Raiders Defense

Rolni

Assuming that we're not going to make any significant trades at the deadline, the personnel/strategy moved I'd make: 

• Move LaMarcus Joyner to FS - He clearly sucks as a slot CB and had his best years at safety, plus he can't be any worse than Erik Harris. 

• Let Nixon, Robertson, and Lawson battle for snaps at slot CB, assuming Arnette is back healthy soon. 

• Stat Mo Hurst over Collins and start to get Irving snaps across the DL. 

• Keep Kwit on the field for all 3 downs. 

• Start to blitz Kwit, Littleton, and Abram more - Littleton/Kwit had like a combined 8 sacks last season. 

• Like 4

we need a true difference maker on defense. I think we have a lot of decent to good players, guys that can perform in the right scheme and along side other good players. What we lack is a game changer or 3, i dont believe we have a single game changer on defense. Mullen is probably our best defensive player, but we have seen how teams can do damage vs a defense with a star CB during the Nnamdi years. It starts up front where we have a bunch of role players playing big snaps. Hankins is our best DL, but NT doesnt hold as much weight as any of the other spots across the DL. I think our secondary is a FS away from being really good, which doesnt mean much when you have a DL that doesnt apply pressure. Irving should help the DL, im hoping he and Hurst turn our 3T position into a strength and we go away from Collins, i still dont see what the hell Gruden was yapping about or how this guy is a damn captain, he hasnt made a single play all season(1 QB hit in 5 games, how is that even possible?) We also dont get enough heat on the outside, Ferrell hasnt gotten a sack and has had 1 big game so far, Crosby goes silent for long stretches. We dont have a guy that teams have to game plan for or that can consistently win 1v 1. As a whole, i believe we are more talented on paper, which doesnt count in the standings. But , 1. Our DC sucks and 2. We have a bunch of guys and not enough playmakers. We have talent on defense but not enough to not need any help and PG lacks the capacity to elevate the unit by scheme or play calling. 

Mullen, Abram, Kwiat, Littleton, Arnette, Hankins, Crosby and hopefully Irving. Are guys that are starters and make up the core of the defense. Were still 3-4 pieces away on defense with some solid depth guys in place. The good thing is the offense is sort of set, minus some depth pieces and we will be able to focus on getting the defense right this next offseason. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Geezy said:

1. Our DC sucks and 2. We have a bunch of guys and not enough playmakers. We have talent on defense but not enough to not need any help and PG lacks the capacity to elevate the unit by scheme or play calling.

In Littleton's final 2 seasons with the Rams he had 259 tackles, 7.5 sacks, 15 TFL, 9 QB hits, 22 passes defended, 5 INT, 2 FF, and 4 FR. 

In Joyner's final 2 seasons with the Rams he had 127 tackles, 1.0 sack, 3 TFL, 2 QB hits, 12 passes defended, 4 INT, 1 FF, and 1 FR. 

Collins was one of the best interior pass rushers in the league last year in Dallas while Nassib was a very solid complimentary pass rusher. 

We drafted Abram because of his playmaking ability in the 1st round. 

Why is it that guys who are in their prime, play their best years of football elsewhere, and then completely fall off of a cliff in Guenther's scheme?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Assuming that we're not going to make any significant trades at the deadline, the personnel/strategy moved I'd make: 

• Move LaMarcus Joyner to FS - He clearly sucks as a slot CB and had his best years at safety, plus he can't be any worse than Erik Harris. 

• Let Nixon, Robertson, and Lawson battle for snaps at slot CB, assuming Arnette is back healthy soon. 

• Stat Mo Hurst over Collins and start to get Irving snaps across the DL. 

• Keep Kwit on the field for all 3 downs. 

• Start to blitz Kwit, Littleton, and Abram more - Littleton/Kwit had like a combined 8 sacks last season. 

I agree with all those points.. also play Datone Jones, Chris Smith, Vickers ... since we don’t have elite talent, might as well try to out hustle and out work other teams. You do that, but rotating and keeping our line fresh. Might as well throw McMillen out there too. Can’t be worse than Morrow, see if he was a find or move on next year. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

I agree with all those points.. also play Datone Jones, Chris Smith, Vickers ... since we don’t have elite talent, might as well try to out hustle and out work other teams. You do that, but rotating and keeping our line fresh. Might as well throw McMillen out there too. Can’t be worse than Morrow, see if he was a find or move on next year. 

Yep.

Our D-line lineup isn't doing anything. May as well see if switching it up changes things. Doing the same thing over and over is truly insanity at this point.

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

In Littleton's final 2 seasons with the Rams he had 259 tackles, 7.5 sacks, 15 TFL, 9 QB hits, 22 passes defended, 5 INT, 2 FF, and 4 FR. 

In Joyner's final 2 seasons with the Rams he had 127 tackles, 1.0 sack, 3 TFL, 2 QB hits, 12 passes defended, 4 INT, 1 FF, and 1 FR. 

