Jump to content

Raiders Defense


Recommended Posts

On 1/8/2021 at 4:35 PM, Humble_Beast said:

I don’t value your output so why do you respond to me? Not reading your paragraphs, you have a bitter outlook. ......Don’t kill my vibe 

 

On 1/8/2021 at 4:47 PM, big_palooka said:

You don't value anything except your own ramblings, which is why you add nothing to the conversation.

Your "vibe" is not understanding how literally any of this works. You constantly pitch crazy Madden fantasies that have no basis in reality. 

Carry on EA. Don't you have a list of draft picks you've never watched to make?

Didn't see this. As long as it remains respectful, both of you can obviously write whatever you want. I'd rather you focus on the football though. Calling a take stupid is fine. Calling someone stupid is not.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How to fix this D under Gus Bradley?

 

We have our new DC and it seems like we will have a quality D staff under Gus. Marinelli is a respected DL coach, the reportedly arriving Richard Smith is a great LB coach and Ron Milus is a really good DB coach too.

This D will be a Cover 1, Cover 3 defense and with Bradley's and Marinelli's back ground we can make a really good guess about the DL play too.

Bradley uses the "Seattle guideline" and if we check Rod's Cowboys DL, he also like to use "uneven" DLs. What I mean by that is he likes his LDEs big and RDEs smaller, faster. With that said I think we can bring back the "5T strongside DE" and the "LEO" terms on the edges. Inside we will have a classic 1T, 3T in base and then two 3T/4Ts in nickel and dime.
Ferrell and Nassib are 5T's in this scheme for sure, Crosby is the question mark, but based on his size and quickness (lack of it) he is not a LEO. Takk and Vic could be options for the LEO spot, if we don't have the money to go after a guy like Ynnick Ngakoue (Bradley was the HC for the Jags, when they drafted him, so he is a fit). 

The Seattle roots makes you think about strong run killing SLB and then two 3-4 ILBs at MLB and WLB. Kwia and Cory fits in really nicely at MIKE and WILL, but they will have to figure out the SAM spot. Morrow seems to be too small and not good enough against the run to me, but maybe McMillan can restart his carrier there. Nick Vigil was the Chargers SLB in 2020 and will be a FA, so we might grab him.

At CB I like what we have in house scheme wise. Mullen, Arnette were high draft pick with press man traits, Johnson got the Seattle CB label before his draft and Amik could be our slot guy. There will be some guys at FA with system knowledge, so we should get a feel before the draft how Bradley and Milus feels about them youngsters. 

At S we will get back to the single high FS and box SS terminology. Abram has a chance to finally show life at SS in this scheme IMO and Heath seems like a good insurance behind him. We need to retool the FS spot, ideally with a big FA signing and a draft pick. They could try Joyner at FS, since he had success there with the Rams, but ideally we find a new guy in FA.

It will be a big question how much money Mayock will have for the D retool, so I made 3 scenairos.

Scenario A:
Gruden and MM clears serious cap space and allocate most of it to the D, since the O is in good shape. Also they use the draft to help Gus even more.

Carl Nassib and Lamarcus Joyner is let go alongside some O guys.

We bring back Big Hankins to be our NT.

We bring back Takk McKinley on a prove it deal to be LEO depth and rotation.

We sign Yannick Ngakoue to a good DE contract to be our LEO.

We sign Justin Simmons to a huge S deal to be our FS.

We sign Desmond King to a solid NCB deal to be our NCB.

We sign Nick Vigil to a solid deal to be our SLB.

We draft Christian Barmore in the first to be our 3T.

 

Scenario B:
There is money for some moves and serious draft capital.

Carl Nassib and Lamarcus Joyner is let go alongside some O guys.

We bring back Big Hankins to be our NT.

We bring back Takk McKinley and Vic Beasley to be the LEO rotation.

We bring back Raekwon McMillan to be our SLB.

We sign Marcus Maye to a big S deal to be our FS.

We draft Christian Barmore in the first to be our 3T.

We make some trades and find a way to draft speed guy Jayson Oweh for the LEO spot.

 

Scenario C
Where Grudock goes cheap on Gus, but give him some help via draft.

We keep Joyner to be the FS.

We keep Nassib to be the back up 5T.

We put Crosby at LEO and talk him up.

We bring back Takk McKinley on a prove it deal to be LEO depth and rotation.

We bring back Raekwon McMillan to be our SLB.

We bring in Abry Jones to be our NT.

We draft Christian Barmore in the first to be our 3T.

We draft the best FS prospect in the 2nd round.

We draft a LEO prospect in the 3rd.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rolni said:

At S we will get back to the single high FS and box SS terminology. Abram has a chance to finally show life at SS in this scheme IMO and Heath seems like a good insurance behind him. We need to retool the FS spot, ideally with a big FA signing and a draft pick. They could try Joyner at FS, since he had success there with the Rams, but ideally we find a new guy in FA.

I know Mayock loves him and obviously now there's the Gus Bradley factor. So do you think there's a chance they give Earl Thomas a shot?

Thomas has burned a lot of bridges and generally seems to be in a spiral atm, but the Raiders in the Gruden/Mayock era have shown a willingness to pursue guys like AB, Incognito, etc- who had their own troubles.

