Raiders Defense

Rolni

On 10/17/2020 at 12:18 PM, Humble_Beast said:

MM has the mindset of drafting his guy, and not maximizing e value. Atleast when Gruden drafted Kolton Miller, he landed a 3rd rounder in a trade down. Of course he shipped that pick out for M Bryant lol. Arnette had a bad hand in college, surprised MM overlooked this aspect of a prospect. To no surprise he is out with that same hand. Lol. 

i don't think Mayock purposely goes out of his way to get poor value and value is subjective because we only see prospect value from the media's perspective. And Arnette dealt with a wrist injury in college and just hurt his thumb, two totally different and non-related injuries. 

On 10/16/2020 at 2:52 PM, jimkelly02 said:

I don’t remember the Lawson vs Worley debate.... but I could ABSOLUTELY be wrong.... I remember a bunch of us advocating for Worley to be brought back as a depth piece.  That ended when we drafted Arnette.  Given the fact that Lawson was resigned even before FA and only had a cap number of 1.9M I never suspected we’d cut him.  He was always in the coaches plans.  Most of the time when we resign a player before FA they make the team the next year.

Lawson, as many have said, is the definition of solid but not spectacular.  He’s the ideal 3rd or 4th CB... can start long stretches of games if necessary due to injury and not see significant reduction in play.  If only he could create turnovers he’d get a lot more respect.  He doesn’t really get a lot of PDs either, which I think is why fans who “stat or box score scout” him under rate him heavily.

Worley was obviously not a system fit, he’s best in zone coverage.  Even us that wanted him back admitted that.  He doesn’t have the long speed to run with WRs in man.

Hmm... 

On 4/19/2020 at 11:56 PM, NightTrainLane said:

Yeah, all valid points but we'll see if he is on the roster in Sept. Worley will get signed (maybe not by us)and I'm willing to bet he plays more snaps than Lawson. The reason Worley isn't signed imo is he is a 1-2mil value guy just like Lawson like I was pointing out and it gonna take alittle reality check(not being signed til after the draft) for him to accept that. Both need to prove it.

On 4/20/2020 at 12:25 AM, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah,,, using those stats to say Worley sucks is completely not accurate.  It’s blaming Worley for poor coverage by LBs and Ss.  Worley has his issues so there’s definitely ways to knock him but that’s isn’t one.

On 4/19/2020 at 11:32 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

Agreed. I don’t know why people are so negative on Worley. Dude is still young and is a decent backup level corner who has the size to match up on tight ends. 

In response to the above comment, I don’t think he did bad against Kelce at all...

On 4/20/2020 at 12:58 AM, drfrey13 said:

People sometimes try to be too smart.  Worley was containing Kelce but then Reid started scheming Kelce to get him matched up 1v1 on Joseph.  It is a chess match and Worley is a chess piece.  Is he a good CB or S?  Not really but he has the right blend of skills to limit good TEs and that is one of the main weapons for all teams in our division.  I like Abram but if he tries to stay with Hill you can bet Hill will score a TD or 2.  Reid will figure out how to get the match-up he wants.  Having Worley shadow Kelce just makes it harder for him and gives our offense more time to try and build a lead.  Best way to beat Reid is to to keep the offense off the field and slowly make them 1 dimensional because they are playing from behind.  I am not saying remove Abram or Randall but maybe Lawson, the rookie, or Joyner.

On 4/20/2020 at 1:22 AM, jimkelly02 said:

It’s one thing to say “hey I think there’s better options out there than Worley” but it’s quite another to advocate that we’d be best with Nevin Lawson starting until a rookie can take the job.  

then post videos of Worley’s bad plays.... when Lawson had the most iconic bad play ever.  (Insert dropped INT play here)

you can’t complain that we didn’t force many INTs and then advocate for Lawson.... he’s the most successful NFL CB to never get an INT.

On 4/20/2020 at 1:32 AM, jimkelly02 said:

While Worley was far from great he wasn’t as bad as NYRaider portrays it.  He actually had a decent stretch of games during the season.

the guys been a starter since his rookie year, 49 starts by the age of 25.

he was targeted 72x, allowed 38rec (52%) and 634yds, 4 TD.

