Raiders Defense

Rolni

12 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

You simply can’t let Joseph walk for peanuts and then not upgrade at S.... when it’s one of your biggest needs.

I think Grudock really had faith that Damarious Randall would be that guy for us this season. And IIRC, Vic said the reason we didn't draft a safety early is because we didn't want to start 2 rookie safeties. 

2 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Heath has played better than Joseph this season. But that's excatly what i said in my previous post. You only see the flaws when the players are wearing silver and black which is quite the irony when that's the team you're fans of.

I think Joseph has played better than Heath this year.  Heath has a few interceptions but none of our safeties have played well when in coverage.  In joseph's defense one of those whiffs was him coming across the field full speed to try and stop Jackson.  Jackson will make a lot of defenders look stupid in the open field.  I do not like Joseph in coverage but like him playing the run.

Edited by drfrey13

Something I just read made me think as well. We spent 2 high picks on wideouts. Picks that could have been defensive help. 2 guys that rarely see targets. 1 dude that didn't even make the team.. While Nelson has been having a yr.(and inknow they had no way of knowing he would now up.) But since we are talking hindsight. What could have been done differently  with those 3 picks?

39 minutes ago, BigD1123 said:

Something I just read made me think as well. We spent 2 high picks on wideouts. Picks that could have been defensive help. 2 guys that rarely see targets. 1 dude that didn't even make the team.. While Nelson has been having a yr.(and inknow they had no way of knowing he would now up.) But since we are talking hindsight. What could have been done differently  with those 3 picks?

In a perfect world we traded one of those first for Deforest Buckner or drafted Kinlaw. Buckner would have been amazing. Could have still drafted a stud WR at 19....

then tried like hell to get Jaylon Johnson in the 2nd or another Corner. Bowden and Muse seem like wasted picks, I still have hopes on Edwards 

5 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I think Joseph has played better than Heath this year.  Heath has a few interceptions but none of our safeties have played well when in coverage.  In joseph's defense one of those whiffs was him coming across the field full speed to try and stop Jackson.  Jackson will make a lot of defenders look stupid in the open field.  I do not like Joseph in coverage but like him playing the run.

Joseph (475 snaps) - 153 yds and 5 TDs allowed in coverage for a rating of 105.6, 11.8% missed tackles rate.

Heath (354 snaps) - 121 yds and 1 TD allowed in coverage for a rating of 70.6, 2.8% missed tackles rate.

8 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

I see Abram is ranked 89/89 on PFF. I don’t normally trust their rankings, but he’s had a rough season 

He's cheeks honestly. It was a tired draft pick. The cliché "he's got that Raider attitude" and nobody cared if he can actually cover. The Raiders have the best offense in modern football to contend with in their division and drafted a guy who notably struggled with anticipation, coverage and lacks ball skills. 

Hope a new DC can save him. Need to get him in a big nickel role where he can find success.

He's among my least liked Raiders currently. He has no feel for the game. He's completely undisciplined. A constant talker who's play does not warrant it. A penalty machine. And a liability on the field to his own teammates on occassion.

He need a lot of work and coaching. Like sat down and rebuilt type coaching this offseason. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think Grudock really had faith that Damarious Randall would be that guy for us this season. And IIRC, Vic said the reason we didn't draft a safety early is because we didn't want to start 2 rookie safeties. 

I’m all on board with that..... except and it’s really a massive except..... Randall hardly played in camp and when he did it was clearly not well, hence he was cut.

why didn’t we bring in a cheap veteran to compete for roster spot?  We carried 4 safeties (Abram, Randall, Heath, Harris) plus a ST only guy in Leavitt!  And this is to start camp.... where injuries often occur, players thrive on competition and in a year when Covid (don’t need to be sick or test positive.... a false positive late in week or contact tracing) could remove one or more safeties from active list.

I could stomach what happened if we did bring in better competition at DT and S (and LB to a lesser extent).  But when it was blatantly obvious we needed depth

and competition and we kept cfl scrubs on the team AND there were cheap options available.... that’s what gets me mad.

Especially with her PS eligibility rules!  

hey if you shoot your shot and miss do be it.... maybe next time!  But when they sit around and ignore obvious issues then I’m gonna call them on it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Joseph (475 snaps) - 153 yds and 5 TDs allowed in coverage for a rating of 105.6, 11.8% missed tackles rate.

Heath (354 snaps) - 121 yds and 1 TD allowed in coverage for a rating of 70.6, 2.8% missed tackles rate.

The missed tackles number is bad but Joseph is in on a lot more plays if you look at the number of made tackles not just him coming in and hitting the ball carrier after somebody else is holding them up.  Passing stats for safeties can be a little off because of the position.  The stats vary depending on the site you use.  Heath got those Ints by playing a zone or help defense.  He still made good plays but it was not like he was lined up covering Kelce down the field.  Something Joseph is asked to do.  Those are also the reason why his rating against is so much lower.  Heath gives up a higher catch rate, more yards per completion, and more yards per attempt.  You have to watch the play of safeties and not the stats.  Plus Joseph did not get run over and concussed by a QB at the goal line.  I personally would take Joseph over Heath even though his stats look worse.

8 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Plus Joseph did not get run over and concussed by a QB at the goal line.

No, he didn't. He tackled some grass instead.

This vid is hilarious when you focus on 42 for the Browns. Can't believe some people actually praised Joseph following that game. You guys actually have no idea what you're talking about, don't you?

Edited by oakdb36