Would probably come pretty cheap too, as I'd doubt he'd have suitors knocking down his door. Who knows what kind of terms he and Thomas are on, but I guess you could pursue Richard Sherman too. Reuniting part of that LoB core. This Bradley hire for the Raiders is interesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I know Mayock loves him and obviously now there's the Gus Bradley factor. So do you think there's a chance they give Earl Thomas a shot?

Thomas has burned a lot of bridges and generally seems to be in a spiral atm, but the Raiders in the Gruden/Mayock era have shown a willingness to pursue guys like AB, Incognito, etc- who had their own troubles.

Would probably come pretty cheap too, as I'd doubt he'd have suitors knocking down his door. Who knows what kind of terms he and Thomas are on, but I guess you could pursue Richard Sherman too. Reuniting part of that LoB core. This Bradley hire for the Raiders is interesting.

I hope we won't go after ET. He seemed to lost his speed and he seems like a huge off-field/locker room issue. If the AB situation thought us anything is to keep away from fire...

 

Sherman could be an option, however I hope we go young and fast in the secondary. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rolni said:

I hope we won't go after ET. He seemed to lost his speed and he seems like a huge off-field/locker room issue. If the AB situation thought us anything is to keep away from fire...

 

Sherman could be an option, however I hope we go young and fast in the secondary. 

I keep seeing this... but I don't know just how much I trust a slow 33 year old corner hitting FA.  I think a lot of his 49er success has been because of the front seven getting pressures... Could be wrong I just really think there are other options out there.  Bradley isn't a big blitz guy.  Think I read only 16% of the time in LA he sent more than 4 rushers.  Our backend will be co-dependent on how well our DL fares and I don't want to put that much faith in Sherman.  IMO of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Totty said:

I keep seeing this... but I don't know just how much I trust a slow 33 year old corner hitting FA.  I think a lot of his 49er success has been because of the front seven getting pressures... Could be wrong I just really think there are other options out there.  Bradley isn't a big blitz guy.  Think I read only 16% of the time in LA he sent more than 4 rushers.  Our backend will be co-dependent on how well our DL fares and I don't want to put that much faith in Sherman.  IMO of course.

Maybe FS?  I've seen a couple people talk about us putting him at FS like we did C. Wood.  I wonder how well that would work; if he could even make the transition.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Totty said:

I keep seeing this... but I don't know just how much I trust a slow 33 year old corner hitting FA.  I think a lot of his 49er success has been because of the front seven getting pressures... Could be wrong I just really think there are other options out there.  Bradley isn't a big blitz guy.  Think I read only 16% of the time in LA he sent more than 4 rushers.  Our backend will be co-dependent on how well our DL fares and I don't want to put that much faith in Sherman.  IMO of course.

I said could be based on scheme knowledge, connection.

If we get outbid from the top FSs,  then hé might be a target for FS.

I hope we pass on him too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

lol... Sherman at FS. Can we please get with the times and stop trying to employ guys who were good 5+ year ago. 

Sign a good young FS, there are several and let him grow in the system. This team is not a stop gap away from competing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

lol... Sherman at FS. Can we please get with the times and stop trying to employ guys who were good 5+ year ago. 

Sign a good young FS, there are several and let him grow in the system. This team is not a stop gap away from competing.

We are all saying this because C. Wood gave us 2-3 stellar seasons at safety before retiring.  2-3 years of good/great play isn't something to just completely ignore.  For all we know he comes in and plugs the position for 2-3 years with top 10-15 play.  We could use that.  Its smart to consider all options instead of just crapping on everything but the hypothetical best possible outcome (trading/drafting/signing best player possible for every single problem).

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Jerry said:

We are all saying this because C. Wood gave us 2-3 stellar seasons at safety before retiring.  2-3 years of good/great play isn't something to just completely ignore.  For all we know he comes in and plugs the position for 2-3 years with top 10-15 play.  We could use that.  Its smart to consider all options instead of just crapping on everything but the hypothetical best possible outcome (trading/drafting/signing best player possible for every single problem).

Woodson was playing safety long before he got here. Totally different player and different skill set. He was a defensive MVP with amazing ball skills and instincts. 

Sherman is not that player and I don't see him wanting to be. And I'd argue his speed and abilities are fading to even play it well. 

I crap on these type things, because it's nonsense. It's desperation and looking in the rearview mirror to try and solve future problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

lol... Sherman at FS. Can we please get with the times and stop trying to employ guys who were good 5+ year ago. 

Sign a good young FS, there are several and let him grow in the system. This team is not a stop gap away from competing.

But Reggie Nelson was the GOAT as an old FS for us. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Woodson was playing safety long before he got here. Totally different player and different skill set. He was a defensive MVP with amazing ball skills and instincts. 

Sherman is not that player and I don't see him wanting to be. And I'd argue his speed and abilities are fading to even play it well. 

I crap on these type things, because it's nonsense. It's desperation and looking in the rearview mirror to try and solve future problems.

It was me that floated the idea. I actually think he could do it very well. Free safety speed isn't the same as corner speed. Sherman has very good zone instincts and knows how to find the ball/tackle.

 Not saying he's a first choice. I'd rather have other guys. But having a vet in the secondary is not a bad idea, considering all the youth. Someone needs to hold these DB's accountable and be able to make calls/read the field. 

Maye or John Johnson could do it too. I'm just laying it out there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...