Raiders Defense

Rolni

We need a STUD on D. Someone that puts FEAR into scheming for him. That would make the players around him better. If we're not willing to trade for that player, should we trade away anybody expecting a new scheme next season? I like our young talent but look at all options.

6 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I've been thinking about this and Gregg Williams is a guy who runs a very aggressive defence usually but has precious little talent to work with at the moment. I wouldn't mind him at all as DC as he can run virtually any scheme and they're bound to be aggressive, versatile and intent in impact plays and takeaways, but of course he would be bound to clash personalities with Gruden. That would be some great Hard Knocks stuff to watch those two going at it   😁😁

Keep Gregg Williams out of here. There are good defensive minds out there that don't come.with his baggage. Dude is trash and the last thing our players need, particularly when we already have issues with penalties.

Our defensive philosophy doesn't make any sense. We die by one big cut and a thousand small cuts. Both Cant happen. With our offense we should be playing an aggressive defense. I mean either you make the other team make a mistake or get them behind the sticks or you get beat deep. Either way you get your offense on the field quicker. Having a bend dont break defense that allow a bunch of long drives and still break is dumb. Defense playing on their heels all game. Gruden and guenther strategies dont make sense. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Keep Gregg Williams out of here. There are good defensive minds out there that don't come.with his baggage. Dude is trash and the last thing our players need, particularly when we already have issues with penalties.

Oh, I don't think for one second we would consider hiring him. As I said Gruden wants to be the 'personality' and he certainly wouldn't want a guy like Williams voicing his concerns. Guenther fits his bill as he's quiet, unobtrusive, conservative and won't rock the boat. Unfortunately that's how his D plays too.

11 hours ago, dante9876 said:

Our defensive philosophy doesn't make any sense. We die by one big cut and a thousand small cuts. Both Cant happen. With our offense we should be playing an aggressive defense. I mean either you make the other team make a mistake or get them behind the sticks or you get beat deep. Either way you get your offense on the field quicker. Having a bend dont break defense that allow a bunch of long drives and still break is dumb. Defense playing on their heels all game. Gruden and guenther strategies dont make sense. 

I’ve never thought about it like this before but you’re 100% right. I could deal with it if we were one or the other; a defense who gave up lots of big plays but occasionally made turnovers, or a ‘bend but don’t break’ style that holds teams to 3 regularly. Instead we combine the negatives from both of these philosophies, and have done so almost continuously for as long as I have watched this team. It’s getting really old.

How hard can it be to put out a defense that’s even top half in the league? I would LOVE our D to be even ranked 15th one of these years.

I think you play Baker the same way you play Patrick.  Spy.  Put Arden back at the second level center field position and keep Mayfield from being mobile.  Don't allow him out of the pocket.  Keep the DL fresh with the Vickers, Smith, Jones, Hurst, Collins, Hankins rotation.  

Being down Arnette is going to suck with this passing attack.  They are down OBJ, but that doesn't mean they can't hurt you through the air.  

On 10/28/2020 at 6:37 PM, G said:

We need a STUD on D. Someone that puts FEAR into scheming for him. That would make the players around him better. If we're not willing to trade for that player, should we trade away anybody expecting a new scheme next season? I like our young talent but look at all options.

I'm praying that we offer Justin Simmons a blank check in free agency. Adding him at FS would make our defense so much better. And hopefully Abram continues to improve because then we'd have two real difference makers at safety. 

11 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If we just stick with who we have, it just isnt' going to get done. I find it hard to believe that we aren't looking for some kind of trade. Especially at safety/DL.

We need to roll the dice on Earl Thomas, we have nothing to lose at this point. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

We need to roll the dice on Earl Thomas, we have nothing to lose at this point. 

I think all options should be on the table, we currently rank:

#32 in takeaways

#31 in points allowed

#30 in yards per play

#29 in sacks

#26 in 3rd down conversions

There really is nothing to lose!

Frankly embarrassing.

11 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I think all options should be on the table, we currently rank:

#32 in takeaways

#31 in points allowed

#30 in yards per play

#29 in sacks

#26 in 3rd down conversions

There really is nothing to lose!

Frankly embarrassing.

Depends on the price.  I would rather save the cap space to roll over for next year if he wants a big contract.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

Depends on the price.  I would rather save the cap space to roll over for next year if he wants a big contract.

Not saying we should definitely make a move but all options should be on the table for discussion. We simply have to change something up, that may be signing a FA, trading for a guy, switching up the scheme, playing guys like Vickers, Smith and Jones more or bringing Irving in. We desperately need a spark from somewhere, hopefully Mayfield does his usual and remains erratic and has a poor game after a great showing last week.

• Like 1