Raiders Defense

Rolni

15 hours ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

Or Matt Patricia, assuming his time in Detroit is done? As a head coach, he ain't much --- but it's hard to knock him as a DC.

Are we sure about this?

Maybe it was all BB, cause the Lions D stinks since he is there...

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

If the current coaching staff is any indication, any move would be for a Gruden guy. Think Raheem Morris. Maybe they have a nice conversation tomorrow as he likely won't be back with Atlanta. 

I respect Morris’s abilities as a DC, but doesn’t he run a lot of Tampa 2 zone with some Cover 3 zone?

In my humblest of opinions, we absolutely need a DC whose scheme fits our young talent.  We can’t just scrap guys like Crosby, Ferrell, Abrams, Mullen, and Arnette as well as Kwiatkoski and Littleton because they don’t fit the new scheme.

we need a coach who can mold his scheme around our current players strengths and then bring in draft picks and FAs to fill in the gaps.

basically I want a coach like PG, but one who isn’t inept. Keep the basic scheme, add in some elements, coach up the players and win!

• Like 2

On 11/26/2020 at 9:27 PM, Mr Raider said:

The one thing I do kind of like when looking back just statistically speaking was, they seemed to lack quality cover guys. They regularly gave up a pretty bad completion percentage, and QB rating, but that kind of seemed like it was a scheme decision. Because while they gave up a pretty high completion percentage and such, they compensated by being much better in relation when talking about YPC, YPA. Seems like his defenses may have been challenged in terms of talent but he had them fundamentally sound. They seemed to implore a bend but don't break defense, but in 2-3 of those years it worked relatively well because they could rally and make tackles.

Anyone else fed up to the hind teeth with the 'bend but don't break' type of defence? Or in our case 'bend and then shatter' defence.

Please can we gave an aggressive, turnover hungry unit like days of yore? 

• Like 2

I've really come around on Cle this year. I can't wait to see his 3rd year. A lot of DL seem to get better every year. Look how Arik Armstead exploded late in his 49ers career. Coincidentally, he worked out with Armstead in the offseason.

He's already a high quality run defender and has a decent amount of pressures. Obviously he isn't an elite player, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him start making big impact plays in bunches soon. We looked so much less physical against the run out there last night without Cle. Those lack of run stuffs really hurt us staying in front of the sticks and forcing 3rd and longs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I've really come around on Cle this year. I can't wait to see his 3rd year. A lot of DL seem to get better every year. Look how Arik Armstead exploded late in his 49ers career. Coincidentally, he worked out with Armstead in the offseason.

He's already a high quality run defender and has a decent amount of pressures. Obviously he isn't an elite player, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him start making big impact plays in bunches soon. We looked so much less physical against the run out there last night without Cle. Those lack of run stuffs really hurt us staying in front of the sticks and forcing 3rd and longs.

I further out we get from him being #4 overall the easier he is to appreciate. I was a big critic of the pick, but he is a good NFL player. His m.o. is length and strength--which is a good combo to anchor against the run. However, his lack of flexibility and explosion puts a hard ceiling on what type of player he can become. The fact that the Raiders have brought in two players who are polar opposites of Ferrell is an indication that the team knows his limits and are building up the roster to compensate.

4 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Glad you see it too. I'd argue Cle plays against KC, we see a different outcome. They kept running on the edges which Cle does an excellent job of setting. He's also a smart and instinctive player against quick throws that KC were using in that game. 

I get fans want 10+ sacks to be "worth" the #4 pick, but he's a solid player who's arrow is pointing up. 

• Like 1

The edges have always been an issue even with Ferrell in there. Ferrell is better then he was last year, but his limitations create issues and it’s up to the Raiders to notice that and bring someone else in to help offset those limitations and set a clear role for him. 

Ferrell has definitely played much better this year.  I think he needs a solid 3Tech next to him, one that can collapse the pocket.  Interior pressure leads to hustle sacks and a “team sacks”.... by which I mean one DL gets the initial pressure and drives the QB within reach of another DL who gets the sack.  

Right now we have such a ridiculously low number of sacks because it’s we rarely ever have more than 1 player get penetration on any given play.  There’s no “clean up” sacks.... and we simply don’t have the type of DLmen that can get those sub 2.5 sec sacks.  

If we can ever establish good interior pressure then Ferrell and Crosby should see the sack totals increase.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blazer026 said:

Can’t copy the tweet right now, but we’re 31st in sacks 

11th in pressures

19th in QB hits 

2nd in hurries. 

Would be so bad if we actually got sacks 

I've watched an awful lot of games this season and every team at least once and I simply can't believe we're 11th in pressures and 2nd in hurries!!! The only teams I've seen that probably have worse pass rushes are the Jets, Titans, Giants, Patriots and possibly the Vikings and Lions. Those numbers must be erroneous surely 😁😁

• 2 weeks later...

With PG gone I would like to see them let go of Arden Key accept who is he and that’s not a good player. Release Joyner it was never a match. Could he have been a good player at Safety? Idk but we will never know. Move on from him. 

Make a decision on Carl Nassib. I would personally let him go. It will come with a cap hit of 5.7 with a cap saving of 3.7 million. Have to just take your loss here. It was an awful contract  that everyone knew once it was announced.  

With the cut in cap they’re gonna have to attack FA with the mind set of not going after the big fish but go after some mid level guys who can contribute on the defensive line. 

Hey guys QUESTIONs. I'm a Cowboys fan and we had ROD as DC. He prefers a simplify Tampa 2 systems with all 4 DL rushing the passer 1st and playing the run 2nd. Do you guys think he will hold on to Johnathan Hankins? Additionally, where is David Irving? When he played he was killing it as our 3 Tech. 

3 minutes ago, atran35 said:

Hey guys QUESTIONs. I'm a Cowboys fan and we had ROD as DC. He prefers a simplify Tampa 2 systems with all 4 DL rushing the passer 1st and playing the run 2nd. Do you guys think he will hold on to Johnathan Hankins? Additionally, where is David Irving? When he played he was killing it as our 3 Tech. 

Irving is nicked up. On and off the PS at the moment. Hankins, anyones guess. The Raiders need a DT help and he's been their best player there.

Do you want Collins back though?