Raiders Defense

Rolni

11 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Ironically, he was put on IR and in the 2 games since, the Raiders gave up 200 yards rushing lol. Likely coincidence, but noteworthy. 

Pretty sad actually. He was looked at a lynchpin for the defense pushing the pocket inside and absolutely flopped. 12 tackles on the season 

Flopped? Only 12 tackles?

That’s pretty much what Collins has done every season he’s been in the league.... assuming you prorate the tackle Stats To 16 game seasons.

44 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The talent eval has been trash on the defensive side in the Gruden era.

Let Autry walk. Let Joseph walk (who isn't even a world beater but is a very respectable safety). Whiff on Hall. 

Plus scheme of course. Guys leave and play better. Guys who played better come in and suck.

Shelby Harris has also turned into a quality player 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

I just hate how we trade late round picks for guys like Zay Jones and Trevor Davis but not for Calais Campbell. Smfh 

Hindsight 20/20 but Campbell, Dunlap, Leonard Williams, our defense sucks and needs difference makers and any of those would have been nice. I would have even traded  for Jalen Ramsey... feels like we draft solid players but need someone to just make a difference on defense. On offense, Carr makes it work, or defense there is no Mack. 

3 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Shelby Harris has also turned into a quality player 

Hindsight 20/20 but is Abram really that much better than Joseph? Similar players in my eyes, athletic SS who are physical. Could have went a lot of different ways with that 27 pick like AJ Brown or DK. Both guys looking like top 10 wideouts 

Getting Dunlop for a late round picks sounds great in theory but the reason we didn’t, and which I agree with, is you have to take on his 10m salary.... and he’s not near a 10M a year player anymore.  I will concede his salary was prorated to 5M for the remaining games left.  We didn’t have the cap room to take that cap hit on and would have to restructure someone.

It’s funny how all my criticisms of the defense have turned out to be true....

Collins isn’t good and pure trash vs the run

Nassib was heavily overpaid and next year’s 9.5M cap hit (which is mostly guaranteed) was a really bad decision.

Our DL needed depth.... and we should have brought in a 4th DT to replace Hall when cut.... or just not cut Hall in first place.  I kept saying we needed a run stuffing DT.

We should have brought Joseph back given the little contract he signed for and the fact we could have used a cap credit to reduce his cap hit to dang near nothing. And once that opportunity sailed I kept saying we needed safety help.

I kept saying we needed a speed rusher.

I’m no genius..... these were common sense things that many of you were all against.

Oh and when I criticized Mayock’s mistakes I was being ridiculous.  To be honest Mayock’s been pretty hit or miss in the draft and made several key mistakes in FA.  He’s wasted tons of money.  I still like the him as our GM and think he can rebound.... but if you objectively look at his moves it’s below average.

Edited by jimkelly02

Besides 2021 outlook for 2021 defense 

Starting DE: ???? , Crosby/Ferrell 

Reserve DE: Nassib, Key 

Starting Dt: ?????, Hankins 

reserve DT: Hurst, ????

Starting OLB: Littleton, ???

Backup OLB: ???? , Muse/White 

MLB: KWit 

Backup MLB: McMillen 

Starting CB: Mullen, Arnette 

Reserve CB: Johnson, Amik, Dixon, ?? 

Starting S: ???, Abram 

Reserve S: Heath, ??? 

bring back Hankins. Idk about Vic Beasley and David Irving. See how they finish 

8 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Getting Dunlop for a late round picks sounds great in theory but the reason we didn’t, and which I agree with, is you have to take on his 10m salary.... and he’s not near a 10M a year player anymore.  I will concede his salary was prorated to 5M for the remaining games left.  We didn’t have the cap room to take that cap hit on and would have to restructure someone.

Which again is the problem. They don't want to invest in quality veteran talent on defense. Instead relying on rookies and mid tier FA signings. Or worse, starting a guy like Eric Harris.

