Raiders Defense

Rolni

On 12/16/2020 at 5:18 AM, big_palooka said:

He's cheeks honestly. It was a tired draft pick. The cliché "he's got that Raider attitude" and nobody cared if he can actually cover. The Raiders have the best offense in modern football to contend with in their division and drafted a guy who notably struggled with anticipation, coverage and lacks ball skills. 

Hope a new DC can save him. Need to get him in a big nickel role where he can find success.

He's among my least liked Raiders currently. He has no feel for the game. He's completely undisciplined. A constant talker who's play does not warrant it. A penalty machine. And a liability on the field to his own teammates on occassion.

He need a lot of work and coaching. Like sat down and rebuilt type coaching this offseason. 

I think the only thing he lacks is discipline.  Huge thing to lack though, but if he played his position with discipline, he could be great.  He has the speed and ability to be an awesome SS, just needs to develop discipline.  Hopefully coaching helps.

On 12/16/2020 at 5:18 AM, big_palooka said:

He's cheeks honestly. It was a tired draft pick. The cliché "he's got that Raider attitude" and nobody cared if he can actually cover. The Raiders have the best offense in modern football to contend with in their division and drafted a guy who notably struggled with anticipation, coverage and lacks ball skills. 

Even during the pre-draft process most analysts said he was born a decade too late and that his game didn't really project that well at the next level. He's more of a small LB than a true safety. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Even during the pre-draft process most analysts said he was born a decade too late and that his game didn't really project that well at the next level. He's more of a small LB than a true safety. 

We should play him like a small LB.  That would be fun.

33 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yup... and in typical Raider fashion, they have their minds stuck in the past and no idea how to draft for the current game. IE drafting LBs that can run and take away mismatches. 

The "plays like a Raider" cliché annoys me. It's not 1970 any more. Move the hell on and get with the times

2 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

No, he didn't. He tackled some grass instead.

This vid is hilarious when you focus on 42 for the Browns. Can't believe some people actually praised Joseph following that game. You guys actually have no idea what you're talking about, don't you?

One was trying to tackle maybe the best runner in the league while the other was trying to stop Sam Darnold at the goal line.  Big difference.  I saw the entire Browns team taking bad angles or was it just Jackson making it look that way.  He had 124 yards on 9 carries.

Edited by drfrey13

53 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Yup... and in typical Raider fashion, they have their minds stuck in the past and no idea how to draft for the current game. IE drafting LBs that can run and take away mismatches. 

The "plays like a Raider" cliché annoys me. It's not 1970 any more. Move the hell on and get with the times

I am all for playing him at LB.  5 DBs and keep him in the box and covering RBs or spying the QB.  I thought he was the reason we let Joseph walk because both are better playing close to the line of scrimmage.  I think Abram is a bad fit for Guenther's scheme were the safeties are interchangeable.  I could be completely wrong but that is how I see it.

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Hard to judge DBs when your DL sucks. Kinda like it’s hard to judge a QB when their OL sucks. I don’t get how people always overlook this simple concept 

Wasn’t he always projected as a box safety even in the draft process range and matching up on TE was never going to be thing regardless of the pass rush right ?

I just saw these PFF rankings.  While I don't put a ton of vale into PFF rankings those who say we have decent talent on D need to look at these numbers

Crosby 97/110

Collins 125/127

Littleton 76/86

Arnette 100/126

Joyner 108/126

Harris 65/89

Abram 89/89

Absolutely putrid numbers for key contributors on our D.  You can blame Gunther all you want for those numbers but the players themselves have to take responsibility for their trashy play.

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

My thought on the defense: we need to find one thing to do well. I don’t care if it’s cover, rush the pass, whatever. Just invest heavy in one of the levels. Trying to build a defense by filling holes with average-ish players and young guys will not lead to anything notable. Get one unit playing strong and build from there. Alternating between getting gashed in the run game and getting picked apart in the air just has this team always chasing its tail. As it stands now, we basically just have to get lucky with one right play call and two offensive mistakes to get off the field. 

I had to watch the game in my phone so I could be wrong... but....Last night vs SD there were times where the run defense looked much better than weeks past and Raekwon McMillan was in on 28 Defensive plays.  He looked pretty explosive versus the run and made a moderate difference it seemed.  

it showed what difference having a quality run stopping 3rd LB can have.

So should we bring McMillan back?  And play him as a SAM on run downs with Kwiatkoski and Littleton.  Or should we draft a LB?  Or should we spend money in FA for a upgrade?

21 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I just saw these PFF rankings.  While I don't put a ton of vale into PFF rankings those who say we have decent talent on D need to look at these numbers

Crosby 97/110

Collins 125/127

Littleton 76/86

Arnette 100/126

Joyner 108/126

Harris 65/89

Abram 89/89

Absolutely putrid numbers for key contributors on our D.  You can blame Gunther all you want for those numbers but the players themselves have to take responsibility for their trashy play.

I am not saying they had a good game but they definitely had a better game than what has been on the field the past month.  Not saying they are pro bowlers either but not having Morrow, Ferrell, Abram, and Arnette is going to have an impact.  If the defense from last week showed up the Chargers would have scored 50 without OT.  With the exception of the wind bowl in Cleveland that was the least amount of points and 4th fewest yards we have given up in regulation.  Last game against the Chargers they scored 31 with 440 yards in regulation.  I think all of those rankings improve the 2 weeks.

6 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I am not saying they had a good game but they definitely had a better game than what has been on the field the past month.  Not saying they are pro bowlers either but not having Morrow, Ferrell, Abram, and Arnette is going to have an impact.  If the defense from last week showed up the Chargers would have scored 50 without OT.  With the exception of the wind bowl in Cleveland that was the least amount of points and 4th fewest yards we have given up in regulation.  Last game against the Chargers they scored 31 with 440 yards in regulation.  I think all of those rankings improve the 2 weeks.

The Chargers essentially played this game without Allen and Williams, if you want to play that game.  We were facing their bum WR's and couldn't stop them from scoring at will. 

Morrow is average and I am yet to be impressed with Arnette.  I was skeptical of that pick the minute it was made and so far he has shown that he didn't belong going in the 1st.  It was a panic pick after AJ Terrell was snagged by ATL.  I was hopeful we would land Terrell but that never happened. 

We all know Abrams shortcomings and Ferrell is certainly the player that was most missed.  He has been playing well as of late and not having him hurt us.