Raiders Defense

Rolni

3 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

It's the same issue he had vs KC when it mattered. Leaving your zone wide open is a huge problem because it throws the whole D off.

Maybe because the defense sucks... Abram felt he had to go “Kobe” and be Superman out there. Abram prolly felt he couldn’t count on his teammates (I don’t blame him with guys like Leavitt, Worley) so he was trying to do more... get Abram a real pass rush and free safety and he will be fine...

Watching the Broncos game again and on that Jeudy play for that long TD. Abram again trusted his eyes instead of using his brain. He needs to do a complete 180 to become playable. Raiders have to be smart and have a trusted vet behind him next season in case things don’t change with him. 

i like the idea of bringing in a DC with a DB background, Richard, Glenn, Morris etc, because i think we have some talent on the back end to work with and if we can maximize their potential we can have a really good unit to build around. 

Edited by Geezy

7 minutes ago, Geezy said:

i like the idea of bringing in a DC with a with a DB background, Richard, Glenn, Morris etc, because i think we have some talent on the back end to work with and if we can maximize their potential we can have a really good unit to build around. 

Glenn could be a sneaky good choice. New Orleans has been pretty solid at turning end of roster guys into playmakers for a while now. They almost never seem to miss a beat in the secondary regardless of who is missing.

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Maybe because the defense sucks... Abram felt he had to go “Kobe” and be Superman out there. Abram prolly felt he couldn’t count on his teammates (I don’t blame him with guys like Leavitt, Worley) so he was trying to do more... get Abram a real pass rush and free safety and he will be fine...

this is complete crap, no excuses, stop trying to be the hero and play assignment football. Its literally cost us games, and i like Abram. 

Agreed with those who say there is talent in our CBs. They're just young and need experience and a DC who understands their strengths. 

Safety is the opposite. Completely void of talent and at this point Abram is more a threat to our own players. Would love to see us sign Simmons, and then draft a rangy Free Safety. 

LB: Think we have a player in Kwiatkowski. Littleton I would give another year. Just think he had a bad year. Really need to add talent here as well. Nick Bolton from Missouri or Jabril Cox from LSU could be had in 2nd round and later. Also if Micah Parsons drops we have to take him.

DT: Need a ton of help here. Hankins is only player I'd keep. Would target Leonard Williams, if we cant sign him then Dalvin Tomlinson be a good starter for us as well. Really need a 3T who can provide interior rush. Looking at Nixon from Iowa, Wilson from FSU, and Twyman from Pitt. I think all 3 will be available in the 2nd.

DE: Ferrell is our most consistent player here. Think hell get better next season. Crosby might be best as a role player. Needs to add strength and discipline in the run game to be a starter. Beasley and McKinley are unknowns. Mayock is gona have to be smart about this in FA and the draft. Definitely some players in the draft I'm liking, but DC and scheme will be huge in who we take.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

From what I’ve read there’s a lot of communication errors and players being confused... and it stems from PG.  I think it was Will Compton who said most teams have something like 12-15 coverages per week.... they have like 40/50 in the playbook but during the weekly practices and meetings they narrow it down.  But PG wouldn’t do any narrowing.  It’s no excuse players should know all plays but I can see how this plays a real role in players messing up.  
don’t quote me on the exact specifics I’m going off memory and paraphrasing... while semi busy at work.... so I recommend looking up that story to anyone interested.

Also, the scheme itself is overly complex apparently.  Too many situational “if this happens do this” type scenarios in the scheme.  

And the fact that these issues come up way more in zone than man coverage makes me believe it’s true and that it’s causing the problems. Cuz in man just cover your man... but in these zone coverages you have to read and react and pass guys off if this happens and do that is this happens, etc.

we need to simplify things and let the young guys learn and just play.... that doesn’t mean you don’t scheme... you can scheme blitzes and line twists and coverages but you make it easy on the players as possible.

Possibly. When Marinelli sent him on a lot of blitzes and just let him run and chase, he played a lot better.

4 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

People trashing Abram smh.... bronco game didn’t mean anything, throw out the film.... 

Do we throw out the rest of the season? Because he was flippin' awful every week save a few splashy tackles. 

Can't cover, doesn't know his assignments. No ball skills. Reckless. All talk and can't back it up. Guy is PFFs worst ranked safety.... that was before the Broncos game.

4 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Man... I didn't know you slurped Abram so hard. 

Guy is a bust waiting to happen. Game doesn't translate to this era. He's a box safety on run downs in time. It will take a literal miracle to build him into a coverage player. He does not have the skills or instincts to be a safety in this day and age. 

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Agreed. Someone will need to get him into a box safety roll playing close to the LOS. He's the new DJ Swearinger 

Yes, keep him close to the LOS with easy coverage responsibilities or just blitz him.

• Like 4

we need better depth at S, Abram has free reign because who the hell are they going to replace him with? Way too undisciplined and is prone to give up cheap and easy TDs. We need someone who is going to bottle him up and hold him accountable. This crap is unacceptable. I think he can be a good player and has skills to play in the NFL, but he needs to lose the back yard football mentality and learn the nuances of the position.