That’s not THAT bad.  

https://www.sisdatahub.com/players/4270

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think Terrell was our target but he came off the board earlier than expected. There were also reports leading up to the draft that teams CB rankings varied greatly from team to team and in comparison to the media's rankings. I think he was also a little overlooked by the media as a 5th year senior without elite physical tools because on tape he looked like a 1st rounder all year. 

I think this is pretty close to the truth. The media just ranks guys without prejudice to what type of coverage schemes they've played in college and what they may be suited to. It stands to reason that a team like the Raiders would covet guys who have experience playing man coverage and are a certain profile whereas PFF and others don't really take that into account so much. 

• Like 2

Marinelli is the sure fire replacement of Pussbag Paul is let go mid season.  Which is looking more and more likely.  After the season though, who are some good DC replacements going forward?  Position coaches from other teams, or college defensive coordinators?  

31 minutes ago, Totty said:

Marinelli is the sure fire replacement of Pussbag Paul is let go mid season.  Which is looking more and more likely.  After the season though, who are some good DC replacements going forward?  Position coaches from other teams, or college defensive coordinators?  

Old Mari hasn’t really impressed me so far with the dline 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Old Mari hasn’t really impressed me so far with the dline 

But it is time for a change.  Isolate the variable to see how much is coaching and how much is talent.  Same reason I say if we are out of the playoff hunt that is when I want to see Mariota.  If Mariota is a fringe starting QB and he can run the offense better than Carr then we know where the problem is.

Ok so we all can see now that we are a playoff calibre team if we can just put out a semi competent defence. Heck, we just beat the best team in football two weeks ago and went toe to toe with Tampa Bay for 3/4 so its not out of the realms of possibility we could make sone noise if we got into the playoffs. With that said, we need to make changes to the D urgently:

i) Get on the phone to Joe Douglas at the Jets who seems like a reasonable guy and prise Quinnen Williams away from them for a 2nd round pick plus a future pick if needed. He's our new 3T, he's not a 34 end.

Note: we should have traded for him already and got him in the building with 2 weeks to learn the scheme, missed the perfect time.

ii) Joyner must be moved back to FS, he's struggled at NCB and its so obviously not working but he has played at a Pro Bowl level at safety. This means I'd throw Robertson in at nickel unless Arnette is back and Lawson fill in there.

iii) Cut/trade Collins, he's offered nothing and promote Smith from PS. Hankins and Williams are starters with Irving, Hurst, Vickers and Smith rotating in. Vickers, Smith and Irving need to be given snaps so we can see if KC was an anomoly or if they can genuinely be part of the solution. 

iv) We need to abandon the idea of just rushing 4, that only works if your guys can beat their opposite man regularly. Be aggressive, scheme blitzes, drop a lineman into coverage while bringing a safety or linebacker on a blitz, anything to add nuances and be unpredictable.

v) Our CBs actually cover pretty well, they just cant do it for 6 or 7 seconds, no-one can, so dont be afraid to put them on an island from time to time so we can create pressure. I want to see innovative blitzing, unpredictability and something different as what we're doing clearly isn't working.

vi) Stop giving good receivers free releases and large cushions, we drafted press man corners so let's use them where their skill set lies. I'd be prepared to give up the odd big play if we get more aggressive and make some plays. This goes hand in hand with the pass rush. 

vii) Ferrell should be kept on a very short leash and told he's playing for his starting spot. He's had one good game and a bunch of anonymous performances. Irving can play outside but could take some time but Key/Nassib should be biting at his heels and brought in as starter if he's quiet next week.  

This may all be contingent on replacing Guenther at DC as I imagine he wouldn't make such a 180 in defensive philosophy so quickly. But we need to act now before any more games get wasted away.

It can't be much worse, right? We are literally right there at #31 as the second worst D in the NFL. We must pressure the QB more, stop more 3rd down conversions and create some turnovers. 

Are there any other moves we should make ASAP? 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Totty said:

Kris Richard. He was the Seahawks DB coach for years and helped develop the LOB with guys like Sherman and Chancellor being 5th round picks the same year he got there. Went on to be their DC for a few seasons and had a top 10 defense. Then he was the DB coach/assistant DC in Dallas and they had a top 10 D every year he was there. And he took Byron Jones from average FS to the highest paid CB in NFL history. 

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1