Raiders Defense

Rolni

13 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Maybe just allow your guys to play instead of waiting and then reacting. Let them loose. 

Not really sure what you mean by 'let them loose', do you mean give them autonomy to play what they see? That seems like a recipe for lots of blown coverages, over pursuit and vacating lanes with our level of talent.........

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding! 

6 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Not really sure what you mean by 'let them loose', do you mean give them autonomy to play what they see? That seems like a recipe for lots of blown coverages, over pursuit and vacating lanes with our level of talent.........

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding! 

It's a defensive philosophy of shooting a gap instead of taking on the blocker and reading the play.

I always thought read and react defenses were garbage

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

I’m all for upgrading from PG but I’m honestly not a huge fan of in-season firing. What’s the next move if he’s fired? Who takes over?

At least if PG is kept to finish the season we have some continuity to finish the year. If you think firing PG turns this defense into a playoff caliber defense I cannot agree with that. The talent is just not there. 

But continuity for continuity's sake is just defeatist. Keep doing the same things and hope they just get better doesn't sound like a plan to me. Its not like we're just a below average D, we're literally #31 of 32 by most metrics and giving up almost 33 points per game!

Paul Guenther has had 2 1/2 seasons, a host of players brought in specifically to fit his scheme (Ferrell, Collins, Hurst, Littleton, Kwiatkoski, Joyner, Arnette, Mullen, Heath) and there's been practically no improvement, in fact we're worse now in most statistics than before with indisputably better players.

When we fired Ken Norton Jr and Pagano took over the D instantly improved, even a small boost like that can make the difference in one or two games and it looks very much like that could be the difference between making the playoffs and missing out. If we get in the playoffs anything is possible......we just beat the best team in the NFL in their own little Kingdom (surely it should be a Chiefdom?!?!?!)  😀😀

• Like 2

5 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I want to see if another coach can get something out of these guys before we start cutting players in the off season and bring in a new coach.  If you do not isolate the variable you have no idea where the problem is.  A new coach can improve the defense the same way Pagano did when taking over for KNJ.  Probably not make them top ten but you will be able to see improvements in certain areas.  I still think Gruden does not want a good defense.  He wants a D that is good enough not to blow games but at the same time not win games.  He gets to be the hero then.

Excellent post, completely agree.

55 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

It's a defensive philosophy of shooting a gap instead of taking on the blocker and reading the play.

I always thought read and react defenses were garbage

Oh, ok that kinda makes sense.

The thing is, I thought that was what we were supposed to be doing with guys like Collins and Hurst who can't hold up on blockers or in a two gap type scheme, they are supposed to be penetrators and also Crosby who shoots out and often overruns and gets caught out by misdirection and screens and fails to set the edge?

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Oh, ok that kinda makes sense.

The thing is, I thought that was what we were supposed to be doing with guys like Collins and Hurst who can't hold up on blockers or in a two gap type scheme, they are supposed to be penetrators and also Crosby who shoots out and often overruns and gets caught out by misdirection and screens and fails to set the edge?

In theory you have 4 D-lineman shooting gaps and 3LBs to fill the open holes. It's all about creating pressure and chaos in the back field.

1 hour ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

In theory you have 4 D-lineman shooting gaps and 3LBs to fill the open holes. It's all about creating pressure and chaos in the back field.

Yep, and we did that well against KC, Vickers in particular, Smith and Jones all got disruption. Are you saying our guys like Collins and Hurst are being specifically told to take on the block and '2 gap' in essence? They have looked like they were trying to penetrate to me but just getting washed out or being ineffective..........

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Yep, and we did that well against KC, Vickers in particular, Smith and Jones all got disruption. Are you saying our guys like Collins and Hurst are being specifically told to take on the block and '2 gap' in essence? They have looked like they were trying to penetrate to me but just getting washed out or being ineffective..........

Its hard to tell, they are just so bad but I would guess they brought Irving in for that reason.

The DTs can also line up in the gap to make it easier to penetrate. 

Edited by Bitty 2.0
  • Like 1

Taken from another forum about PG:

2018 - https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 18/opp.htm
raiders blitzed 103 times, 31st in the nfl
raiders 13 sacks - 32nd in the nfl

2019 - https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 19/opp.htm
raiders blitzed 103 times, 31st in the nfl
raiders 32 sacks - 25th in the nfl

2020 - https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 20/opp.htm
raiders blitzed 46 times, 29th in the nfl
raiders 7 sacks - 31st in the nfl

• Like 1

Things I would like to see

Stop removing Kwiat on 3rd downs. He is the best LB on the team and replacing him with Morrow is idiotic. 

Keep E.Harris on the sideline. No explanation needed

More playing time for C.Smith or D.Jones and less Collins. Dont see the effort needed in Collins to warrant any playing time. You paid him and it has not worked. In one game I saw more from Smith and Jones than Collins all season.

More aggressive blitzes on 2nd and a 3rd downs. You dont just need to blitz to get to the QB you can also send blitzes to stop the run. 

Less Joyner. Time to start allowing the young guy Robertson get some time. 

PG show us why you should stay at DC come up with some good blitzes.

Edited by agarcia34

9 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I want to see if another coach can get something out of these guys before we start cutting players in the off season and bring in a new coach.  If you do not isolate the variable you have no idea where the problem is.  A new coach can improve the defense the same way Pagano did when taking over for KNJ.  Probably not make them top ten but you will be able to see improvements in certain areas.  I still think Gruden does not want a good defense.  He wants a D that is good enough not to blow games but at the same time not win games.  He gets to be the hero then.

I completely disagree with this.  Gruden wants to win games period.  If this were at all true then he shouldn't even be a head coach.  No coach should ever want this.  Just crazy to think this is at all true.

Gruden's downfall is going to be that his ego is to big to move on from Guenther. 

His schemes and coaching are not clicking for whatever reason. They've spent a lot of high draft picks and money in FA to upgrade the defense and they are actually worse than a year ago. That's on coaching. 

You can't rush 4 if those 4 can generate no pressure. I truly believe guys like Hurst and Key will blossom elsewhere. Dline players have left the Raiders and excelled with other teams recently. 

Gruden needs to get smart. Get a defensive guru who can imprint something on this team. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

I completely disagree with this.  Gruden wants to win games period.  If this were at all true then he shouldn't even be a head coach.  No coach should ever want this.  Just crazy to think this is at all true.

After what happened in Tampa with his ego this could very easily be true.  He caught so much crap about winning with Dungy's defense he wants to prove his offense can do it.  Getting rid of Mack and Pagano the way he did also points to this.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

His schemes and coaching are not clicking for whatever reason. They've spent a lot of high draft picks and money in FA to upgrade the defense and they are actually worse than a year ago. That's on coaching. 

His schemes and coaching are not clicking because he was never a great coach. He coached under Marvin Lewis who built that dominant Ravens defense and then replaced Zimmer who built that dominant Bengals defense. As soon as Guenther took over in Cincinnati they got progressively worse every year defensively. 

The worst part is that we took Ferrell over Allen, Burns, and Sweat who all look like they're going to be premier pass rushers because "he fit Guenther's scheme" better.