Raiders Defense

Rolni

3 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

what happened to your whole, lets wait and see how he does the whole year.. . like youve done for other players of ours 😄🤣
he was terrible last year, terrible the first 4.5 games.. and yet this is who you want to give credit?

just playing with ya. 
PG def deserves credit for the second half against KC, had our guys playing great. in position to make plays. 

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

When have I not given Carr praise? And where have I said I'm sold on PG? Neither of those things are true.

I'm not sold on PG. But he deserves praise and almost no one is giving him it. Carr is getting plenty of praise and deservedly so.

I can also dish this narrative right back at you, Carr has been folding in the 2nd half completely for years, why are you "sold" on him? I'm not really serious about this question, but you see how easy this is to turn it right back around?

I didnt say you said either of those things lol... 
But for Carr you constantly say he was good last year for 7 weeks then folded massively, so this year, you want to wait and see until how the entire plays out.

That is why i think youre argument against Carr is very biased.. you keep waiting for him to prove you right (he crumbles down the stretch) (not that you want him too, but your never satisfied with his play, he always has to do more), but for PG, he has one good half and you want to give him instant credit

but lets leave it at that - hopefully raiders end 14-2 and thats that. 
I agree PG had a great second half, and deserves some credit. 

Edited by BackinBlack

17 hours ago, NYRaider said:
17 hours ago, BayRaider said:

PG not getting enough credit. He has some great coverage calls in the 2nd Half, and also spied Key on almost every 3rd/4th down. PG was one step ahead of the KC offense the entire 2nd half. They didn't convert a single 3rd down to my knowledge.

He had a great half for sure but we're still giving up 393 ypg and 30.4 ppg. Not to mention that we still had to score 40 points to win last week as well. It's a start for sure but I think it's also important to acknowledge that winning games while allowing 30+ points every week isn't sustainable.

Well, we were missing 3 of our top 4 interior DL guys aswell, Nassib started brightly but got injured too and of course Arnette was out. Those guys like Vickers, Jones and Smith coming in looked amped, well prepared and knew what they were doing within the system so credit where credit is due. They were far from perfect but we took journeymen players and produced an effective second half defensive performance against a very good OL and possibly the most explosive offense in football. That I think was exceptional. 

5 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Well, we were missing 3 of our top 4 interior DL guys aswell, Nassib started brightly but got injured too and of course Arnette was out. Those guys like Vickers, Jones and Smith coming in looked amped, well prepared and knew what they were doing within the system so credit where credit is due. They were far from perfect but we took journeymen players and produced an effective second half defensive performance against a very good OL and possibly the most explosive offense in football. That I think was exceptional. 

Gotta give props to Rod for having those guys ready and Ferrell/Crosby both improving as the season has gone on. I'm also really happy that we kept Nevin Lawson as he has played well in Arnette's absence. I remember posters on here said Worley was a much better player and gave me crap for saying that Lawson was not only better but also a way better scheme fit. 

If I was Mayock I'd call the Jets and offer our 2021 1st round pick for Quinnen Williams and sign Earl Thomas or Ha Ha Clinton-Dix to a vet minimum contract for the rest of the season. 

24 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If I was Mayock I'd call the Jets and offer our 2021 1st round pick for Quinnen Williams and sign Earl Thomas or Ha Ha Clinton-Dix to a vet minimum contract for the rest of the season

That's an interesting thought. Marcus Maye might be another name if they have a fire sale, I'd probably prefer him to Thomas or Dix but would cost a decent pick probably. Williams looked to be slowly getting it together from the couple games I've seen if the Jets and was a pretty flawless prospect, he's the type of player we need in there, stout against the run and can collapse the pocket to help the outside rush.

On the other note, I too like Lawson and was very surprised over the off season with the number of posters here who thought he'd be cut. He's always been a great tackler, good sticky coverage and tenacious. I always thought he might be our starter with Arnette playing sparingly. 

4 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

\Williams looked to be slowly getting it together from the couple games I've seen if the Jets and was a pretty flawless prospect, he's the type of player we need in there, stout against the run and can collapse the pocket to help the outside rush.

He has flashed this year and I think he'd look a lot better playing as a 4-3 DT rather than a 3-4 DE like he has been with the Jets. Plus he's young and we'd have him on his rookie contract this year and for the following 3 years as well. 

11 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

On the other note, I too like Lawson and was very surprised over the off season with the number of posters here who thought he'd be cut. He's always been a great tackler, good sticky coverage and tenacious. I always thought he might be our starter with Arnette playing sparingly. 

Lawson is the definition of a solid player, he doesn't make flashy plays but he also doesn't give up big plays either. He has given up 75 yards or fewer in 62 consecutive games, the longest streak in NFL history, has only given up 2 TD in 15 games with us, and has graded out as one of the best CB in run support every year of his career. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He has flashed this year and I think he'd look a lot better playing as a 4-3 DT rather than a 3-4 DE like he has been with the Jets. Plus he's young and we'd have him on his rookie contract this year and for the following 3 years as well. 

Yep, agree with this. He seems like a perfect fit in a 4-3 at 3T like ours but the Jets always make me scratch my head drafting. They've had solid 3-4 ends for years and a good NT in McClendon and they add a 4-3 DT to play end when there's guys like Allen, Burns, Sweat, Gary who could all be had after trading back and all would be great pass rushing OLBs and then wonder why they struggle with outside pass rush. 

20 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Lawson is the definition of a solid player, he doesn't make flashy plays but he also doesn't give up big plays either. He has given up 75 yards or fewer in 62 consecutive games, the longest streak in NFL history, has only given up 2 TD in 15 games with us, and has graded out as one of the best CB in run support every year of his career. 

Love me some Lawson. Unheralded player who just does his job. I hope we can keep him around.

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Should have just drafted Ruggs@12 and Shenault @19 instead of 24 year old rookie lol. Then used those 3rds to trade up into the 2nd for Jaylon Johnson a 21 year old rookie. Leaving Lawson a starterall 2020 and JJ waiting in the wings. 😂 Never mind 

Arnette has played well this year.

I don’t remember the Lawson vs Worley debate.... but I could ABSOLUTELY be wrong.... I remember a bunch of us advocating for Worley to be brought back as a depth piece.  That ended when we drafted Arnette.  Given the fact that Lawson was resigned even before FA and only had a cap number of 1.9M I never suspected we’d cut him.  He was always in the coaches plans.  Most of the time when we resign a player before FA they make the team the next year.

Lawson, as many have said, is the definition of solid but not spectacular.  He’s the ideal 3rd or 4th CB... can start long stretches of games if necessary due to injury and not see significant reduction in play.  If only he could create turnovers he’d get a lot more respect.  He doesn’t really get a lot of PDs either, which I think is why fans who “stat or box score scout” him under rate him heavily.

Worley was obviously not a system fit, he’s best in zone coverage.  Even us that wanted him back admitted that.  He doesn’t have the long speed to run with WRs in man.