Collins was one of the best interior pass rushers in the league last year in Dallas while Nassib was a very solid complimentary pass rusher. 

We drafted Abram because of his playmaking ability in the 1st round. 

Why is it that guys who are in their prime, play their best years of football elsewhere, and then completely fall off of a cliff in Guenther's scheme?

It's not just Gunther's scheme this has been a theme of the Raiders for the past decade on both O and D.  

We have no surrounding talent and as someone brings up in the prior posts we have zero elite defenders on this D and just a bunch of complimentary pieces.  It's not rocket science as to why these FA signings don't pan out. 

We need an influx of elite talent (Edge,3T, CB) we get zero pressure on the QB can cant stop the run.  It's beyond pathetic and if you have that atrocious combo you get the trickle down effect to the LB's and secondary. 

Pressuring the Qb, getting backfield penetration and being able to stop the run are keys to a successful D, we lack the personnel to do either, to me it's obvious. 

I think this team could benefit from an elite IDL and FS like many teams, but we have competent players at both positions. We should do what Gregg Williams used to do. Try to create a play for a loss and use that to capitalize and force a punt/stalled rive. But if we don't send an extra guy/play press man more often, we're begging teams to chunk us and then shred us later in games when they break that "chip away 5-10 yards per play" approach.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think this team could benefit from an elite IDL and FS like many teams, but we have competent players at both positions. We should do what Gregg Williams used to do. Try to create a play for a loss and use that to capitalize and force a punt/stalled rive. But if we don't send an extra guy/play press man more often, we're begging teams to chunk us and then shred us later in games when they break that "chip away 5-10 yards per play" approach.

A better FS would be huge for our defense because he'd help clean up a lot of mistakes that our other players make in coverage. A disruptive interior DL would help a lot as well but outside of Crosby none of our edge players have been able to win consistently either. With our current roster the only way we're going to get consistent pressure is with creative blitzes but Guenther just refuses to do it. 

Cory Littleton was arguably the best playmaking LB in the league last year and has been a ghost in our defense. 

13 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Pressuring the Qb, getting backfield penetration and being able to stop the run are keys to a successful D, we lack the personnel to do either, to me it's obvious. 

I disagree that we don't have the personnel to stop the run. We were 8th in yards allowed and 5th in yards per carry allowed last season. In the 3 games Kwit was out we gave up 100+ in every game and allowed 164 rushing yards pre game. In the 3 games since he has been back we haven't given up 100+ in a game and we're allowing 76 rushing yards per game. 

The 3 biggest issues with our defense are:

1.) Outside of Crosby we have no one that can generate consistent pressure on the QB. 

2.) Erik Harris is a bum so any of the mistakes that our other secondary players make are amplified. 

3.) Paul Guenther's vanilla, non-agressive scheme doesn't work unless we consistently get pressure with a 4 man rush, which we can't. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

We have no surrounding talent and as someone brings up in the prior posts we have zero elite defenders on this D and just a bunch of complimentary pieces.  It's not rocket science as to why these FA signings don't pan out. 

Littleton was an elite LB and Joyner was one of the better playmaking safeties in the league before they got here. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Our D-line lineup isn't doing anything. May as well see if switching it up changes things. Doing the same thing over and over is truly insanity at this point.

Even the announcer yesterday mentioned it, if you can't generate pressure consistently with your front 4, then you have to get creative with blitzes, stunts, etc. 

7 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I've been thinking about this and Gregg Williams is a guy who runs a very aggressive defence usually but has precious little talent to work with at the moment. I wouldn't mind him at all as DC as he can run virtually any scheme and they're bound to be aggressive, versatile and intent in impact plays and takeaways, but of course he would be bound to clash personalities with Gruden. That would be some great Hard Knocks stuff to watch those two going at it   😁😁

• Like 1

I’ve been saying this forever:  we don’t just need a 3Tech that can be disruptive... we need one that also length and range.  

We need a FS that has the range, but can also drop down into the slot or cover at TE at times.

and I think we really could use a lengthy, speed edge rusher.... someone that can play SAM as well as DE on 3rd down.

this defense is 3 good and 1 decent player away from being respectful.

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I disagree that we don't have the personnel to stop the run. We were 8th in yards allowed and 5th in yards per carry allowed last season. In the 3 games Kwit was out we gave up 100+ in every game and allowed 164 rushing yards pre game. In the 3 games since he has been back we haven't given up 100+ in a game and we're allowing 76 rushing yards per game. 

The 3 biggest issues with our defense are:

1.) Outside of Crosby we have no one that can generate consistent pressure on the QB. 

2.) Erik Harris is a bum so any of the mistakes that our other secondary players make are amplified. 

3.) Paul Guenther's vanilla, non-agressive scheme doesn't work unless we consistently get pressure with a 4 man rush, which we can't. 

when I said competent fs i meant joyner lol