Raiders Defense

Rolni

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Kris Richard. He was the Seahawks DB coach for years and helped develop the LOB with guys like Sherman and Chancellor being 5th round picks the same year he got there. Went on to be their DC for a few seasons and had a top 10 defense. Then he was the DB coach/assistant DC in Dallas and they had a top 10 D every year he was there. And he took Byron Jones from average FS to the highest paid CB in NFL history. 

He is available right now is he not??

Maybe just allow your guys to play instead of waiting and then reacting. Let them loose. 

Also you have to give guys like D.Jones and C.Smith a chance. Against KC they were busting their behinds. Collins you paid money to but at this point it’s about who gives u the better chance at winning. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Vic:

Gruden said he is not going to get into defensive fixes publicly, but did add it could involve scheme and lineups. As far as coaching changes or new players, he said, "we're going to stick together and the defense will be better next week."

So basically we've accepted our D sucks and we're just praying to win shootouts the rest of the year. Beautiful. 

I’m all for upgrading from PG but I’m honestly not a huge fan of in-season firing. What’s the next move if he’s fired? Who takes over?

At least if PG is kept to finish the season we have some continuity to finish the year. If you think firing PG turns this defense into a playoff caliber defense I cannot agree with that. The talent is just not there. 

4 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Vic:

Gruden said he is not going to get into defensive fixes publicly, but did add it could involve scheme and lineups. As far as coaching changes or new players, he said, "we're going to stick together and the defense will be better next week."

This wreaks of the dreaded vote of confidence.  

Edited by Totty
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

I’m all for upgrading from PG but I’m honestly not a huge fan of in-season firing. What’s the next move if he’s fired? Who takes over?

At least if PG is kept to finish the season we have some continuity to finish the year. If you think firing PG turns this defense into a playoff caliber defense I cannot agree with that. The talent is just not there. 

I want to see if another coach can get something out of these guys before we start cutting players in the off season and bring in a new coach.  If you do not isolate the variable you have no idea where the problem is.  A new coach can improve the defense the same way Pagano did when taking over for KNJ.  Probably not make them top ten but you will be able to see improvements in certain areas.  I still think Gruden does not want a good defense.  He wants a D that is good enough not to blow games but at the same time not win games.  He gets to be the hero then.

• Like 1

We don’t have top 10 talent but we do have talent... 

hate to waste a year of development 

DL: Ferrell, Crosby, Key, Hurst 

DB: Arnette, Abram, Amik, Johnson, Mullen

LB: muse, White 

we need coaches to help these guys develop. Put these guys in position to shine 

all the vets  we bring in, aren’t lighting it up either: Littleton, Kwit,  Nassib, Collins, McMillin. 

there is a common denominator with all the players: scheme 

Edited by Humble_Beast

15 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He was actually listed as the Cowboys DB coach and defensive play caller while Rod was DC. 

It does make a lot of sense, get the old band back together........ Marinelli, Richard, Irving, Heath, Collins 😁