. 

This season our opponents average depth of target is 6.4 yards down the field and their average depth of target on completions is 4.4 yards down the field. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Harris is a special teams guy, who is lucky to be in the league. 

Harris is okay as a third safety/depth option but he has no business starting and playing the majority of our snaps at FS. In 2018 in a limited role he had a 79.9 coverage grade according to PFF and only allowed 151 passing yards and 2 TD in 433 snaps. Last season in a bigger role his coverage grade dropped to 66.7 and he gave up 349 yards and 4 TD in like 900 snaps. And this year as a full time starter his coverage grade is 46.9 and he has already allowed 231 yards in 280 snaps. 

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Harris is okay as a third safety/depth option but he has no business starting and playing the majority of our snaps at FS. In 2018 in a limited role he had a 79.9 coverage grade according to PFF and only allowed 151 passing yards and 2 TD in 433 snaps. Last season in a bigger role his coverage grade dropped to 66.7 and he gave up 349 yards and 4 TD in like 900 snaps. And this year as a full time starter his coverage grade is 46.9 and he has already allowed 231 yards in 280 snaps. 

Exactly, he is an end of the roster type of guy. A 3rd safety should be ready to step in a for starter and not be a total liability out there. A 3rd safety could also play a few slot snaps, or have its own sets. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

Just now, Humble_Beast said:

Exactly, he is an end of the roster type of guy. A 3rd safety should be ready to step in a for starter and not be a total liability out there. A 3rd safety could also play a few slot snaps, and have its own sets. 

High end safeties don't just grow on trees though and Harris had his best year when he was just a rotational player.  

• Like 1

There has been a lot of Rod Marinelli slander from Raiders fans because of our DL play. We've seen Crosby start to play well in recent weeks and Ferrell just had the best game of his career last week. But I think the thing I'm most impressed by is how ready Chris Smith, Datone Jones, and Kendall Vickers were to play this week. All 3 of those guys were active and disruptive after Vickers had seen limited action and Jones/Smith had seen no action as practice squad players. 

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

There has been a lot of Rod Marinelli slander from Raiders fans because of our DL play. We've seen Crosby start to play well in recent weeks and Ferrell just had the best game of his career last week. But I think the thing I'm most impressed by is how ready Chris Smith, Datone Jones, and Kendall Vickers were to play this week. All 3 of those guys were active and disruptive after Vickers had seen limited action and Jones/Smith had seen no action as practice squad players. 

Smith, Jones and Vickers did well in the circumstances and kudos to Guenther and Marinelli. I'd probably keep them all active even if Collins and Hurst are fit after the bye. They deserve another chance in my book and could all rotate to keep us fresh.

I wanted 10 DL to make the roster in the cuts thread primarily so we could rotate them and keep guys fresh all the time, as we don't have any star players we have to find ways of rotating and being effective, we did that well in Kansas City.

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Smith, Jones and Vickers did well in the circumstances and kudos to Guenther and Marinelli. I'd probably keep them all active even if Collins and Hurst are fit after the bye. They deserve another chance in my book and could all rotate to keep us fresh.

I wanted 10 DL to make the roster in the cuts thread primarily so we could rotate them and keep guys fresh all the time, as we don't have any star players we have to find ways of rotating and being effective, we did that well in Kansas City.

I remember them saying we only had like 5 healthy active DL at the end of the game.  So we didn't really rotate out anyone.  That's why Maxx Crosby was talking about how tired he was and how he could barely move his legs.  Hopefully we do get healthy and start rotating players though.  Last thing we need is for Crosby to go down.  Dude is our only real legit DL.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Geezy said:

crazy how much love Collins was getting this offseason, Gruden was pimping him hard, and hes been a complete non-factor. Hopefully we do the right thing and play the right guys, no scholarships!

I remember watching some highlights of his when we signed him.  Haven't seen any of those highlight type plays since he joined the team.