Raiders Defense

Rolni

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

Ferrell has been getting pressure on the QB, sacks come in bunches. Hes better than what people give him credit for, still not living up to the draft status but hes much better than last season. 

I'm resigned to the fact that he won't already. Which still doesn't mean he can't be a fine player. I expect that much out of him. I want to continue to see more confidence.

7 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Vic:

Didn't sound like Sunday hero Isaiah Johnson moved up the depth chart. Gruden: "He is still a work in progress, but he is making progress. Still some things he needs to clean up."

A work in progress or not the answer should be if he plays better then the people ahead of him.    I know you are just the messenger but I see Lawson giving up TDs and Johnson breaking up passes in the endzone.  I hope Gruden is trying to hide something because although Johnson was not great he was better than every other CB available not named Mullen.

12 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think Ferrell is playing better than some have given him credit for. I think he can make a big 3rd year leap in terms of sacks. The big need IMO is interior rush.

Arden key IMO will flash some more good reps once he's back this week or next.

I like ferrell because his heart, solid play this year as a whole. but as top 8 pick needs to get the sacks too. if he finishes with 5 sacks I'd be happy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, roi34 said:

I like ferrell because his heart, solid play this year as a whole. but as top 8 pick needs to get the sacks too. if he finishes with 5 sacks I'd be happy

Ferrell has shown flashes so that is a good sign. He’s had a few good games this season, but against certain OT becomes a non factor. Sunday was a good game 

On 11/10/2020 at 5:55 AM, drfrey13 said:

A work in progress or not the answer should be if he plays better then the people ahead of him.    I know you are just the messenger but I see Lawson giving up TDs and Johnson breaking up passes in the endzone.  I hope Gruden is trying to hide something because although Johnson was not great he was better than every other CB available not named Mullen.

I'm not sure if I'm just paying more attention than previous years, but the whole "he who plays better, starts" approach that is used pretty much everywhere has been a major issue and the coaches are either seeing something we're not or are just ridiculously stubborn...

We all see how Erik Harris offers nothing and how Joyner might do a better job, we all see how Collins offers nothing but Hurst and Vickers flash. It's even the same on offense with Witten who I see over and over whiff on pull blocks and he just might be the slowest player I've ever seen on the field... I'm pretty confident Hankins is faster... but still no signs of any change... 

• Like 2

On 11/9/2020 at 7:52 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm resigned to the fact that he won't already. Which still doesn't mean he can't be a fine player. I expect that much out of him. I want to continue to see more confidence.

I see Ferrell as over thinking pass rushing. You can see in the run game he has no issue engaging and discarding linemen but in the pass game all of a sudden he becomes a finesse player who's trying double moves. No you bull rush and manhandle the OT.  He doesn't  need to go around the OT or bend the corner he kind of needs to go through the OT.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2020 at 5:34 PM, raidersedge said:

The Rod Marinelli guys we brought have been pretty bad. That hire as a whole just isn't working out. I miss Buckner.

Just got look at PG defense pre Marinelli and post its a big difference. Marinelli had his finger print on this defense. 

The impact that football nerds give to the position coaches impact on the GameDay performance of a player always makes me laugh. 

4 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

Just got look at PG defense pre Marinelli and post its a big difference. Marinelli had his finger print on this defense. 

The impact that football nerds give to the position coaches impact on the GameDay performance of a player always makes me laugh. 

Could you expand on the differences between pre and post Marinelli please? 👼

In 2018 Raiders had a total of 13 sacks with Mike Trgovac as Dline coach. Buckner came in for the 2019 season and Raiders improved to 32 sacks. Now with Marinelli we are on pace for 18 sacks. I don't want to just use sacks and a measure for susses but I'm just stating the obvious. This group isn't getting any pressure, its been awful. There could be some kind of disconnect between PG and Marinelli, idk but Gruden needs to figure something out. Raiders have a pretty high level offense, we just need more from this dline and Raiders could be looking at a 11-5 type season. 

21 hours ago, Ryno said:

I'm not sure if I'm just paying more attention than previous years, but the whole "he who plays better, starts" approach that is used pretty much everywhere has been a major issue and the coaches are either seeing something we're not or are just ridiculously stubborn...

We all see how Erik Harris offers nothing and how Joyner might do a better job, we all see how Collins offers nothing but Hurst and Vickers flash. It's even the same on offense with Witten who I see over and over whiff on pull blocks and he just might be the slowest player I've ever seen on the field... I'm pretty confident Hankins is faster... but still no signs of any change... 

I think it has to do with locker room politics and Gruden wanting guys that practice hard rather than guys that show in the games only.  if Johnson does not get more playing time this week then it is pretty obvious.

• Like 1