Personally, I'd rather invest in 1 proven asset then rolls of the dice (Collins, Nassib, etc. of the world).  Then Dunlap thing is a disgrace. You have ZERO pass rush, a player familiar with the coach and system and you can get him for next to nothing.... make the cap work. The good teams do it.

Look at KC.... they somehow manage to pay ALL their star players. The cap is a myth. You can make it work if you want to bad enough.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

It’s funny how all my criticisms of the defense have turned out to be true....

Collins isn’t good and pure trash vs the run

Nassib was heavily overpaid and next year’s 9.5M cap hit (which is mostly guaranteed) was a really bad decision.

Our DL needed depth.... and we should have brought in a 4th DT to replace Hall when cut.... or just not cut Hall in first place.  I kept saying we needed a run stuffing DT.

We should have brought Joseph back given the little contract he signed for and the fact we could have used a cap credit to reduce his cap hit to dang near nothing. And once that opportunity sailed I kept saying we needed safety help.

I kept saying we needed a speed rusher.

I’m no genius..... these were common sense things that many of you were all against.

Oh and when I criticized Mayock’s mistakes I was being ridiculous.  To be honest Mayock’s been pretty hit or miss in the draft and made several key mistakes in FA.  He’s wasted tons of money.  I still like the him as our GM and think he can rebound.... but if you objectively look at his moves it’s below average.

None of this is a surprise really. The Nassib signing was completely awful. There was no upside in that move and we all knew it. Collins, there was potential and you're optimistic his former coach knows the deal there.  Agree on Joseph. They did add Randall who was later cut in favor of Eric Harris. 

FA is mostly fools gold. Elite and high end talent never makes it to FA, you gotta be willing to trade for it (Buckner, Ramsey, Adams). 

Mayock is a yes man for Gruden in the end. The first 3 rounds have his finger prints all over it. Knowing what we know with Mayock as a talent evaluator, most these guys don't fit what I've come to expect from him. Ferrell, Arnette, Abram.... all position need reaches.

18 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

He bounced around before landing Denver to be fair. Jets, Cowboys cut him after the Raiders did.

There's that and then there's the fact it was before Gruden was hired. Anyway, we're at the point where every ex Raider who's making one play for another team should have been kept and is great. I know the story and it has become so predictable. Karl Joseph is good? I only watched the highlights and seen him whiffed twice on tackles FFS. I guess he had no responsibility for the opposing team scoring 45 points either? If he was a Raider, he'd get bashed for that. This fan base is mainly looking for reasons to bash its own team and it's a real shame.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

But PFF said:

Exactly why I loath PFF and their nonsense stats.

Yeah... there was a short time in which I was excited about Collins because of the PFF grades and a few short Twitter clips..... then the lockdown happened and I had free time and NFL gave out free GamePass subscriptions..... and I watched the tape...... and it was alarming. 

The cowboys let him walk for a Reason.  They also Always kept a ton of DTs when he was on the roster and rarely used him in obvious run downs, due to his horrible Run defense.  The guy has no range... zero.  He either shoots a gap and runs right into the RB, which is incredibly rare, or he does nothing.

50 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

There's that and then there's the fact it was before Gruden was hired. Anyway, we're at the point where every ex Raider who's making one play for another team should have been kept and is great. I know the story and it has become so predictable. Karl Joseph is good? I only watched the highlights and seen him whiffed twice on tackles FFS. I guess he had no responsibility for the opposing team scoring 45 points either? If he was a Raider, he'd get bashed for that. This fan base is mainly looking for reasons to bash its own team and it's a real shame.

You have a valid point.... but Joseph is a little different.  The argument is he should have been kept because he’d have cost next to nothing..... we didn’t use our cap credit for resigning a veteran and could have used it on him.  We ended up with even less at S then the year before.  You simply can’t let Joseph walk for peanuts and then not upgrade at S.... when it’s one of your biggest needs.